Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

SPAD Hell On Rails Yardstick Spar?

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

SPAD Hell On Rails Yardstick Spar?

Old 11-30-2017, 09:49 AM
John Rcflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SPAD Hell On Rails Yardstick Spar?

Hi guys. I may have posted this in the wrong forum earlier.
I am building this plane and was wondering if the yarsdsticks I got from Lowes are to tall at 1-3/8 inches.
I can't seem to find any details except to use a cheap yardstick from Lowes/Home depot etc. Please advise if this is not to tall for the spar or any other hints you combatters may have.

Thanks
John Rcflyer
Old 11-30-2017, 01:31 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just scaled one up from the directions here. http://www.spadtothebone.org/PDF/Buhor.pdf it looks like just over one inch, not 1 3/8". I just used some spacers that were separating 2x4"s at the lumberyard. They were free, I had to sort through for straight and unbroken ones, and ones that were tapered etc. I actually made the wing thicker for an Extra wing. It was 2mm coro though, and it bends nicer. Some of the .15 size wings are run through a table saw to make them thinner, like 7/8ths"
Old 11-30-2017, 02:48 PM
John Rcflyer

Thanks Aspeed.
The yardsticks in the pictures look exactly like the ones I have. So it must be ok. It just looked like they were to tall.
I wasn't sure if a fatter wing would slow me down too much since this is my first SPAD build.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:32 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I've bought some of the those yardsticks from Lowes and they are too tall compared to the good old days "cheap" yardstick. Yeah you can strip it down, they also seem a bit thick. I Googled "cheap yardstick and found these 36" Yardsticks Back in the day, now I'm showing my age 64, stores would hand them out free with their name and logo on them. Now we have to buy them. Like aspeed recommended, if you have access to a table saw you can strip a few out easily to any dimension you need. There is a "SPAD Psyche" you should try to adhere to. It should be easy, cost next to nothing, not bought from a hobby shop, feel free to experiment, and should always be fun. Adhere to as much of that and you will have a fine SPAD.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:58 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, be a cheap bugger and experiment. Thin it down as much as you dare, just fly safely. If it breaks, well, that was fun, wasn't it? It is almost like a reset button when a SPAD crashes. Well, my receivers seem to break, but the plane is expendable.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:46 PM
John Rcflyer

Default Thanks

Thanks Tom and Aspeed. I've been flying for many years but never really bashed any kits. I figure experimenting with spads is not to costly venture. I too remember the old days of free yardsticks. And I'm only 57....
Old 03-28-2018, 11:36 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been seeing those heavier, thicker and taller yardsticks showing up at all the stores I shop at, too. when I built my trainer, I had to shop around for the older style lighter weight yard sticks. if you have a table saw, any wood will do. or buy the big ones and cut them down.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:33 PM
John Rcflyer

Originally Posted by r ward
I've been seeing those heavier, thicker and taller yardsticks showing up at all the stores I shop at, too. when I built my trainer, I had to shop around for the older style lighter weight yard sticks. if you have a table saw, any wood will do. or buy the big ones and cut them down.
Hi r ward.
As a matter of fact that's just what I did. I cut them down with a table saw.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:35 AM
r ward

it's getting hard to find the old style of yard stick anywhere. these newer ones are bigger and made with heavier wood (usually, yellow pine). might be better off planning to make all your spar sticks from scratch,..... Luan (Phillipean Mohogany) will make good light weight spars. most of the big box stores sell it as "Mahogany". sometimes it can be found as various shapes of low-grade window trim (Ranch style casing) that can be cut to whatever shape and size you need.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:17 PM
John Rcflyer

Originally Posted by r ward
it's getting hard to find the old style of yard stick anywhere. these newer ones are bigger and made with heavier wood (usually, yellow pine). might be better off planning to make all your spar sticks from scratch,..... Luan (Phillipean Mohogany) will make good light weight spars. most of the big box stores sell it as "Mahogany". sometimes it can be found as various shapes of low-grade window trim (Ranch style casing) that can be cut to whatever shape and size you need.
Thanks again. I'm always on the lookout for spar material.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:09 PM
pcjohnson_ohio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Home Depot still has cheap yardsticks, last I checked
Here
Old 06-09-2018, 03:30 AM
John Rcflyer

Originally Posted by pcjohnson_ohio
Home Depot still has cheap yardsticks, last I checked
Here
That's what I have been using.
Thanks
Old 08-07-2018, 07:13 AM
r ward

Originally Posted by John Rcflyer
Thanks again. I'm always on the lookout for spar material.
that luan trim makes a good source of spars for balsa building as well.