RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Need Help! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/9171742-need-help.html)

ponyboy1995 10-14-2009 12:19 AM

Need Help!

I have a Tornado BB that I have been working on. I flipped it and the cooling head fell off. When the cooling head came off it stripped the holes in the block where the screws go into to hold the head on. I tried using a bigger screw, but 2 of the holes still will not grip. When I tried to start it like this gas just spit from this head & block area where it is not sealed tight because of this. Any idas on how to fix this without having to buy a new motor? Your help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Joe

firebird78 10-14-2009 10:11 AM

RE: Need Help!

engine replacement program....the best option

spear1872 10-14-2009 03:54 PM

If you can find then, you could redrill the hole(s) and put in the right size heli coil. I use them and heli coil are super strong.

Mickstix 10-14-2009 04:29 PM

Might try retapping the holes to take 4-40 screws? (if there werent that size already) If so, step up to the next size.. Or the helicoil if you can find the right size.. If you dont want to mess with it, then the motor trade in program from Redcat is the way to go, if you qualify.. I think it's like $35 + your old motor, for a new one.. Something like that.. Good luck!!

ponyboy1995 10-14-2009 06:23 PM

cool, i did not know that they had a motor replacement program. I will look into that!

Thanks for your help!
Joe

chevyderek72 10-14-2009 07:58 PM

If you go with the engine replacement program get the sh .18 if you dont have it already, definitely a better motor than the vx .18

ponyboy1995 10-14-2009 10:27 PM

Yeah, I have the VX .18. Thanks for the info on that. I was wanting to know if there was an upgrade. What makes it better? I am somewhat new to Nitro so not up on everything yet. I got my Tornado a little over a yr ago and just started using it within the last 6 months. I used to travel for work and never had time. It is a great, fun hobby.

Joe

chevyderek72 10-15-2009 04:08 PM

Ya i love this hobby, it works its way into your blood, and your stuck haha. Well the vx is a reliable motor, but its not a powerhouse. The sh ive found deff has more power. Just to me seems all around better, thing is super easy to tune, and holds it. When my gf was driving with me a while back. I would drive the volcano s30 with the sh .18, and when she would have a problem or anything i would go help her out, and just leave the volcano idling. Thing would idle as long as you had fuel. And ran like a bat outa hell.