Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

CC Edge 540

Old 12-18-2011, 12:43 AM
fieldy73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CC Edge 540

Thanks to Chrisspad for posting the awesome CC Edge plans a few years ago. I have built mine (second one about 6 months ago) to his plans with a few exceptions.

In Australia, we can only get 3 and 5 mm coro. I have used 3 mm instead of 2 mm coro and 5mm instead of 4mm. Mine weighs 2.5kg and I did the following to save weight. I used one piece of 5mm coro on its edge for the wing spar. I deleted the fuse's wooden brace below the "cockpit". I am using a 5 cell AAA 1000mA pack instead of 5 x AA batteries - this saved 90 grams. (On average I get 3 x 15 minute flights with plenty of battery left).

I strengthened all the control surfaces with hollow carbon fibre tube inserted length ways. I added 2 vertical braces inside the fuse for the elevator and rudder surfaces to screw into. I used small pieces of plastic inside the wing for the aileron servos to screw into. I glued 6x6 wooden braces where the wing meets the fuse after cracks began to appear (after several flights).

To increase knife edge performance I fitted wing tip stabilisers (additional 60 grams). It will now just pull knife edge loops with an OS 55AX. Recently, I have fitted an APC 12.25 x 3.75 prop which has made it hover well. I am using 3003 servos in the wing and 3010 for the rear surfaces.

Has anyone else got any tips for weight saving or strengthening this SPAD?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34622.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	1701547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39615.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	1701548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59232.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1701549  
Old 12-18-2011, 06:30 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: CC Edge 540

I'm not sure about weight saving but there is a 10 mm coroplast available that weighs about 200g per sq. ft.  It would only need hardwood engine mounts instead of doublers and bracing spars.  The 4mm is about 70g / sq. ft.  times 2 + doublers etc.  A cheek cowl was always a must for the goodyear racer profile planes.  It made a much better motor run and a stronger joint on the profiles.  I like that design.  Looks good, gives me ideas.