RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   "Official" Redcat Electric Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/7153971-%22official%22-redcat-electric-thread.html)

kuppler 02-28-2008 11:32 PM

"Official" Redcat Electric Thread

1 Attachment(s)
Im starting this Thread because there is no Lightning EPX Tread.

here is a few pics of my new Lightning EPX..

And here is a [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tF3oUC9lEU]VIDEO[/link] Of my Redcat Lightning EPX

AffordableRC 02-28-2008 11:37 PM

RE: "Official" Lightning EPX Thread

You should make it the official Redcat electric thread, sum them all up in one. Nice Lightning by the way, love the body.

kuppler 02-28-2008 11:39 PM

RE: "Official" Lightning EPX Thread

ORIGINAL: AffordableRC

You should make it the official Redcat electric thread, sum them all up in one. Nice Lightning by the way, love the body.
ok.. yea i changed it..
Thanks
Adam

Chubbysdad 02-29-2008 07:56 AM

RE: "Official" Redcat Electric Thread

wheres the brushless????? lol

webbl19 02-29-2008 07:57 AM

i think some overtime is in his future first. lol

kuppler 02-29-2008 10:08 AM

lol....yea brush-less is coming.... need 2 save up some extra cash 1st.......[:@]

kuppler 03-01-2008 11:32 AM

here are a few more videos i made of the Lightning EPX Last night:::
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt7dUUHpVro]VIDEO 1[/link]
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyi96RDAA_8]VIDEO 2[/link]

kuppler 03-01-2008 11:43 AM

Hello,
Well i was wanting to know whats the highest mAh NiMH Battery the Redcat racing Brush-less system can handle....
i know hte stock esc can do 3000mAh with 7.2V-8.4V... But i have no Clue on the Brush-less......Im thinking about getting one soon.....and i would like to order a few batteries and a nice charger at the same time...
all the info would be nice...
Thanks
Adam
aka Kuppler

Go Big Or Go HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pede_187 03-01-2008 11:46 AM

There is no limit on mAh but on cells I've run up to 12 cells without a problem. JUST BE SURE TO WATCH THE TEMPS. This would be a great battery http://www.boomboombatteries.com/pro...7c_traxxas.htm

pede_187 03-01-2008 11:50 AM

I have [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXG87&P=ML]this[/link] charger but I would get [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLCJ6&P=ML]this[/link] one just in case you ever go lipo

pede_187 03-01-2008 11:57 AM

So as most of you may know I have a brushless volcano. I also was running f/r aluminum carriers with the stock bushings. I went to replace the bushings with ball bearings and found that one of the bushings was so worn out that it melted to the aluminum.

kuppler 03-01-2008 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: pede_kid

So as most of you may know I have a brushless volcano. I also was running f/r aluminum carriers with the stock bushings. I went to replace the bushings with ball bearings and found that one of the bushings was so worn out that it melted to the aluminum.
Wow... did you get the Bushing out??? or is toast... ???

pede_187 03-01-2008 12:23 PM

not yet, I'm working on it

kuppler 03-01-2008 12:32 PM

well the good thing about bearings... where rich and i work... we can take them apart and clean them.... hehehe alot of people trash them and buy new ones...

pede_187 03-01-2008 12:56 PM

Here's a little slideshow of my volcano http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i...o_slidshow.flv

UdLose74 03-01-2008 02:18 PM

I was wondering if the redcat brushless motor was equivelant to the novak 13.5 brushless, that is the brushless system several people are running in the class I'm racing in, but I would like to go with this redcat brushless if possible.

ehroof 03-01-2008 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: UdLose74

I was wondering if the redcat brushless motor was equivelant to the novak 13.5 brushless, that is the brushless system several people are running in the class I'm racing in, but I would like to go with this redcat brushless if possible.

i am pretty sure the redcat system is less that 13.5 turns so the redcat system is more powerful but i am sure its not that big of a difference.

here are the specs on the redcat system:

B4732 Car Speed controller Spec Instructions

Features / Specifications:

1. The speed controller is specially designed to offer high power and high efficiency
combined with low weight and compact dimensions.
2. Automatic cut–off , auto neutral setting and auto detection of all types and number of cells.
3. Perfect design for direct drive applications. The motor will respond to throttle input & accelerate instantly. There is immediately cut-off motor power when the voltage drops. Move the throttle to the neutral position & then push throttle forwards, the car will run again. Repeat above actions until the voltage drops under its battery’s specific low cut-off volt, the motor will then be completely shut down.
4. Over temperature protection – Status LED1 lights in solid red and Motor will be intermittently turned off when the temperature reaches around 95°c. Optional vent fan is available for selection to enhance the ESC ventilation.
5. Fail safe mode – While detecting out any abnormal signal or signal fail between transmitter &
receiver for about 2 seconds, the controller will cut off the motor power automatically. Once the
Signal gets back to normal, the system will auto-turn on again.
6. Specifications
6.1 Input voltage : 7.2V ~ 12V DC Ni-Cd / Ni-Mh battery
6.2 Output : Max. 540w/60sec, 225A (at 25°c ) 150A (at 100°c ) under good ventilation
Support: A < 5000KV 540S(36X50) motor ( 1/10 car)
B < 4000KV 540S(36X50) motor (1/10 cross-country car )
C < 3500KV 540L(36X60) motor (1/10 big-wheel car)
6.3 BEC : 5V 1A
6.4 Mosfet (inner resistance): 0.0166mΩ
6.4 Weight : 90g (fan excluded )
6.5 Dimension : 45mmx50mmx27 mm
6.6 Exhaust fan: 5v DC, on/off being controlled by system power

Operating Instructions:

1. Install the ESC according to the diagram shown below, Switch on the transmitter, Switch on the ESC power
2. Lift the car with the 4 wheels un-touching. Adjust & make sure the throttle forward direction
coincides with the ESC forward direction.
3. Right after turn on the power of the ESC, it will denote a series sound indicating the ESC is starting work. It will
then auto-setting the throttle Neutral denoted by LED2 in which fast inter-flashing with yellow & red light. While
succeed in setting neutral, It will then denoted by another confirmation sound & the LED2 will slowly inter-flash
with yellow & red light. If it is failed setting neutral, there will be no any confirmation sound. Please re-do &
re-check the system again starting from step1 of this instruction. This ESC is applicable to the transmitter with
the setting of 1/2 throttle & 1/2 brake/reverse.
4. Slowly push the throttle trigger forwards, the LED2 will be slowly flashing in red light. The flashing speed should
be proportional to the extent of the throttle acceleration. At the full speed, the LED2 will be in solid red light. If the
throttle forward direction does not coincide with the ESC forward direction, the light color will be in yellow not red.
Change the throttle reversing switch of the transmitter will correct the non-coincidence problem.
5. Motor rotating direction - Slowly apply throttle to check if the motor is rotating in the correct direction you desired.
To reverse the direction of the motor, switch any two of the motor wire
connections. Note : Do not reverse the battery wire connections! Reversing the battery polarity will permanently damage the ESC.
6. 1stly, trial running starting with a small gear motor for 2~3 minutes, measure the temperatures of both Esc & motor. If both temperatures are close with each other, they are at good match. The gear ratio can then be properly adjusted to optimum according to the features of the courses. However, It’s very important to always keep both temperatures under 100 °c, while adjusting the gear ratio. Otherwise the demagnetization of the motor will
happen, the motor efficiency will drop dramatically & the temperature will also raise up very quickly. Most
battery power is now wasted on heat nothing on motor efficiency.
7. It’s ok to replace a higher gear ratio or a higher KV motor while the temperature of the ESC is under 80 °c. But it
should be done according to para 6 described, from small to bigger. Unless the kv value of the original motor is
very low enough, It should replace a motor with lower kv value when the input battery voltage is changed to a
higher level. The ESC will be burnt if the motor doesn’t be properly changed while input voltage is changed. See
example below on the current changed inside motor while input voltage is changed;
Input 7.2V, inner resitance 0.18Ω --- 40A (V/R=I 7.2/0.18=40)
Input11.1V inner resistance 0.18Ω --- 61.6A (V/R=I 11.1/0.18=61.6)
8. Driving forward
Pull throttle trigger forward, the car will be in hard start mode, with very fast initial start, none delay acceleration, using the
minimum time to reach the full speed from still. Perfectly respond to the signal of the instantly acceleration. The braking
will be actuated by reversing throttle direction while driving forwards. Interval or spot braking can always be
controlled perfectly while driving forwards except when the driving speed drops to certain low level or slip driving
happens, which will then reverse to drive backwards after reversing the throttle direction.
9. Driving backwards
By reversing the throttle direction when car is in still or very low speed forward driving, the car will be driving
backwards. The braking will be actuated by reversing throttle direction while driving backwards. By reversing
throttle direction during driving backwards, it will get only a brief braking action & then reverse to drive forwards
instantly. The speed of driving backwards will be responded proportionally to the throttle input.
10. Warning
- Once the battery pack is connected, handle the model with extreme care, make sure you are clear of all rotating
parts.
- Connect the battery pack just before drive and disconnect it immediately after termination.
- Always make sure you are connecting the ESC to a proper power source that has the correct voltage & polarity.
Incorrect voltages or reversed polarity will damage the ESC.

UdLose74 03-02-2008 12:26 AM

thanks for your help

kuppler 03-02-2008 11:00 AM

I just saw Denis Video of his Volcano Brush less.... all i can say is that thing is NUTS!!!!!!! Does anyone have a Lightning with a brush less setup?? I would love to see one running...
i am going to order a brush less system sometime this coming week.......probly wed or thurs....... i soooo cant wait........
so the Redcat brush less setup can handle a 4000+ mAH Battery and a 6 or 7 cell???

pede_187 03-02-2008 11:15 AM

It runs crazy cool on 6 cells. Cool on 8 cells too. I've done it all the way up to 12 cells

kuppler 03-02-2008 11:22 AM

12 cell of what tho??? 4000+maH or the stock 1800-3000 ??????
Also on the Brush less setup what Volts can it hold up to 7.2 or 8.4 volt.????

pede_187 03-02-2008 11:28 AM

My 12 cell 4200mAh will be around 16-17v when fully charged.

kuppler 03-02-2008 11:35 AM

16-17volts... wow.....

pede_187 03-02-2008 11:36 AM

yeah, a bit fast, LOL

Here is a video of it in my stampede geared 35/76 on 12 cells http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ha99lrwG8-U

kuppler 03-02-2008 11:40 AM

sweet... i cant wait to get mine.........