Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

SPAD Debonair questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:29 AM
chuck1967

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPAD Debonair questions

OK...after following the Debonair plans almost to a "T", I read on here where you should not score the top of the wing where it meets the spars, and of course, I've already built not 1 but THREE wings to have have extras in case of bad crashes (three whole planes actually). Will these be ok or should Ijust trash them and start over?? (I didn't have any forums to ask questions and no one around here building these so I just went on my own.) I just know Iwon't do it again !

Also, will the ASP .61 engine be too big for this plane? I've been out of rc for over 25 years and don't remember a thing lol. I'm also on a fixed income (hurt in the line of duty - brain injury) and am waiting patiently for the new Turnigy radio, unless I get impatient and order the iMax or Eurgle, is this a good radio setup??

Thanks for any help!!
Chuck
Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: SPAD Debonair questions

You'll be ok with the wing crease Chuck.  It's not the ideal airflow but it'll fly.  My first wing was like that and it flies like a dream.  Your ASP .61 will be fine also.  Lot of engine for that plane, but as long as you balance on the correct CG, you'll be ok.  The first engine I had on my Deb was a K&B .65...... talk about HEAVY!  LOL  It flew fine but the K&B kept dead-sticking on me which eventually lead to a crash totaling my fuse.  The wing survived and is still in use today.  I've also flown my Deb with an anemic OS40LA.....  I had to tape a bunch of lead tire weights on the front to get it to balance.  It sure wasn't going to do any aerobatics, but it flew after a LONG take-off run.  Not sure about the radios..... I hear good things about the Turnigy, but you might have to do some tinkering as in updating firmware, etc.  Don't know anything about the others.  I use Spektrum radios, but I started out with the HobbyKing 2.4 cheapies and got good service out of them, so I certainly don't have anything against the cheaper radios.  Hey, I see you're in GA!  You're about 2 hours from me.  Have you been on Spadworld.net?  Here, there & RCG, you can get great advice on all three sites.  SW is the best for SPAD info if you don't mind a little orneriness.    Have you ever been to the R/C trade show down in Perry?  Wow, talk about R/C heaven!  

Oh yeah, with the ASP .61, make sure you stick some bamboo or dowels in the flutes of your control surfaces to stiffen them up and keep it throttled back.  If you go wide open make sure you keep a close ear out for "flutter"....  That's when the control surfaces (or any surface for that matter) vibrate back and forth due to high air flow over them causing a low, somewhat of a moaning or buzzing sound.  That can rip a plane apart in a hurry and is what to be careful of when flying a larger motor.  Good luck with it and keep us up to date!  We're big fans of photos & videos too. 

Pat
Old 08-22-2012, 08:50 AM
PatrickCurry

Oh and BTW, on your next build, just build one until you see if you like it...... "bad crashes" are a "relative term" when flying SPADs....  they take being dumped a WHOLE lot better than balsa planes.  
Old 08-22-2012, 09:12 AM
chuck1967

Thanks for the help Patrick! I've been out of flying for about 25 years...so it's been awhile! I had a heck of a time finding the 2.5 x 2.5 gutter pipe but finally found some in Barnesville. It wasn't far from me and we were heading up there for a livestock sale so it worked out! With on section of the gutter pipe and 2 sheets of 4mm coro, I was able to build 3 planes total because I thought that I would inevitably crash at least a couple of them out lol! I used orange and yellow and put lime green duck tape for markings on the wing and tail sections...I should be able to see them for quite aways LOL! I'm waiting on the wheels, axles and fuel tank to come in from Hobby King now...once I get them finished and can mount the wings in the correct place for CG, I will post pics!

Thanks again!
Chuck
Old 08-22-2012, 09:16 AM
chuck1967

Oh, and I remember my old balsa planes...initially it was the 4-4-4 rule, 4 months of build time - 4 seconds in the air (4 minutes if I was REALLY lucky) - 4 more months of rebuild time LMAO!!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 PM
PatrickCurry

If it's easy for you to get 4mm coro and not the gutterpipe, you can just make fuses out of coro.  You can probably find the instructions here, but there's a "how to" over on spadworld.net about building coro fuses.  You want a quick and easy build, try an FNS.  To me, those are loads of fun.  No ailerons and no landing gear so they're a super quick build.  Even with no ailerons they're extremely agile and will bite their own tail.  Looking forward to your pics.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:06 AM
chuck1967

Funny thing, us not being too far apart, lol! I'm actually between Butler and Thomaston so we're only about an hour and a half apart LOL! I haven't been on Spadworld yet, probably try later today. I tried another forum, but it wouldn't let me on because my email is through yahoo and it requires an ISP...out here in the boonies our only option is Verizon so it's either gmail or yahoo...what's RCG?? Maybe I'll get on there too! Being retired (unfortunately) gives me a lot of time on my hands, when I'm done with the 'honey do' list that is!

When is the R/C show in Perry? I surely won't miss that now!!

The one thing that I did different from the Deb plans was that I put 2, 4"x4" piece of coro underneath the wing, about 4" from the center, to mount the servos in so that the ailerons will each have their own servo. That moved the control horns out a bit to help with the flutter possibility. I also trimmed the ailerons to an angle, about the last 5" on each end. Hopefully, both of these changes will help with that, if not, then I'll put in the dowels I guess. I'm going to use the ASP .61 because I figured it would be a good mid-size engine that Icould use on either these or larger planes should I decide to build one later. I REALLY love the P-51 and hope to build one out of coro later on...once I get where I can fly again, lol.

I'll have to try the coro body...I can get 4'x8' sheets of it for $11 so it would be a cheap build!! And I'll have to try the FNS, sounds like a lot of fun!!

C
Old 08-23-2012, 07:43 PM
PatrickCurry

RCG is RCGroups.com.  Lots of good info on there too.  The Perry show is in March:  http://www.gamarc.com/georgia.html  It is a HUGE swap meet with lots of vendors and lots of guys trying to sell or swap their stuff.  It takes up three buildings at the fair grounds down there.  That's a good combo for fighting flutter in the ailerons.  That should pretty much take care of it.  Good price on the coro too.  I was paying $12 a sheet for 4mm up in Newnan, but I haven't bought any in over a year probably.  I haven't been building much lately, but hope to get back at it soon.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:10 PM
the.master.link

Chuck,, I see you are a lot like me and I too am trying to relearn to get back into the flying, building and meetingnew people who like/love to do the same. Look for an email from me to you. Richard
Old 04-26-2013, 02:35 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Your gonna love the Debonair! They fly great. I flew one into a large oak tree and only had to redo the gluing of the wing spar. With CA that was a 2 second fix!