S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Flying Fencepost

Old 10-22-2011, 04:18 AM
Mr67Stang

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Flying Fencepost

I have started throwing together a SPAD that I have dubbed THE Flying Fencepost since the fuse is a 4x4 six foot long piece of vinal/PVC fencepost from Lowes. The power will be an OS 1.60fx. I hope to be able to use this SPAD for piggy backing my EDF BAE Hawk that can not get off of my grass runway.

The wing span is about 95.5 inches with a 16 inch chord. I am still thinking about the tail feathers but it will likely have about a 24 - 30 inch horizontal stab with a 16 - 20 in pair of virtical stabs. I have not trimmed any length off the fencepost yet as I will get a rough ballance first and trim to ease ballance. Unfortunately it will require a long nose so I can mount the BAE Hawk with it's C/G over the Flying Fencepost's C/G.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46667.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1677412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78535.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1677413  
Old 10-22-2011, 05:34 AM
Villa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Flying Fencepost

Hi Mr67Stang
I just noticed you live just west of Fayettville, NC. I live in Wilson, NC, just up the road from you. I was at the Airborne museum in Fayettville about 4 months ago. Drop by our field when you are up this way. Our website, http.www.wilsonrc.org, has driving directions. Back to SPAD. I see a crease on the top of your wing. Did you make that crease intentionally? I recall that some of the spadtothebone.com plans call for that crease. Most of us have learned that the top crease is not needed, and probably negatively affects the airflow over the wing. Which way do the flutes run on your wing? Please keep us posted on your build.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:52 AM
Mr67Stang

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You did catch me on the wing. I ran the flutes spanwise because it would be easier and experimental. The crease is formed by the .25 x 1.5 wood spar. The wing is flat in the middle 24 inches then diheadraled (is that a word?) for the outer 36 inches. The diheadral was very scientifically determined... uh, I laid an empty beer can on its side under the wing tip and said, "that looks about right". I am in no way trying to make an aerobatic plane. It just need to create enough lift to carry an additional 2+ lbs and be easy enough to fly so that I can put someone else on the controls.

I would love to drop by and fly with you sometime. I will be sure to drop you a PM if I end up out that way. Well it is time to go load up the truck and head out to the feild. I am performing a maiden flight on my Sig P-51b Mustang w/ DLE-20 gas engine.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Mr67Stang

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Got a little more done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lj21924.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1678023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68059.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1678024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91888.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1678025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga78335.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1678026  
Old 10-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Mr67Stang

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

More pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ig12346.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1678028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56072.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1678029  
Old 10-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Mr67Stang

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A few more pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pn36502.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1678035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24142.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1678036  
Old 10-23-2011, 06:39 PM
earlwb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is a interesting plane you are getting ready to fly. Do keep us informed of your progress.
It is looking pretty good so far.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:19 AM
Clean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pretty wide tail for a single piece of 4 mil, did you use layers, a spar, struts?  something to keep it from being a bit floppy?  I know my PBF at 2 foot gets quite a bow on it and it doesn't have a hole fuse pushing on it.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:06 AM
Mr67Stang

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Clean

Pretty wide tail for a single piece of 4 mil, did you use layers, a spar, struts? something to keep it from being a bit floppy? I know my PBF at 2 foot gets quite a bow on it and it doesn't have a hole fuse pushing on it.
I ended up taking 5.25 inches off the horizontal stab after those pictures were taken. I will still need to add some sort of spar for rigidity though.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:43 AM
Nitro2Burn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just a little food for thought, have you considered putting the vertical stab under the aircraft not above? You could run a longer front to back length to get a shorter hieght. The reason I say this is your EDF will not have the lift of your average piggy backed glider and so once released stands a good chance of possibly wiping out on your vertical stab on release.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:01 AM
draftman1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Nitro2Burn

Just a little food for thought, have you considered putting the vertical stab under the aircraft not above? You could run a longer front to back length to get a shorter hieght. The reason I say this is your EDF will not have the lift of your average piggy backed glider and so once released stands a good chance of possibly wiping out on your vertical stab on release.

or make it a vee tail or twin rudder
Old 11-03-2011, 06:59 AM
Villa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Mr67Stang
Anything new on this one?
Old 11-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Clean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wouldn't worry about the EDF clearing the tail.  Slight dive on the fencepost while full power and release on the EDF with nominal climb you should be fine.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:29 AM
Mr67Stang

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Villa

Hi Mr67Stang
Anything new on this one?
Hey Villa, Work has been getting in the way of play lately. The SPAD is pretty much ready for servo installation now. I purchaced .440 control rod for all control surfaces; now I just need to figure placement. I want to keep the control rods short to reduce flutter of course but that is all I have determined right now. I will get the Flying Fencepost flying before I worry about designing a release mechanism for the EDF. Get a few test flights in and get the most stable ballance point determined. Right now the plane is tail heavy with it's long tail moment so I may be using the swiss cheese meathod to remove weight from the tail. The other option may be a 26cc gas engine but that would be a long shot since I really want to keep the cost down on this plane. I hope to get some work done on it this weekend.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:22 AM
Clean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What are the ratios of your wing area to your tail area?  Tail looks kinda big compared to the wing.  maybe you could cut that down a bit and then slide the wing back a tad to take care of that tail heavieness.  Also, a little bird told me about his lifting tail design where he airfoiled the horizontal to keep it from flexing and then used the lifting tail to move the cg of the plane farther back, 35 percent I think. 
Old 11-07-2011, 03:25 AM
Mr67Stang

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did cut the horizontal stab down some and have concidered moving the wing back some. I am getting servo placement figured out first just to have the bulk of the weight in the plane before I move the wing. I still do not have a battery in the plane or a muffler on the engine, I will also probably install some kind of spinner, so all that adds to more weight up front.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:46 AM
spaceworm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Clean

... Also, a little bird told me about his lifting tail design where he airfoiled the horizontal to keep it from flexing and then used the lifting tail to move the cg of the plane farther back, 35 percent I think.
The Telemaster series used a lifting stab to great advantage. The lifting stab reduces the pitch up characterstic of flat bottom wings when power is applied. The plane just "elevators" up with the fuse level. Of course elevator control is still there if you want pitch control also.

Search this Thread