RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Redcat "rockslide" crawler (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/8061457-redcat-%22rockslide%22-crawler.html)

cartronicshn 10-18-2008 06:28 PM

Redcat "rockslide" crawler

I think it's cool redcat is getting in on the crawling world, it's the biggest expanding segment of the hobby right now, i currently own around 12 crawlers, from 1.9, 2.2 and super categories, i hope you guys have done the appropiate research to make this first truck a hit in the crawling community, if you guys need any help i hope i can be of assistance[8D], i can also be a tester if you guys need one;).

tylervalentine 10-19-2008 02:22 PM

RE: Redcat "rockslide" crawler

I second that. lol.

amf66 10-19-2008 09:24 PM

I'll test the new crawler!! Just as long as I get to keep it! :D

yaris 10-21-2008 06:54 AM

there is a vid on youtube of the redcat booth at Ihobby expo where you can see the crawler a others new products

[link]http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=0uIXB3HkPDQ[/link]

cartronicshn 10-21-2008 08:39 AM

Yup, ive seen all the pics and vids of what's coming for RR, but the rockslide is the one scheduled to be sold to us by next month.

r\c justin 10-21-2008 09:28 PM

I want to see the rally car!!

cartronicshn 10-25-2008 04:48 PM

Any updates of when they will be in stock? any pics of the demos? any info or input so i can pass it on to the crawling community?

r\c justin 10-25-2008 06:05 PM

there's is another post on here that has the half way dates.. it talks about the crawler, but its going to be ele.. dunno how thats will work out? i would think u would need nitro..

VancouverHobbies 11-11-2008 01:13 AM

Rockslide Crawler should be by the end of November 2008. Only one bad vid on Youtube right now that I can find. Just search for Redcat Crawler and you'll find it. Also search for HSP Crawler to see a similar crawler. It's not identical but looks close.

Sounds like the 1/5 Rally will be a couple more months though

liftedf150 12-09-2008 08:18 PM

Just pulled my new redcat rockslide out of the box. it looks awesome the suspenion seams to work very good. but keep in mind this is my first time with a crawler too. just decided to get into crawling. :D:D

schlags62 12-09-2008 11:36 PM

ORIGINAL: liftedf150

Just pulled my new redcat rockslide out of the box. it looks awesome the suspenion seams to work very good. but keep in mind this is my first time with a crawler too. just decided to get into crawling. :D:D
Let me know what you think of it since I also will be a crawler noob!

Konopacky 12-14-2008 09:09 PM

another dead post, am I the only person that has any feedback on these?

cartronicshn 03-28-2009 07:09 PM

Any new feedback on these crawlers?

RCToysNh 03-31-2009 05:17 AM

Every one we have sold to has positive responses. Here is one of the most recent from one of our customers,

Dear rctoysnh,

I would just like to say that I would recomend this product... So far I havent found much of anything to challenge it ( its that GOOD ) built very well and the electronics seem to be free of glitching unlike some rc's ive owned... very percise

I would buy this crawler again, I looked for a month or so for the right one and I believe I found it...

rccazy37

Red7 04-27-2009 02:11 PM

I just got the Redcat Rockslide today, so here are some first impressions:

Mostly plastic, but seems durable enough for casual use. Seems to have a pretty soft suspension (I'm not an RC veteran) and good articulation, with no binding so far.
The electronics have a smooth response, no 'idle to full on' throttle response, steering is also smooth. The RTR RC unit has several options for steering and trim, and the range appears good - over 100 ft right now.

I like the 4WS and the option to go 'crab' or rear steer only. I have a loose rock/rubble hill just outside, and today I tried going up at both an angle and straight up. I got cleanly up both times with minimal wheel spin, so the lack of locking diffs didn't hamper me. Another nice 'crawling' thing, the speed! It seems to have a top speed of about 4mph or so on the flat, and if 2 standard 6 cell stick batteries are used (only comes with one but has room for a second) the running time should be quite long. It seems Redcat's 100T 540 motors do the torque/speed tradeoff rather well.

It has good ground clearance (remember, I'm basically an RC noob) and while it has 8 shocks, it isn't a 'stiff' suspension. The tires had only a bit of wheel spin on my rubble pile, and grabbed the slickrock sections prety well.

Redcat advertises this as a casual crawler for firsttimers, and, to me anyway, seems to have a solid product. I'll try challenging it a bit more in the next week or two, and post my results - or lack thereof.

RedcatRacing 04-27-2009 02:37 PM

Thanks for your feedback it is appreciated.

RCU should have the review of the Rockslide up this week and there is another review which you can find here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S3g9hLFmA4 (This will end up being 4 parts so keep an eye out for the others)

We will also have aluminum hopups available at the end of May for the crawler.

We believe for beginners or people that want to try crawling that the Rockslide is a perfect vehicle for that. It is not a comp crawler but instead a great all around fun vehicle to crawl with.

Have fun with it, and let us know if you have any questions at all.

Darin

Red7 05-10-2009 01:38 AM

Hi gang

OK, another few hundred yards under my belt with the Rockslide now. Some further impressions (remember, I'm still a noob!) :

Either I'm improving at driving, or the Rockslide is learning. My backyard rubble pile has lost its' challenge. I'm now eyeing a semi-rotted, overgrown-with-weeds log and stump pile. The Rockslide, being a large vehicle with a long wheelbase, seems like it will fall short only due to my driving skills.
No broken parts... no dented parts... no bent parts... no complaints whatsoever about the mechanicals or electrics. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough? The steering servos have enough oomph to turn the wheels anytime, except maybe if you have it wedged really tightly in some crevass. Someone commented somewhere that the plastic wasn't up to snuff... for what? A nuclear detonation? Perhaps that teeny little bit of 'give' and flex is also what keeps it from being brittle?
One very minor issue, I'm not wild about the bumpers. Maybe the 'cat' look is in, but not with me. They do protect the ends pretty well.
I've never been to a crawler competition, and this is my only crawler, so I can't really judge how it stacks up to other rigs. I do know this seems almost unstoppable for me. The wheels just keep turning and it clambers over everything in its' way. I have no desire to improve it, at least until I find something it can't do. (No luck yet.) I do plan on replacing the body with a light aluminum plate to mount a wireless cam and maybe a microcontroller and a few sensors and pan/tilt servos - yes, I may make it an autonomous/teleoperated robot chassis.
But not yet. I'll find some more rubble and logs first.

Again, it is advertised as a casual crawler, and so far it has casually kept crawling. I do love that slow steady speed. One other minor thing, the dual motors don't appear to have enough extra room to mount one of those planetary gearhead reducers (they add about an extra 3/4 inch to the motor length) but the top speed is low enough already. Any slower and you could set your watch with it.

bpdaddy77 07-17-2009 12:14 PM

RE: Redcat

I've just purchased the Rockslide[sm=punching.gif] and this also is my first I love it my friends love the giant, I am very ROUGH with my toys. I do not baby them one bit I figure they are meant to handle some abuse(under normal use[>:]) and this rig does take it. I have not broken anything yet. since this my first all I can say is the very few cons: like the pointy guards should have been rounded off tends to get caught up once and a while, the shocks should be internal spring they also tend to get binded or caught up, and it would have been very nice to have a aluminum chassis the plastic one are good for what they are but it some times adds too much flex. All around great rig perfect for person just getting in to crawling though it would not surprise me [X(]if this with a few mods could be a comp crawler!!:D

traxxasmuddog 02-05-2010 08:34 PM

i also bought the rockslide 1/8 scale crawler first one ever for me to how do u keep the front tires on the rocks?

7M 02-06-2010 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: traxxasmuddog

i also bought the rockslide 1/8 scale crawler first one ever for me to how do u keep the front tires on the rocks?

Move the battery to the front. This keeps your nose down when the front of the truck is in the air.

Killer RC 03-07-2010 07:50 AM

Is anybody running a 2S LiPo with the stock ESC?

Chizzler 03-07-2010 10:43 AM

Ihave been running a 2S 25C 3200 lipo with zero problems. Obviously a nice improvement over the stock battery.