S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Engine Failure on Takeoff

Old 10-08-2015, 03:26 AM
ETpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Engine Failure on Takeoff

I had not flown this plane since I did the wing bolt modification. Partly due to some strong winds and out of the North. I have not practiced many North takeoffs and landings as the prevailing winds are usually from the South. So two days ago it was a perfect day for flying. The mod required that I disconnect the throttle from the servo. So I had to make sure the engine was setup correctly.

I checked engine idle and full throttle several times and just before takeoff. All good to go. I takeoff and start a turn to downwind. Engine is at full power and just quits in the turn. I tried to save it but airspeed was too slow. It stalled and went down. Broken motor mount and wrinkled vertical fin n rudder. I took it to the workshop and I immediately cleaned the engine. Yesterday I cut and installed a new vertical fin n rudder. Today, if I have time, I will cut the motor mount. It will be ready for Sunday flying.

These SPAD's can really handle a crash. Some repairs are quick. My balsa model would have required major repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	2124379   Click image for larger version

Views:	97
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	2124380   Click image for larger version

Views:	103
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	2124381   Click image for larger version

Views:	77
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	2124382  
Old 10-08-2015, 06:03 AM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why did the engine quit?
Old 10-08-2015, 02:38 PM
ETpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nied View Post
Why did the engine quit?
Tom, I have given a lot of thought as to why the engine quit. Nothing came to mind but I do not have much recent glow engine experience. So hard to troubleshoot.

Today I may have found the answer. I removed the firewall and the fuel tank. I found that the pickup klunk had twisted to the front of the fuel tank. This could be the reason. Airplane was in a climbing left turn. The vent air bubble was in the small front area of the tank. Fuel Starvation. Makes sense. Then again the twisted klunk could have been the result of the crash. Not sure. I have made some hard landings so it is possible the twisted klunk could have happened then.

When i I saw the twisted klunk I thought I has not added the brass fuel tube. I had, I just didn't do a good job. I have it fixed now. The klunk should not twist forward now.

New engine mount is done. I have to get a new throttle cable for final engine installation and set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Views:	52
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2124436   Click image for larger version

Views:	56
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2124437  
Old 10-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I suspected something like that. I recently had two dead-stick landings and found my clunk just slightly hanging up on the back of the tank where it was raised. That clunk has to be loose and be able to swing all over the back unobstructed. Any hindrance or hanging up is bad. Probably what caused my recent dead-stick (engine quit) mandatory landings. This was an intermittent problem that I ignored for a long time and today I said to myself, "ok, the tank has to come out and I have to inspect it". I couldn't believe it, in just the right spot the clunk would get stuck against the back of the tank. Clunk tanks are just that. They are suppose to clunk the whole range of the back of the tank without hanging up anywhere. Certainly folded forward is the worst. Good luck and better engine runs to you.

Search this Thread