RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Just got a Volcano SV. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/9049108-just-got-volcano-sv.html)

dakotanut 08-27-2009 09:06 AM

Just got a Volcano SV.

I just purchased a Redcat Racing Volcano SV. I was wondering if yall had any info on the .18 Vertex motor. I am curious what hop ups and things like that there are for this vehicle. When I get some time I'll post pics of it in here. I just bought 20% nitro fuel for it. Is this correct for longevity and performance? I am so excited to have a Nitro r.c. vehicle now. I've always had electric. Any suggestions as to what I should do to it before I start it up and bash?

RCToysNh 08-27-2009 09:41 AM

RE: Just got a Volcano SV.

20% Fuel is the correct mixture. You can go larger size on motor. HopUp kit available for suspension (aluminum). The kit also includes tuned exhaust (which can be purchased separate with a tuned header pipe as well). We have them on our site.

dakotanut 08-27-2009 12:22 PM

Your site? Have a link to that? What all is available. My wife just ordered me the electric start for it. She wants to play with it more than I do. I'm excited we are doing something together.

RCToysNh 08-27-2009 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: dakotanut

Your site? Have a link to that? What all is available. My wife just ordered me the electric start for it. She wants to play with it more than I do. I'm excited we are doing something together.
Kit Here;

http://www.rctoysnh.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=2652

Need anything else just email or PM us here.

chevyderek72 08-27-2009 11:34 PM

Im not a big fan of those shocks, they do work great, but bigger is better. These are from the 1/8th ultralites and bolt right up, ive got em on my electric volcano right now. And the pipe and header from redcat are great too, have em on my nitro volcano.

Oh i forgot to mention, make sure you pick up some blue medium strength thread lock and put it on all metal to metal screws, if you dont they can vibrate loose and thats never good haha. And break in the motor right, done skip steps or anything, break in determins the life and performance of your motor. If your wife is into it, your probably gonna have to pick another one up haha. Two people wanting to drive and one car doesnt work very well haha.

dakotanut 08-28-2009 11:19 AM

That is cool RCToysNH. I'm gonna be all over those soon. You are cheaper than Redcat Racing too. So that is a plus. I'm not sure what all I'm gonna do to it as of right now. I was really curious about the Vertex engine in it. I've never heard of them. O.S. and the other one that I can't thing of at this very moment. I'm losing my mind.

chevyderek72 08-28-2009 12:40 PM

You thinkin of sh maybe? the vx isnt a powerhouse but its a workhorse. so you wont break records with it but its a reliable engine. the sh is a step up definitely. for sure my favoritve small block, that thing in my old volcano s30 would idle for days. easy to tune and held it. and its nice cause its 45 bucks from redcat if you send in your vx

dakotanut 08-28-2009 09:05 PM

Well it arrived today. I just put it together. Do I need to loctite all of the screws and stuff? I'm so excited to get to run it tomorrow. Do I need air filter oil? How about glow plugs? Do I need some in different heat ranges? So I can get a sh .18 from Redcat? What about bodies? Mine didn't have the truck body. It had the Hummer body. Are there any bodies out there for it? I'm not real big on the hummer body. It has no openings for the engine head. Do I need to cut one into the top so it can breath? I appreciate yalls help so far.

chevyderek72 08-29-2009 01:28 AM

Run a hot plug like the osa3, or the mccoy 59. and ya you need air filter oil, i think you said that already though haha. Ya the sh engine with the engine replacement program is only 45, pretty cheap. And bodies are available from redcat, i wouldnt like the hummer body cause it sits so high, but if you get the truck the cooling head is just below the bed of the body so its easier to get to and start with the body on. You dont need to, but if you wanna start it with the body on, you will need to. If it needs cooling i cut a hole in the window so the air shoots right on the cooling head.

No problem man, thats what were here for, in it for the fun and helpin people out.

dakotanut 08-29-2009 05:22 AM

Ok thanks. I'm headed to the LHS as soon as it opens. Then to break it in and start having fun. YAY!

FP 4LC4PON3 08-29-2009 09:48 AM

let me know how you like the truck and so on. its the truck im looking at ordering myself

dakotanut 08-29-2009 11:28 PM

Well if my experience with this R.C. vehicle is any help to you, don't buy it. I tried for 4 hours today to get it to run. It ran one time with the glow plug igniter on it. When I took it off, it died. So I tried it again, this time the RPM's went thru the roof and as I was trying to set the idle like the manual says to it died. Never could get it to start again. So I'm emailing the place I bought it from and it is going back. If I have to travel to them and take it out of their hides. What a piece of ****! This is what happens when you buy something cheap. Now I'm stuck with all of this Nitro stuff. Just great.

firebird78 08-30-2009 12:05 AM

easy man....the engine is just set up wrong most likely...not always are these engines set up to run....I fought my first rc for a long time also...was so amazed I didnt throw it against the way..

first off we want to make sure your plug is good and your ignitor is charged (how long did you charge it)....take the plug outta the top of the engine and carfully put the ignitor on it (you might want to hold the plug with needle nose pliers so you dont get burned, dont touch the coil while you check it..lol)...should glow red...just see if it glows, dont havta hold it there long.....also check to make sure the cooling head is tight...you want to be sure to tighten it in an X pattern....then put the plug back in (doesnt need to be super tight)...thats if it does indeed glow red..lol

lets see if you know what tuning needles do what....now it very important that when you turn the needles all the way in that YOU DONT tighten them...ya just want to turn them in easy till they hit the bottom...

ok ..you want to turn the transmitter on and the switch on the truck on...dont start the truck...pull ur filter and set the throttle to 1mm open....once you get that done hit the brake...you want the throttle to remain 1mm open (reason is, if it goes closed the engine will starv for air load up and die)....this may take a bit...be patient

turn your high speed needle all the way in and then back out 2 1/2 turns....then you want to turn your low speed needle flush with the collar (approx 2 3/4 to 3 turns I beleive)....

there is different ways to prime the engine, this is the way I do it....I remove the line going to the exhaust pipe and gently blow in it until fuel is to the carb (little to no air bubbles)..put your charge ignitor on the plug and pull the cord in short sorta fast tugs....its not a lawnmowerso ya dont have to pull it very far...I usually put my chest over the rc so as I pull I hit my chest to make sure I'm not pulling to far

tuning is prolly the hardest part of nitro rc...I've been in it for about 1 yr and 7 months and still havent got it down to an art yet...but I'm doing better as time goes by....these settings should get you running.....I dont own a .18vx but I do have a .16vx....it is a very dependable engine, starts easy (once ya get it tuned) and has never let me down...its just not a powerhouse...it by the way was not set to were it would run outta the box

firebird78 08-30-2009 12:22 AM

and as I mentioned in the himoto forum...dont waste your money on the aluim arms...I dont suggest aluim arms on none of these rc's (redcat, himoto or exceed)...my first rc had aluim arms and I had soooooo many problems it wasnt funny.. you automaticly think they will make your rc more durable...but in all acuality they make em weaker...all they do is look nice...but they are far from practicle

dakotanut 08-30-2009 08:37 AM

Ok. I'll follow your instructions. Why isn't that in the manual? That would be a lot of help. Where should the idle screw be? Is there a setting for that? That is the only screw that I messed with. The plug is still good. I charged the ignitor from 5 o'clock in the evening to about 8 o'clock the next morning. I went by the manual. How do you set the throttle to 1 mm opening? There is no adjustment for that that I can see. How do you do that? Move the arm from the servo to the carb? I'm very concerned that this motor is screwed up cause of the high RPM's it attained before it shut off. It was way up there. That is what I'm worried about.
Sorry I got so upset. I was just so disappointed. The kids and wife were so looking forward to playing with it and watching me play with it. My buddy has a track at his house. It got unused yesterday. His stuff is all packed up so he can go to some event and race. He even had a hard time with this.

RCToysNh 08-30-2009 09:06 AM

Ok. I'll follow your instructions. Why isn't that in the manual? That would be a lot of help. Where should the idle screw be? Is there a setting for that? That is the only screw that I messed with. The plug is still good. I charged the ignitor from 5 o'clock in the evening to about 8 o'clock the next morning. I went by the manual. How do you set the throttle to 1 mm opening? There is no adjustment for that that I can see. How do you do that? Move the arm from the servo to the carb? I'm very concerned that this motor is screwed up cause of the high RPM's it attained before it shut off. It was way up there. That is what I'm worried about.
Sorry I got so upset. I was just so disappointed. The kids and wife were so looking forward to playing with it and watching me play with it. My buddy has a track at his house. It got unused yesterday. His stuff is all packed up so he can go to some event and race. He even had a hard time with this.
How do you set the throttle to 1 mm opening? There is no adjustment for that that I can see - front of carb.
Try these help videos for tuning;

http://www.rctoysnh.com/catalog/videohelp.php

dakotanut 08-31-2009 09:08 AM

LOL! Is that you in the video? I saw that last week. Pretty good. So I had an idea what to do. Now, I'm not so sure. Thanks though. I'll let yall know this evening. I'll be on about 5 or 6 central standard time. Monday 31, 2009.

FP 4LC4PON3 08-31-2009 10:17 AM

yeah trust me i own 4 Nitro vehicles, 2 onroad and 2 offroad. Dont get disappointed or mad. Nitro takes patience. My cars owned

HPI RS4 3 Evo+ 3.0
Kyosho FW-06
Mini MGT 3.0 Monster
OFNA LX ONE 1/8th buggy

Now i wont lie tuning on my RS4 is simple as hell. The one problem tho i had even with a name brand was Breaking it in was a Huge pain in the but. I ended up breaking 2 Rods for the rotostart wich cost me abou 15 bucks to replace. Remember also Tuning will Change day by day. When its colder out you will have to Richen it up some. All depends on Temps outside. Look forward to hearing how it went and once you finaly get break in Finished believe me you wont have these issues.

RCToysNh 08-31-2009 10:49 AM

LOL! Is that you in the video? I saw that last week. Pretty good. So I had an idea what to do. Now, I'm not so sure. Thanks though. I'll let yall know this evening. I'll be on about 5 or 6 central standard time. Monday 31, 2009.
No those are redcat videos.

dakotanut 08-31-2009 12:18 PM

I'm still scared that the motor got messed up that one time it went to 50,000 RPM's. I'm not sure if it went that high. It was way up there. I can tune a 1:1 a lot better than this. Never have had a problem like this. HI know if the engine is blown of not?

bkfamily1 08-31-2009 04:45 PM

Others may have additional input, but I think the only way you can "blow" a nitro engine is to ruin the pinch. Of course, I guess you could also bust a con rod or a crank, but that seems like it would be pretty obvious if that had happened. The engine gets its compression from a very tight clearance between the piston and cylinder - there are no rings in a nitro engine to provide that seal and compression. When the engine is cold, this clearance is super tight when the engine is new, and the engine is hard to turn over when it is cold. That really tight fit when the engine is cold is the "pinch" where the piston is pinched in the top of the cylinder due to the slight taper in the cylinder diameter from bottom to top. One simple way to evaluate your pinch is to try and pick up the vehicle by the pull start handle (assuming it is not rotostart or something). If you can pick up the vehicle by the pullstart handle/cord, your pinch is good. Note that when the engine is hot, due to differential expansion between the cylinder and piston, this gets a bit looser. Also remember when you finish running, it is important that you put your engine at BDC (bottom dead center) with the piston in its lowest position. If you do not, as the cylinder cools and the pinch tightens back up, you can in essence stretch the cylinder and lose pinch and hence compression. Running at excessive temperatures or with inadequate lubrication will make you lose pinch and compression. As far as running up to really high revs, I would think that would bust your connecting rod if anything. And the engine is probably limited from going too terribly high by the porting, exhaust header and pipe. Remember that to go to 50,000 rpm, you have to be moving that much air/fuel mix in through the intake ports and out through the exhaust. So it seems unlikely that you would rev so high to damage the motor that quickly.

dakotanut 08-31-2009 08:50 PM

All I know is that the RPM it hit was so feakin high to me. It was way up there. That is why I asked. I tried to start it again today. Still won't start. I set the carb like it is supposed to be and still got nothing. I don't know what to do now. I'm gonna charge up the glow plug igniter and try it again tomorrow. I hope it starts.

FP 4LC4PON3 08-31-2009 09:12 PM

i wish i was near you to give you a hand. try again tomorrow and if it doesnt work id start contacting who you got it from.

bkfamily1 08-31-2009 09:13 PM

Did you try to lift the vehicle with the pullstart handle?

dakotanut 09-01-2009 10:28 AM

Yes I did and it lifted the rear wheels off the ground with out falling. I set the carb that way everyone on here told me to. I don't know. I am going to the LHS and see if they can do it. If they can't then I'll be contacting the place I bought it from.