RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Is Redcat original? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/9679013-redcat-original.html)

bradnarius 04-21-2010 06:53 PM

Is Redcat original?

I was busy getting all amped up to buy a Redcat electric brushless truck but then I came across a few others that might be equally enticing.

Form what I can tell; Redcat Racing, Exceed RC, and BSD Racing have a lot of vehicles in comon.

Exapmles:

Redcat's Backdraft 8E and BSD's Land Zipper

Obvious similarities include the shocks and shock towers, the aluminum plate that braces the top of the chassis, battery restraints.

Redcat's Volcano EXP Pro, and Exceed' Electric Dynamite

Almost everything down to the on/off switch (of course excluding the body's paint but check out the fake mesh in the window). The length, height and motor type are all the same.

Redcat's Tornado EXP Pro and Exceed's Sunfire

Blue aluminum shocks and shock tower, bumper, aluminum chassis brace, upper control arm, length and width, even the colour of the battery packs, etc.

There are others, I didn't look into nitro versions but they are usually the same within a company. BSD seems to have similar vehicles to Redcat's, just not as exact the way Exceed does. They tend to have a different electronics layout.

This isn't to say that Redcat didn't do theirs first, how do I know? This doesn't say anything about performance or quality, just that there's copying (or some kind of sub-contracting) going on.

Has anyone else noticed this? (Am I figuring this out years after everyone else?)

I still want one.

formula87 04-21-2010 07:57 PM

RE: Is Redcat original?

ORIGINAL: bradnarius

I was busy getting all amped up to buy a Redcat electric brushless truck but then I came across a few others that might be equally enticing.

Form what I can tell; Redcat Racing, Exceed RC, and BSD Racing have a lot of vehicles in comon.

Exapmles:

Redcat's Backdraft 8E and BSD's Land Zipper

Obvious similarities include the shocks and shock towers, the aluminum plate that braces the top of the chassis, battery restraints.

Redcat's Volcano EXP Pro, and Exceed' Electric Dynamite

Almost everything down to the on/off switch (of course excluding the body's paint but check out the fake mesh in the window). The length, height and motor type are all the same.

Redcat's Tornado EXP Pro and Exceed's Sunfire

Blue aluminum shocks and shock tower, bumper, aluminum chassis brace, upper control arm, length and width, even the colour of the battery packs, etc.

There are others, I didn't look into nitro versions but they are usually the same within a company. BSD seems to have similar vehicles to Redcat's, just not as exact the way Exceed does. They tend to have a different electronics layout.

This isn't to say that Redcat didn't do theirs first, how do I know? This doesn't say anything about performance or quality, just that there's copying (or some kind of sub-contracting) going on.

Has anyone else noticed this? (Am I figuring this out years after everyone else?)

I still want one.

I looked at Exceed before I bought a Redcat but the cust service with Redcat is great as well as their dealers!

Mickstix 04-21-2010 10:03 PM

They all use the same manufacturer, but order different materials (plastics quality,ect.) and options (electronics, ect.) on the products.. And some turn out better than others.. I think Himoto has about the best "quality" then comes Redcat, then the others fall in line. From what I've seen Redcat has the very best support and customer survice, as well as parts availibility.. Note: This is all just my opinion and from my experiences and what I've "heard" through the grape vine.. But IMO you wont be disappointed in a Redcat! They've taken a few lumps here lately but they've taken care of the customers from what I can tell, and hopefully have the issues under control..

jigawatt 04-22-2010 02:19 PM

No one is really original... You've got Duratrax, Smartech/Nutech, XTM, FS Racing and the like who have either bought rights to a particular model to resell it as their own (ie evaders are Losi XX's), or they copy multiple manufacturers and make a vehicle from that (ie XTM's stadium trucks, mix of Associated and Losi)

catbob007 06-25-2010 06:07 AM

Yeah i bought an EXEED Beginners with a.21 engine and it rules And out lasts my Caldera I've had 6 gallons of fuel through it and it runs as good as the day i bought it amd never seems to break exept for bearings. I saves a but load of money buying from EXCEED.