RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Bad day (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/7676695-bad-day.html)

Swamp3r 06-29-2008 11:50 PM

Bad day

Keep in mind I only have one radio and receiver the replacement radio is not working.Monsoon fires up with one pull and dies prime again it fires first pull and dies replaced the glowplug same thing got mad swapped over to my hurricane 3 pulls it fires but the pull sart didn't go back in my fault. So I tried my tsunami fired after 2 pulls ran 2 tanks did a jump broke the shock tower and lost a bone. I was all excited to run today. Do you guys have a hard time keeping a truck running when it's like 32 degrees

Syclone354 06-30-2008 07:31 AM

RE: Bad day

I know how that feels. Ive had days like that when you get all geared up to run, go out and get less than a tank and break something.

stagga 06-30-2008 01:14 PM

my weekend wasnt so great either. i didn't really break anything...im just runnin on old broken down parts. my car stays stuck in 2nd gear, tires are bald, shock towers are bent, shocks leaking oil, i THOUGHT my steering servo was dead...but there was just a rock stuck stopping the arm from turning right lol. i have 2 shipments coming soon tho. new clutch (both set ups), new pinion gears, new clutch bell, new tires, new shock towers...just a whole bunch of stuff :D waiting patiently until then. im sure i'll have a couple questions about putting some of the new stuff on.

but keep ur head up swamp. better days ahead!

el_tonto 06-30-2008 04:12 PM

Swamp3r - LSN is possibly too lean. Priming sends fuel to the engine, so the first few seconds the engine has fuel, but because it's too lean it quickly dies. Prime again gives it lots of fuel, but then it runs lean and dies. A blockage in your fuel line or somewhere is also possible. Priming might be enough to squeeze some fuel through the blockage, but stand-alone running might not.

Stang444 06-30-2008 04:48 PM

Are redcat racing trucks really worth it??? Or should I take my money elsewhere?

tornbb 06-30-2008 07:53 PM

i dont know thats up to you. i have issues with mine but i love it. any brand is bound to have issues.my friends got a savage. hes had problems with his. starting .breaking stuff. ect. happens to every one.you just have to pay to play thats all.ive got a bb and i beat the crap out of it. havent stripped one gear in it yet.broken rear dog bones, but thats due to a worn drive cup. and i hear about stripped gears all the time.when you buy one, or any rc. you must check out every thing before you play with it. checking screws, gear meshes. electronics. and other functions. will save you in the long run.as well as proper maintanence and break in.but like i said thats up to you

firebird78 06-30-2008 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Stang444

Are redcat racing trucks really worth it??? Or should I take my money elsewhere?

its all in who you talk to...anything you buy will give you trouble if your new to rc...it takes a bit to learn whats going on....if your wanting to buy your first nitro I wouldnt suggest a 1/10th scale...I would go with a 1/8th...yeah they are a lil more money but you get a better more durable rc.... with a redcat you most likely will have to order parts online...to me this isnt a big deal cause I live so far away from a lhs.. plus the lhs may not always have what you need...there are some good redcat dealers that will ship your parts fast..will have them in 3 to 4 days...I would suggest buying spare front end parts....I have 5 rc's and all of them are the so call chinese knockoffs and Im pleased with them all

chevyderek72 06-30-2008 11:22 PM

i love redcats, i bought my first one and when im ready to buy next one its going to be the 1/8th avalanche. i woud very much rather have a redcat than any other brand, your just paying for the name.

SAVAGEJIM 07-01-2008 07:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Swamp3r

Keep in mind I only have one radio and receiver the replacement radio is not working.Monsoon fires up with one pull and dies prime again it fires first pull and dies replaced the glowplug same thing got mad swapped over to my hurricane 3 pulls it fires but the pull sart didn't go back in my fault. So I tried my tsunami fired after 2 pulls ran 2 tanks did a jump broke the shock tower and lost a bone. I was all excited to run today. Do you guys have a hard time keeping a truck running when it's like 32 degrees
Since you are a fair bit more advanced into the hobby, you might want to consider upgrading to an aftermarket mid-grade radio since RTR radios are usually the lowest grade. For example, a JR, Spektrum, Futaba (preferrably with 2.4GHz modules and RXs) would be superior for all of you models, and since these have the multi-modle memory, these will do everything you AM radio does, and more.

As for the engin starting and dying, I assume you retuned it as you went along before you finally gave up on starting it and moved onto the next RC. For the monsoon engine, how many gallons of fuel have you put though it? If you hit 8 or more gallons, it could be that the piston & sleeve are worn out and are due for a replacement. This is easy to do, but you will have to check with Redcat to see if they sell engine rebuild kits. Alternateively, if Rdcat does not sell rebuilds, you can go to any other HSP reseller, like Exceed, Himoto (and Academy, I think) and see if they too sell the rebuild kits for their HSP counteparts (I do not know what Himoto or Exceed calls their HSP equivalent of the Monsoon). Or, if this engine is an SH (GoldenLion), then hit the net for any SH engine sites, SH engines are everywere and finding rebuild kits for these are very very easy.

As for pullstarts, many live and die by them and will never use any othe form of starting. But as for me, I preferr rotostart since it is more idiot-proof for me. I too have ruined too many pullstarters, mostly from my own fault, and I switched to roto to eliminate that user error.

Since you mention it is cold, do you take the precaution of preheating them? I personally will not preheat a fully broken in engine if the outside temp is 70degrees F or more, but if it is freezing point or colder, I always take the precaution to preheat the engine to as close to 200degrees F befoe trying to start. I find it saves me alot of potential problems.

I am not telling you what to do, these are only suggestions to try to get you back running again. I hope this helps.

Swamp3r 07-01-2008 02:57 PM

Well I have the monsoon(broken fuel line it was rubbing on the cooling head was just a pin hole) and hurricane running again recoiled my pullstart, I don't know if anyone has done that before but it was tough, just waiting on parts for my tsunami now. Today is a good day lol. Also I do agree with you on the radio I want to get a spektrum dx 3.

ugly duck 07-01-2008 03:02 PM

I shudder to think about how many pullstarts I've repaired... spent 6 years as a golf course mechanic so now they're pretty darn easy for me to do. There are some designs that are just TERRIBLE - from what I've seen the SH ones ain't bad!

Swamp3r 07-01-2008 04:16 PM

Ya I just kept coiling it between my thumb and index then put 2 sninny pieces of duct tape on it put it back in place then cut the duct tape. Just wish I would of thought of it sooner.

Stang444 07-01-2008 06:46 PM

Alright cool guys, for my first nitro, I`ll look towards the redcats!

Swamp3r 07-02-2008 02:31 AM

I own 3 redcats Stang444 ya I had issues that day but they were all my fault due to stupidity and trying to jump something I should of drove around I highly recommend a redcat and I didn't do the jump right so my tsunami took the bash if I would of jumped proper rather than just bash cause I was mad at my other trucks I bet my tsunami would be fine but all of this was my stupidity the trucks stand up great.

Stang444 07-02-2008 04:29 PM

cool!!!!!