Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Ultra Spad Stik 4 mil wing?

That'll work Richard.
    I got to looking at an electric motor I got a while back, and have a small electric in the works.
    Square fuselage and a wing made from coro and cellophane top covering.
    Can't get the 2 mil to curve well on the 4 inch chord that the wing has.
    tried a one piece 19 inches long and chord of 4 inches, just took a 1\4 measurements off the ultraspad dimensions and
    did 4 inches chord since 3.5 was just too hard to work.
    Then the 2 mil I tried cutting flutes longitudinally and rolling with screen tool, heating with
    hair dryer and I can't get a decent fold yet.
    THIS CORO CAN BE WAY FRUSTRATING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zw69673.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	1542850  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey Joel, have you see my coro build videos on youtube?

look up draftman3, there are a bunch of videos to show you how to build in coro
    RCCA #913
    building spads since 12-2007

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking good Joel, stay with it!  A 4" chord?  I'm not sure I read that right, but on something that small, I'd probably go with foam and one of the KFM airfoils.  If you're still looking for carbon fiber arrows, I know y'all do a lot of hunting down that way.  Go into one of the archery shops that does custom arrow work and they'll probably give you a handful.  The ends get messed up I guess by folks missing their targets and hitting a rock or something or sometimes the shop guy might cut one too short..... they just toss 'em in the trash can.  I get a load every time I go in our shop here.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Draftman3, Have watched you're videos and they are great. I am re-watching them as well.
    Patrick, been to the one local archery shop and asked about getting broken arrows but was told
    that they don't have any.Didn' think to check the dumpster, not that I'm shy about dumpster diving.
    The economic downturn is hurting a lot of the local businesses and people are not into giving much up,
    even if it's broken arrows that get thrown out.
    They rather throw them away.
    If you look back on this thread, I posted about the quotes for bending the landing gear. I am not making those prices up.
    The company that quoted $75-$100 has gone from 18 employees to 4. I had asked them about getting some work since I am a certified welder
    and the week I was there when they cut the pvc, they had just laid their one in house welder off, due to lack of work.
    I know some parts of the country are doing well and a long time buddy in Charleston said a while back that if he
    didn't follow the news that he wouldn't know that the economy is hurting so bad..
    Vidalia is in big trouble unless you're wallmart or lowe's. The tractor supply is empty, most times I go in there there's maybe 3 people at most.
    I've been getting into raising chickens, and my friends have been telling me how to gut a deer because, the food prices are starting to get scary.
    $40 buck don't even fill a cart anymore.
    The last onion harvest was a catastrophe, 30 PERCENT LOSS !
    ONIONS CARRY THIS TOWN AND THE LOSS HAS CRIPPLED THE LOCAL ECONOMY !!
    Being out of work makes the situation even worse for me.
    Especially since my wife looks at this project as a bunch of nonsense.
    I don't becuase it's forced me to start thinking and planning and practicing precision skills that
    were getting really rusty.
    Enough serious stuff , I got diverted on this post.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So I finally gave up on making the contol horns out of pvc.
    Roy has kids and they come into the shop and the dust is no good for them or any of us.
    I tried cutting some and it got me all itchy and it's not worth it to me to get it all
    over my clothes, becasue I have a 8 year old and she doesn't need to be getting pvc
    dust in her.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I want to dedicate this post to my sponsors. I'll keep adding to it.

Kraut, whererver you are thank you for the plans that I been following for the Ultraspadstik, I looked at your plan first and decided that's the one !
    Got to thank my Local 1263 millwright Hall for not giving me work so I got time to build the SPAD.
    Roy who's shop I'm doing a lot of the work in. Roy's out of work too, so
    if anyone knows of some police departments hiring around here let me know
    and I'll pass it on.
    Carl that swapped for the motor I got, Thanks Carl for the motor and whenever I need help
    I can call Carl and he's been there to answer tough questions, to me anyhow.
    Reagan at coroplast who's contribution of 2 mil was much appreciated at a critical time. Reagan is a doll,
    and I wish I could go up there to meet her and go skiing. Even though I never skiid I'd be willing to give it a try.
    RCUNIVERSE.
    All you guys on here that help me, believe me the encouragement helps in every way when I get discouraged.
    Horton automotive, that has offered the use of a tig welder and a good place to hang out and talk about engines.
    Craig has a dyno if anyone is interested, and he's the guy to go to if you're into racing engines !!
    Archie at Handy Andy and another guy there I think Steve, who suggested a new landing gear and designed the landing gear
    idea when I was at the store. they got screws and Archie is always there to sort through the drawers for me because sometimes I just don't feel
    like going through a bunch of drawers to find a screw.
    Advanced Fabrication of Vidalia thats providing me the tig stainless rod which I been using for various items.
    Lowe's that has a good supply of Goop and
    Devcon epoxy that is great stuff !
    Mac at ITS Hamilton that cut the pvc, even though they didn't want to bend my landing gear I guess they get a plug because it
    forced me to think through the bending process and make a jig.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Back to things now.
    In keeping with SPAD and making parts.
    I cut some fuselage wedges to align the servos with the elevators.
    there was a weird angle there and I didn't like where the servo was
    aligned.
    Wanted the servos pointing to a different spot on the elevator.

Name:	jg14158.jpg 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	1543499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ez83554.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	1543500   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	in26916.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	1543501  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Getting some easy stuff done.
    Going to be watching draftman3 videos to study some stuff.
    Like to get the gas tank in this weekend.
    Got a 16 oz tank, made a mistake I know, but for now I'll live with the tank, it'll be a temporary install.
    Landing gear got to get that on and bend the tail wheel to put the tail wheel on.
    Still nervous about wing fold !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use offset snips to cut the pvc control horns from the downspout, no dust.

How are you cutting?

ORIGINAL: JoelStolarski

So I finally gave up on making the contol horns out of pvc.
    Roy has kids and they come into the shop and the dust is no good for them or any of us.
    I tried cutting some and it got me all itchy and it's not worth it to me to get it all
    over my clothes, becasue I have a 8 year old and she doesn't need to be getting pvc
    dust in her.

Kris Frost
    AMA #855475

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

At first I cut and made control horns out of PVC but found that the holes would ware out quicker than I liked
    So
    I have use the standard nylon control horns on most of My Spads.
    For support;
    I use a sharpened bicycle spoke to poke a hole (cord wise) through the coro control surface all the way to the hinge then cram a bamboo skewer through path the spoke made making sure the control horn will be installed directly on top of it.
    Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The coro I drill with a small bit.
    the servo hole I used a tiny exacto blade which nobody here sells
    x-acto.
    Lowe's had the handle and blades like the older exactos, the triangular
    thin blade that I like, so I got one of those because I can't tighten the blade on my
    what must beat least a 30 year old xacto handle

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Harbor Freight has small metric and inch size drill bits. I got like a dozen 1/16 inch bits for $1.67 on sale. Google them up if you don't have one nearby. Good luck.

Sincerely, Richard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Harbor freight is ok for rc stuff. So far in trying to drill collets
    I have broken 3 Hitachi high speed bits. I would imagine they were
    most likely cheaply manufactured somewhere overseas.
    Would have been smarter at this point to buy collets.
    Got on to getting some progress on the tail gear.
    Another challenging process to clamp and bend the 1/8 rod that
    I got to match the 1/8 axle hole in the tail wheel.
    I went with the 1 1/2 inch diameter tail wheel from Dubro.

Name:	yw66815.jpg 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	1544571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	av67967.jpg 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	1544572   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sx61771.jpg 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	1544573   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vo37565.jpg 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	1544574  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got a question, forgot the other issue I needed help on.I have 1\8 solid carbon fiber rod for the elevator.I have 2-56 all thread and 2-56 clevis and enough to practice with if I goof.I want to put the all thread into the end of the carbon fiber rod and then I can put the clevis on the all thread and adjust rod length.Can I drill the end of the carbon fiber rod without the carbon fiber rod splitting?

Name:	nk28169.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	1544624  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Probably not. Also, as stiff as CF is, I do not think 1/8 dia is big enough, depending on the length of the unsupported rod. What length pushrods do you need for your elevator and rudder? I have had some health issues, but I hope to get to Wally World to see if they have CF arrows I can buy to send to you.

Sincerely, Richard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You're right on the drilling .Wrapped the end of the rod with thread and ca'd it, drill made about 1\32 nd of progressand carbon thread started to part.I did read a post where you need to put ametal collar on the end and it is possible to drill.Like I wrote before, nobody here has 1\8 ID tubing.I have tried to drill out and make collets,but the bits break.I got some Bosch bits today and I may try to drill one tomorow.The length from the servo horn to the elevator control horn is 22 ".I held the rod at 22" and pushed hard and get about 1/8" to 1/4 " deflection laterally.I have little experience with carbon fiber. It is unusual to look at and it makes a strange sound when you drop it, almost sounds like a metal rod dropping but not quite.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

While I contemplate using the screen roller to do the wing fold or decide to rout a groove into the 2 mil I did servos.I got onto adjusting the tail gear and grinding the tab the goes horizontally into the rudder so that the rudder doesn't split further.The rudder was one of the early steps before I got the hang of the flashing so I have glue separation issues when I shoved the tab into the middle of the rudder.Fixable, since I will straddle the rod tab with the control horn and also drip some ca into the part that split. If that doesn't work I'll put a small screw there as a precaution.The servo wedges worked out real good and i'm happy with that.I tried a y connector on the 2 servos not thinking that each side servo will move in an opposite direction.so, read the futaba 7 cap book, and found where I can use channel 2 as a elevator master and slave another channel to it.Got that programmed after some time and found that the trim doesn't work.So I need to find a different mix in the radio I guess, because I do want to be able to trim it for flight.

Name:	bz76892.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	1545051   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ql34644.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	1545052   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ze85624.jpg 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	1545053   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uo36311.jpg 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	1545054  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will check for CF arrows today. 1/4 inch deflection could cause problems if you are pushing the rod to pull the stick back and climb after a dive. The palne mauy not recover due to the bending rod.

Use an inline servo reverser on the one elevator of the elevator needing to turn the other way. Then the trim controls both elevator servos.

Later.

Richard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi spaceworm
    After a few problems, I now ALWAYS connect control rods to the elevator so that UP elevator pulls on the elevator rather than pushes on it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, I found that out early in my flying also, starting with control line in the fifties

Later, Richard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi, looking at your pics i see that you have flying wires on the horizontal stab to vert stab. This helps support the vert stab, but you could add flying wires on the bottom of the horizontal stab to help stabilize it and keep it from bending. Since your horizontal stab is on the bottom of the fuse, you will need to add something extending down from it to provide triangulation. A dowel post could be used, or a ventral fin could be added. Take a look at the Fokker Eindecker for ideas for bracing. Good luck.

Sincerely, Richard.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for reminding me on the wires for the bottom of the horizontal stab.My bro in law told me to do those a while back and it slipped my mind.The way I have the servos they will be pulling up on the elevator.Pushing down for dive so I'm ok there.I can always put them back on the hor stab if there is a issue, then I'll have to patch the fuselage servo holes.I jumped the gun on the elevator servos, just got into a mood to stop farting around and get built.Now I guess I'm stalling on the wing.cut some dowel today 1/8 hole on one end and 3\32 on other to accept 2-56 all-thread.Test fit is good and I made a bunch of them in a row like an assembly line.Roy's shop was so cold today, we have ice all over and I fell on the back deck almost right on top of the landing gearthat is still fastened into the jig.I've been so pissed at the landing gear that I've been punishing it and leaving it out there.

Name:	jh15613.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	1545382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dy80191.jpg 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	1545383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bg92061.jpg 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	1545384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ey69964.jpg 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	1545385  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On hindsight I wish I hadn't cut the elevator to make two halves.Didn't know the 7 CAP didn't have features like my old JR 8103.But, I had to buy a used radio and the price was ok.So I read where you can use the flap channels for the dual elevator servos and have to be careful to not move the switch that is tied to the channels.I have been reading the manual and can't figure out which channels are the flaps.So if somebody knows then i can use a hint on how to do that.I have some Futaba 9202's that have plenty of power at 6 volts, since I have a 6 voltfor the receiver and servos.I could have used one 9202 for the elevator, it has good power at 6 volts and would have been fine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flap channels are usually 6 when 5 is used for retracts. But they are only 2 0r 3 three postions or controlled with a rotary knob. Also no trim with them. I think your best bet is a servo reverser for one of the elevator servos, or reconect the two halves with a wire or dowel joiner.

I checked with my local WW today, and they do not have any arrows of any kind. That honks me off with their jumping the seasons so early like they do. They are selling spring fishing gear! When I get a chance I will check Gander Mountain.

Later, Richard

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast