Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Here I go again

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 03:09 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Here I go again

Back in late January I crashed my first Debonair. I thought it could have been pilot error as I went solo with no instructor but I had past RC flight time. The wreckage revealed that the screw holding the throttle arm had come loose. So it could have been a maintenance issue. Just to be sure, a while back, I flew with an instructor. I found I had not forgotten much. I never had to turn the plane over to the instructor.

After the crash I quickly built another Debonair. But with Texas rainy weather this season and other things that got in the way, I never did the maiden flight. Today I spent part of the day getting the plane ready. I rechecked CG, setup engine and idle and did a good preflight. So tomorrow if all goes well I will maiden fly this plane. It will be my second solo flight since getting back into the hobby. Let's see if all goes well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	2109868  
Old 07-19-2015, 05:28 PM
ETpilot

Well I'm happy to report that the maiden flight went very well with a minor incident. This airplane took off in like 20-25 feet. It took me by surprise as I expected a longer TO roll. I just lowered the nose for a shallow climb. This is one sweet flying airplane. I am going to enjoy it. The longer nose gives it a nice look in the air.

After flying it for a few minutes getting acquainted I made some landing passes. I finally attempted that first landing which did not go well. Fearing slowing down too much I came in a bit fast. I crossed the runway threshold about 4-5' with too much speed. Landing was going to happen on the far end of the runway and probably go into the rough overrun. I added power for a go around but too late. The plane hit the runway bounced then flipped into the rough grass.

The prop broke so thought I'd go for one more flight. Servicing the plane is when I noticed that the main gear was bent. End of flying for the day. I need to make a new LG. Overall though it was a good day. I guess I am back in the hobby.

My setup and bent gear.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Views:	110
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	2110022   Click image for larger version

Views:	96
Size:	4.18 MB
ID:	2110023   Click image for larger version

Views:	100
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	2110025   Click image for larger version

Views:	106
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	2110026  
Old 07-20-2015, 10:16 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well welcome back ET and congratulations on the success of your new ship. Have done a few spads in the past and think I still have one hanging on the wall somewhere I love your transport/starting stand trailer for getting around the farm.

John
Old 07-21-2015, 04:27 AM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
Well welcome back ET and congratulations on the success of your new ship. Have done a few spads in the past and think I still have one hanging on the wall somewhere I love your transport/starting stand trailer for getting around the farm.

John
Thanks John. I sure am happy with that first flight, except the landing. I have to work on landings. My intent is to maiden and tweek the planes on the farm before going to the club. My club is about an hour one way. The Debonair is a good starter plane for me. Fast to build n inexpensive. I have a scratch built Ugly Stick and a Kadet LT-40 to follow when I have more flight time n more flying experience.

BTW, yesterday I checked that landing gear out. Figured I could fix what I had. So I straighten LG, rechecked the leg angle and already have it installed on the plane. It is ready for its next flight.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:50 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

On my Deb, I used the Dubro Super Strength Landing Gear For .35-.60 size airplanes http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNM65&P=ML A little pricey and you have to add axle shafts, but they really take a beating and return to original shape automatically. When I mounted mine, I epoxied a piece of ply inside the gutter pipe fuse, then bolted the gear through the fuse and ply. It never came off for the life of the plane. Also, one crash I had showed the fuse is weak between the wing mounting dowels where you cut the access hole. I epoxied yardstick pieces between those to strengthen that location. Just some thoughts. I muse thinking what one guy used to call my plane, "the gutter plane". He didn't know how much fun I had with it.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:25 PM
ETpilot

Tom I built this Deb on the cheap. Something to get me flying n if I crash not a lot lost in time n money. As in my first Deb crash if you recall that one. That landing gear you link looks good but mine is a bit taller for prop clearance. I used cutting board material to reinforce the gear mount. I like your idea on reinforcing the wing mount. I may see if I can add some. I'm not sure what kind of a reception I will get when I take this to the flying club.

I have to to say I am impressed with the flying quality of this plane. I will enjoy it. Tomorrow I am going to practice landing approaches and see if I can get some "good" landings in.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:57 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with nylon screws to hold the LG in if you're not. They'll snap off in a crash and not damage your LG or snap your fuse. Love the Debonair!
Old 07-27-2015, 05:17 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Leave the power off next time, it will do less damage. You'll get the timing down eventually, most of us did.
Now rinse and repeat, have fun.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:38 PM
ETpilot

Arrow

Patrick good info. I actually did a search on LG install and found out about the nylon bolts. So I used some wing bolts I had. And you are right. On my last landing, and only one for the day, I pancaked into rough grass and the gear snapped back. Broken bolts n no damage. LOL

Clean on this last landing I did cut the power. I just need a few more circuits to get the timing right.

But with this last landing I recognized two mistakes I was making. First, returning to the flying scene I find myself apprehensive bring the plane closer to me for the landing. So on this landing I totally missed the runway. Landed next to it. Second mistake is I am standing right at the beginning of the runway. So when I bring the plane in I don't see the runway threshold and so don't have a reference for alignment. Next time I will stand more midfield and so should have a better picture for the landing. Bring the plane closer will come with more flight time and a more relaxed comfort level.

Today I travelled to the big city and I stopped by the LHS to buy nylons bolts but I could not find the bolts I like. I did run into one of the club members. He too is returning to RC. I found out that Wednesday's is the day beginners and returnees get together at the flying field. So I will take the Deb to the club and see if I can hit that runway. Runway is maybe a bit wider but much longer. Gotta hit that runway for sure.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:55 PM
Tom Nied

Yeah, it's really not that difficult. Do practice landings without really touching down. Like you would be doing a touch and go. When you feel good about your alignment with the runway, just come in like you've been practicing and cut the power. The Deb actually lands pretty good once you figure it out.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:13 PM
PatrickCurry

https://www.microfasteners.com/nbcd1...ips-nylon.html

I snap a LOT of screws. Some days I get frustrated and stick some steel ones in there. I'm not THAT bad, but everyone has their days. LOL

That's good advice from Tom.... practicing landings low and slow without actually touching down. You just need to be careful not to let your airspeed get too low in case your plane tip-stalls. Take it up high and slow it down to a crawl and see what it does. Practice like you were landing, but up high and see if the plane has a tendency to fall off to one side or the other. That way you won't get a nasty surprise when you start practicing down low.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:16 PM
PatrickCurry

Actually I think this is the one I've been buying: https://www.microfasteners.com/nbsh1...ews-nylon.html You won't need a 2" screw for a LG.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:35 PM
Tom Nied

Yeah those are ok, I'd just go to a good hardware store and find what they have in nylon bolts. But actually I think steel would be just fine too as you are going to make better landings anyway. You can cut nylon screws pretty easily with a microsaw. I don't remember tip stalling with mine, it's pretty docile when the speed is reduced.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:23 AM
ETpilot

Thanks for the info guys. I will try the low approach technique. I didn't have this problem with my one instructor flight at the club field . I believe moving to midfield on my runway will help by giving me a better landing picture. My next flight will be at the flying club next week so I will be able to compare.

This last flight I did slow the plane up high to get a feel for it. No unusual tendencies. On this approach the speed was a lot slower than my previous attempt. I just missed the runway by a few feet. A bit more practice needed.

Patrick thanks that for that link. I am going to order some nylon screws.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:45 AM
ETpilot

Well finally SUCCESS. I took the plane to the club field and made 3 successful flights. My first landing was super good considering this is my first tail dragger. Now I have to try to duplicate this at my home field. I have to finish my Ugly Stik and Kadet LT-40 and get them flying.

This Debonair is a good flying airplane. I am impressed. A buddy at the field flew it and he, too, liked it.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:38 AM
Tom Nied

Great to hear. The Deb is a good plane.