RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   How To Lock The Redcat BackDraft 3.5-8e- Volcano-Aftershock-Earthquake Front & Rear Differentials (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/9619367-how-lock-redcat-backdraft-3-5-8e-volcano-aftershock-earthquake-front-rear-differentials.html)

Devils-Reject 03-28-2010 06:19 PM

How To Lock The Redcat BackDraft 3.5-8e- Volcano-Aftershock-Earthquake Front & Rear Differentials

How To Lock The Redcat BackDraft 3.5-8e- Volcano-Aftershock-Earthquake Front & Rear Differentials
This Way Will Show You How To Lock The Front & Rear Differentials On The Redcat BackDraft 3.5-8e- Volcano-Aftershock-Earthquake..... and really any other r/c car.
this way will show you a way to do it that is reversible, meaning it can be undone

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDWBYqTS2f4[/youtube]
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"><span style="font-size: large;">
I Would Not Do The Front It Will Make It Hard To Turn.
The Rear Alone will Give You Way More Traction .
</span></span></span>

kart45 03-29-2010 05:08 PM

RE: How To Lock The Redcat BackDraft 3.5-8e- Volcano-Aftershock-Earthquake Front & Rear Differentials

Haven't seen that solution before ;) Let us know how it holds up over time.

Personally, I just use a standard 8th scale buggy/truggy heavy weight diff oil. Might try this on the center diff though when the surface calls for it.

Devils-Reject 03-29-2010 05:28 PM

RE: How To Lock The Redcat BackDraft 3.5-8e- Volcano-Aftershock-Earthquake Front & Rear Differentials

the hot glue will hold rock solid once its completely cooled and hardened.
that stuff is really tough and since its filled there is no room for the hardened hot glue to move to, so it will not let the gears break loose

one i did notice with this car. i got it in winter so it was always snow and ice outside, so the tires could spin and not grip up.
now that its spring and the tires are gripping, i have blown the transmission twice, the first time i was able to fix it, this time the gears are fried.
also both front and rear diff main gears are trashed and need replaced.

i love the car and the powerfull motor, but i am gonna fix it all up with new parts and sell the car and the massive lot of spare parts i have for it. and im gonna get the baja 5T

jigawatt 03-29-2010 08:34 PM

Another way is to use silly putty or a think viscosity diff fluid.

formula87 04-14-2010 06:44 AM

ORIGINAL: jigawatt

Another way is to use silly putty or a think viscosity diff fluid.
I have put in a new diff in my Earthquake 8e but it came with no fluid in it just a bit of grease should I buy fluid to fill it????????? Where would I get it?

Mickstix 04-14-2010 11:03 PM

I'd put something in it, if it didnt come with any fluid.. Most hobby shops carry diff fluid.. I've been meaning to ask Kurt (www.urchobby.com) if he has any, as I want to get some myself.. Ive just been running my Tornado and Monsoon with the stock stuff that comes in them. (if they have anything in them at all) :O

formula87 04-15-2010 06:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Mickstix

I'd put something in it, if it didnt come with any fluid.. Most hobby shops carry diff fluid.. I've been meaning to ask Kurt (www.urchobby.com) if he has any, as I want to get some myself.. Ive just been running my Tornado and Monsoon with the stock stuff that comes in them. (if they have anything in them at all) :O

My buddy put automoblie wheel bearing grease in his Savage Flux and run two 3s lipos on it. thing is nasty! what about a thick wheel bearing grease other than a fluid?

Mickstix 04-15-2010 10:07 PM

Im not sure how grease interacts with the "diff" action? I've heard the fluids make a big difference, but it seems like if ya just wanted it to simulate a thick fluid or "near" posi rear, some thick grease would do the same? But like I said, I dont know if that's actually what will happen or not?But as long as its not dry in there it should lube it fine and not wear it out or anything, due to friction/non-lubrication.. Let me know how it works!

Side note:I've always wondered what the difference in "shock"fluid and "diff"fluid was??I've got all sorts of different shock fluid weights, but not sure if it's the same or not?Anyone know??</p>

formula87 04-15-2010 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Mickstix

Im not sure how grease interacts with the "diff" action? I've heard the fluids make a big difference, but it seems like if ya just wanted it to simulate a thick fluid or "near" posi rear, some thick grease would do the same? But like I said, I dont know if that's actually what will happen or not?But as long as its not dry in there it should lube it fine and not wear it out or anything, due to friction/non-lubrication.. Let me know how it works!

Side note:I've always wondered what the difference in "shock"fluid and "diff"fluid was??I've got all sorts of different shock fluid weights, but not sure if it's the same or not?Anyone know??</p>
Sounds like a question for Kurt@URCHobby !!
Just read this thread
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6278408/tm.htm "Himoto USA" posted to use grease in the Redcat diffs if you don't lock them Sorry for highjacking the thread "Devil" I think I will try it,what can it hurt????

Mickstix 04-15-2010 11:09 PM

Definitely be better than running them dry! I have diff "grease", but I always thought it was for "ball" diffs.. Dont think it'll be any different than wheel grease, etc..