RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   1/8 Redcat Rockslide problem! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/9004870-1-8-redcat-rockslide-problem.html)

bpdaddy77 08-10-2009 11:27 AM

1/8 Redcat Rockslide problem!

1 Attachment(s)
I just wanted to know if anybody else has this same problem or is it me. I got a 1/8 Redcat rockslide rock crawler super class for my bday(now about a month old) I did the 2 2000mah nicd Redcat batteries mod(2.5 week after I got it) I got one great run power weight everything was perfect, but then the next day when I went to use the crawler it didn't want to move I thought I had stripped the gears(outside) but what happened was the center of the main diff gear had stripped. has anybody had this problem? and had help from Redcat to fix this? I checked the site and it was out of stock, I have tried to call Redcat the same day this happened but the mailbox was full and no one picked up so I emailed twice and I got nothing but three days ago(8/7/09) I did get a response but he wasn't sure if this is covered under warranty so If anybody has this problem I would like to know what redcat did for you.

Redcat Nick 08-10-2009 01:48 PM

RE: 1/8 Redcat Rockslide problem!

I just took a Rockslide tranny apart to try to figure out how you are breaking that part of the gear. I am not sure how you are doing that. The only thing I can think of is your are way over powered. The gear and the drive shaft fit together very tightly with out any play in them. I suggest upgrading to the Sealed diff upgrade part # rcl-T003 They should be back in stock in a week or too. For now we have the replacment gear Rcl-p009 instock

bpdaddy77 08-12-2009 12:04 AM

isn't supposed to handle the dual batteries that is the only mod that has been done to it. It is an item that you guys sell and it is 2 2000mah nicd batteries that you guys sell if it is not meant to handle it why offer it. I was crawling the front steps of my house it got up the first one on an angle then straightened up by the time I got to the fifth and final step it was hesitant then was moving slow at first I thought the batteries were dead but then when I went to climb again it really didn't wanna climb so then that is when I thought the spur gear was stripped(outside) but when I disassembled the diff this is what I found.

Redcat Nick 08-12-2009 10:24 AM

I haven't heard of this issue with any other rockslide yet. We have customers running lipo and other high mAh NiMh packs with out issues. I suggest doing the diff upgrade rcl-T003.

bpdaddy77 08-12-2009 07:57 PM

are they metal?

HeliDude35 08-12-2009 10:21 PM

Hello BPdaddy77
Hello RedCat Nick

I have also had this issue with just a single battery. In my case, I just put it off as rough crawling conditions as the Coral I have here to crawl on is VERY abussive. Not being anywhere near a hobby store, I came up with my own fix.

In the place where the suggested Diff would go, I placed a 3/16 steel plate there instead. it took a little dremal work, and a whole bunch of love, but well worth it. Now I crawl with two cells in parralle, and rougher terain than I did before, I have even tried to break it. The RockSlide just eats it up.
I'll go home tonight, and take some pics to post. I would recomend Getting a brand new gear, and installing the metal plate right off the get go, You should never see this problem again.

The only two problems I have had with this AWSOME crawler,,, are the front and rear gears (both now modded)
and the front and rear servo arms have both stripped,, Ihad suitible replacements, and have plans to get metal ones, I just need to count the teeth before I order.

I love the RockSlide!!!!

RedCat_Chris 08-13-2009 11:29 AM

Helidude- No need to count the teeth, If you are still using the stock servos they are the same spline as Futaba which is 24.

HeliDude35 08-13-2009 05:25 PM

Thanks Redcat Chris!!!
That saves me some table time, I can now order some cool metal arms.
I never got the chance to take those pictures last night. I should be able to get them tonight, and post them.
Even the guys with the 1/10 crawlers want the RockSlide. I am so used to seeing mine at 1/8 scale, that every time Isee a 1/10, Ihave to hold back from making a comment like; "Oh, you have a Losi Mini Crawler" LOL, Some times it takes me a second or two to realize I am looking at someones 1/10 comp. crawler!!!!!!!

bpdaddy77 08-13-2009 11:02 PM

thanks, I'm glad that I wasn't the only one with this problem and the more I looked at it I was thinking the same, a metal medallion or plate to protect the plastic gear shaped like the diff. please the pics would be great I like checking out pics this rig just to see peoples setup I'm going to lower the chassis to bring down the cg to help the climb and once I fix this I going to check out that drag brake switch that is on the esc and add some wheel weights to the front tires I already made the air holes bigger to give me more grab Don't get me wrong This is an awsome crawler The only thing I would change on it or can't wait to get are metal hop ups like the chassis, axel and wheel length links and axels.

HeliDude35 08-14-2009 05:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Redcat Nick
Redcat Chris
I need to know if you havepart numberRCL-H011 in stock. I don't know what happed. I can only guess that some sand got lodged in the treads as I was taking off the wheel.(sand is everywhere here) It locked up so tight the nut and adapter were destroyedwhile removing them....... So sad, the crawler is down untill I get the replacement in, and all because I wanted to help others out with my gear mod. The good news is that I now have the pics.

bpdaddy,
Here you go. I used the epoxy alone at first, but that only held for about 20 min. Then I created this metal plate.It is keyed just like the stock gear to grab the flat spots on the axle.
Iused the epoxy in stages
First I coated the inside of the gear everywhere the metal axle touchs the plastic gear, and inserted the axle.
Then I filled the rounded out gaps around the axle, and everywhere the metal plate will make contact with the plastic gear.
While the epoxy was drying, I tightend the screws and nuts that hold the metal plate.
After that set up for a while, I filled any remaining gaps within metal plate to the axle.
My intention was to never have to do it again. Idon't think Iwill have too.
Hope this helps anyone and everyone that strips these gears.

Now I need to get the parts to fix my RockSlide.

bpdaddy77 08-14-2009 09:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm so sorry about your rig I know how much it sucks to have your rig on display rather than playing with it, you did a great job on the mod. Redcat nick has help me out with my problem Thanks again nick.

Does it have a plate on both sides or just the one?

untill I get the new ones mine will stay on display also.

RedCat_Chris 08-14-2009 11:13 AM

Helidude- We have plenty of those is stock, you can order them directly off our website at www.redcatracing.com

HeliDude35 08-15-2009 12:18 AM

bpdaddy77,
I am laughing so hard right now!!!!!! I just looked at the picture of your hobby corner..... Mine looks almost identical!!!!! The only thing that would be missing from my picture are the boats. I have never messed with any boats yet,,, that will come later I guess. It is almost inevitable.
I hope your crawler gets up and running soon, Mine will be soon enough thanks to Redcat Racing and all thier support.

Have fun on the rocks.</p>

jenius8477 10-21-2009 04:21 PM

Amazing thread. I am learning soo much from other ppls posts. its great to not have to break things yourself to learn how to fix them XD

203_morris 02-03-2010 03:44 AM

does any one have a problem with blowing out the front servo, i have gone thru 2 of them and replaced both of them ,with in 2 weeks of each other, i just took one apart an let me tell you these servos are quite cheaply built one of the drive gears are paper thin if not thinner,and the smallest gear is press fitted into another gear, this gear is the one i keep stripping ( not stripping the teeth on the gear but the grooves that get press fitted into the other gear it sits on ,these gears are to small to repair, but cant understand why they strip.any idears, and has any one changed their servos and if they did what did you use, thanks</p>

bpdaddy77 02-03-2010 09:28 AM

I have not had the honors of having servo problems mine are all metal unless they changed them you really shouldnt of had any problems but if they are plastic servos I recommend traxxas 2075 digital waterproof high torque servo, they have 125 oz torque, digital and waterproof that is the only servos I use on all my trucks.

203_morris 02-03-2010 09:38 AM

the servo that keeps causing me brakage is an all metal servo,, do you think that to much weight could cause it to brake, i have dual batteries and a 1/5 body on my truck, its a hummer body but it really dos'nt weigh all that much, and it is lifted pritty high wheels do not touch body when it is crawling,, </p>

bpdaddy77 02-03-2010 01:32 PM

no if your not adding any extra weight the rig is made to handle the dual batts and a 1/5 lexan body might add maybe a few ounces to a pound that wont make any difference. are you getting any interference in your radio causing sudden spuratic jerks to the servos cause the are certain places i cannot run due to frequency yes its fm but you might need to change to dsm

203_morris 02-03-2010 02:24 PM

yes their is a few spots around my house in the yard where i noticed that happening but not at the time the servo brakes, i just got off the phone with red cat racing in az. and they are going to send me a new servo free of charge,  but this will make the third servo from them,, more than likley the last,, i dont think they like giving them up for free, i had a hard time getting it,, but i need to know what is causing it to brake these servo's are $45 a wack, i havent even been hard on it , i am in the process of modifying a 1/6 hummer body with all the goodys, but it does weigh about 6 0z , do you know f it is possible to use a servo saver even if you could get one to fit in that little space the servo sit's in, or mabe in won't work very well being a rock crawler, i am going to have to get some new servos once i put the hummer body on it,,

bpdaddy77 02-03-2010 02:46 PM

a servo saver on a rock crawler is not a good idea but if you noticed a signal interference then change your radio and receiver that is what is most likely causing your problems and 6oz that can handle that plus a little check the specs on their website after that i recommend the traxxas 2075 digital servo i has the power for rock crawling and it is very responsive plus it's waterproof

203_morris 02-03-2010 05:07 PM

ok I'll check it out..thank you,

203_morris 02-11-2010 01:07 AM

yea,, if any one would like to see what a 1/6 and a1/5 scale body  looks like on a super rockslide check out my photo galley 1/6 hummer and 1/5 firehammer

bpdaddy77 02-12-2010 02:38 AM

Great job on the reinforcement! and Great Hummer body you should look into moving the shocks to give it a more scale look!

203_morris 02-12-2010 07:47 AM

You know i was telling my self that the other day, but thanks for the advice, i have been thinking about it because the hummer body is very wide      14" wide and gets a bit unstable when it gets up on two wheelsthat are on the same side as the chassis, but i will work on it,, thanks Dave

huckdat 12-07-2010 04:43 AM

hello all,
was just reading this thread and the question came to mind:

i recently got the rockslide and in my kit it has a connector to run dual batteries ,the wire is set up for series but i understand the esc needs the wires to be set in parallel.

am i able to use this wire to run dual batteries or do i need to make one for parallel?

thanks
scott