RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Shock Fluids - help! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/9969836-shock-fluids-help.html)

cswtornado 08-30-2010 04:21 PM

Shock Fluids - help!

I wanna make my Tornado BB a stiff ride, so that the shocks actually absorb impact instead of acting like trampolines. What shock fluid do you reccommend for a hard (but still cushioined) ride? Also, how do you install the fluid in the shocks? THanks. I need an snswer before I buy more parts, which is in about 10 minutes... Please help :)

rccrazer 09-01-2010 05:50 PM

RE: Shock Fluids - help!

the heviest oil i could find was team losi 100 wt. oil.<div>it works better than the stock.</div><div>
</div><div>the way i refill my redcat shocks is that i:</div><div>disassemble the spring assembly by taking off the outside spring, to do this simply take the lower retainer off the bottom of the shock and let the spring fall off.</div><div> unscrew the top and then empty the shock bodies it sometimes helps to move the piston up and down to pump as much oil out as possible. make sure to keep the bladder in the shocks cap!</div><div> then i fill the shock body half way with shock oil. then making sure you don't over shoot the level of oil. move the shock piston up and down to release any air bubbles from under the piston let the bubbles escape the oil. then poring slowly to not get more air bubbles fill it to the top. when finished move the shock piston up slowly to release exes oil. then holding the piston at full compression (not extension) place the shock cap back on and while tightening the shock cap with bladder in it, release the piston and it should slowly move down. do not over tighten the shock cap as this will cut the sides of the bladder off and cause inconstancy and leaking. </div><div>
</div><div>thread me back and tell me how it goes!</div>

Mickstix 09-02-2010 12:00 AM

Sounds like pretty solid info/procedure there RCC!! ;) CSW, you can also add spring collars or turn the spring retainer down, (whichever your shocks use)  to stiffen the spring rate.. It'll also raise the ride height, but can keep ya from tank slappin on landings, and also keep the rear from bucking (and causeing a nose dive) when taking off from a jump..

cswtornado 09-02-2010 05:42 AM

Upon doing this I found that one of my shocks had a stripped lower cap. I really dont want to pay $15 dollars for two shocks when I only need a 5 cent part for one. Does anyone sell individual shock parts? Thanks for all the great advice people!

rccrazer 09-02-2010 11:35 AM

try rc-tradingpost.com they have great prices on every thing and that's where i go for my stuff!

buttdud1122 09-05-2010 07:44 PM

15$ is a bargain for shocks... lol i would recomend fifty wt associated oil, check at your lhs!

Mickstix 09-08-2010 06:03 PM

If you dont want to buy another shock, you could try some Devcon 2ton epoxy and put the lower cap on permenatly.. Just be careful to keep the expoxy on the treads of the shock and not inside where the piston and seals go.. A new shock/cap is best but it could get ya back up and running in the meantime.. Good luck!

cswtornado 09-08-2010 06:09 PM

Thanks. I was going to just give up on the fluid instead of buying another shock, but I'll do that : )
!!!