RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Tornado S30 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/9822265-tornado-s30.html)

bushdog66 06-23-2010 02:19 PM

Tornado S30

Hey All,
Brand new to the RC car world so please overlook any real dumb questions! Anyway, I just bought (UPS delivered yesterday)two Redcat Tornado S30's; one for me and one for my son. The manual says that in need to check/set the gear mesh on the buggy. I found an online video that talked about sliding a piece of paper between the gears (this buggy has two cuz it's a two speed I guess) and whateverthatthing is called that it meshes with.Anothervideo say to fold the slip of paper in half. Which is correct?Also, the manal says to loctitethe screws. There are hundreds of tiny screws all over this thing, which ones should I do? My goal is to avoid breaking thesebuggies the first time I run them.Does anyone have any advice on what I should secure, reinforce, strap down, or loctite? Also, what is the proper way to break in these motors? The manual says to set iton a box and run a few tanks of gas throughit but the resellerI bought them from say torun them in 5 to 10 minute intervalswith a cool down between intervals for a total of about 25 to 30 minutes.I've read some horror stories online about people breaking the buggiesthe first time they run them in anger. I'm hoping this forum can help me avoid that! Thanks in advance.

Tony</p>

kelynsdad1023 06-23-2010 03:56 PM

RE: Tornado S30

all ya need is one piece of paper about a half inch wide and 5 inches long put it between the bell and spur gear pull it out if you see the teeth indented in the paper your mesh is fine. I would use blue loctite on the 4 screws on the bottom of the chassis that hold the engine but take them out one ata time and loctite each one.

basketballfan60123 06-23-2010 04:19 PM

First off make sure you have all the equipment that you need such tools that you need to maintain an rc.
I am sure you will be off roading so I would suggest a fuel filter; you will also need air filter oil, hobby grade super glue for regluing the tires, and blue lock-tite.
I would lock-tite any screws that are screwed into metal (aluminum) and make sure all your screws ( the whole vehicle) are fastened all the way down.

Log on to http://www.redcatracing.com/informat...otraining.html and watch these videos an also read the manual that came with your rc; the best knowledge you gain is by investigating on your own.

bushdog66 06-23-2010 04:25 PM

What about batteries; does anyone run rechargeable batteries? If so, will any brand do or is there some that are better than others?

basketballfan60123 06-23-2010 04:46 PM

Get one these
http://www.urchobby.com/proddetail.p...d=02155&cat=58
You will also need a charger; call Urc Hobby (516)499-7419 and talk to KURT
Urc Hobby carry redcat parts and whatever else you need; they have great prices and fast shipping and great support.
I highly recommend Urc Hobby.

bushdog66 06-23-2010 05:11 PM

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman"><span style="font-size: small">Looks like the folks at UrC Hobby are gone for the day but I will definitely be giving them a call in the morning to get the batter pack and charger on order. I'll ask UrC Hobby tomorrow but do you know if there is something similar that for the remote control as well? I've got a starter kit, that included the fuel bottle, glow igniter with charger, large and small cross wrenches, and phillips and cross point screw driver. I went and purchased the loctite, and a set of allen head wrenches. I need to get some after run, and air filter oil and I think I should be ready to start the engines and break them in. Can you think of anything I'm overlooking? If I could ask one last question, what and where are the dog bones? Isaw some info about dog bones falling out and there is supposed to be an "o"ring or 2mm fuel line fix to keep this from happening.Is thisan area I should take care of before runningthe buggy?</span></span><div style="border-bottom: medium none; text-align: left; border-left: medium none; background-color: transparent; color: #000000; overflow: hidden; border-top: medium none; border-right: medium none; text-decoration: none">

</div>

billymare 06-23-2010 05:42 PM

Hey bushdog....URC has some late hours...Kurt will take care of you...

bushdog66 06-23-2010 05:47 PM

I tried them at about 600pm eastern and got no answer....I'll try again just in case.

basketballfan60123 06-23-2010 05:53 PM

The only other thing I can think of is for you to invest in a couple fail safe device.
http://www.urchobby.com/proddetail.php?prod=03028 on
What this does is prevents the car from taking off by itself if you have some kind of radio interference which can happen because it happened to me on a couple occasions and if it does you will not be able to stop the car with your remote.
Make sure to do the break in procedure exactly how is stated in the manual such as putting the piston at BDC (bottom dead center) after every tank .
Check this video out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9uPLys90gQ
this guy has a video for just about anything you need to know about rc

bushdog66 06-23-2010 06:10 PM

Thanks alot for the help/info. I just got off the phone with Kurt and he is gonna hook me up with the battery pack, charger, and fail safes. He is out of the after run and air filter oil and suggested that WD-40 would do the same thing as after run and that the C&amp;N air filter oil is a good substitute for the air filter oil. I noticed that you stressed engine position during break-in. My manual didn't say how to determine engine position (I'll check again) do you know a quick method to determine postion?

Merc250 06-23-2010 10:34 PM

A quick way of finding BDC is to remove your glow plug and take one of the small screwdrivers you got in your kit and place on top of the piston. Then, pull the pullstart VERYEASILY. When the piston is at its lowest point is BDC. For reference, take some fingernail polish and paint a mark on the flywheel. I placed mine straight up. So now I know that when the red mark is at 12 O clock, my motor is at BDC.

bushdog66 06-23-2010 11:00 PM

Thanks alot....great info...I was able to follow your advice and find BDC on my buggy. Got another question for ya though; do you know how to remove the dog bones? I noticed that alot of people were having problems with them coming out and it has been suggested that putting a piece of fuel tubing or an o-ring in the boot then reinstalling the dog bone will fix the problem. Im just not sure how to remove the dog bone. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Tony

Merc250 06-23-2010 11:19 PM

To remove the dogbones, take off the front wheels. Next, grab your allen wrench set. Take out those silver allens on each side of the tire mount. After those are out, remove the small silver ball headed allen screws. This will allow the steering knuckle to swing freely, letting you remove the dogbones. When I placed the fuel tubing in mine, i placed the tubing inside the diff cups, not the wheel hubs. Itried it both ways, and placing the tubing in the wheel hubs made the 'bones come out easier.

Good luck!

basketballfan60123 06-24-2010 01:27 AM

Make sure you put the piston BDC when you are letting your engine cool off between tanks of fuel or when you are done using it for the day and while you are running your buggies and do you after run procedure after every use. Check your air filter often I say after every tank of fuel to make sure its on their secure and clean it if its noticeably dirty especially when you are running in extremely dusty conditions and remember that fuel filter.
I use "PJ1 Foam Filter Oil Treatment Spray" (you can find this at most motorcycle shops) for your air filter sponge which is used for motorcycles but will work just as good actually it is stickier than the rc air filter oil costs about $10 and make sure to apply it on both the sponge and the inside of the rubber part that goes on the carburator

http://www.hawg-wash.com/pj1foamfiltr.html

big hec 07-03-2010 03:57 PM

hello i need a little help i have the tornado s30 and i will like to put some seal wheels on but don't know witch one will fit the buggy can anybody help and let me know thanks