Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Cor-Star 60 Version 2.0 plans and pics

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Cor-Star 60 Version 2.0 plans and pics

Old 04-06-2004, 03:00 PM
upnflyin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cor-Star 60 Version 2.0 plans and pics

Fliptunes go to this site and look at the woodpecker tool. Kinds of explains itself. Well worth having like deadeye shows to use it.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHZ26&P=0
Al
Old 04-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Fliptunes

OK well that makes sense. I wasn't sure you need to swiss cheese it. I will have to get one of those then. Now I just need a fresh batch of coro to start.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:51 PM
mikenlapaz

Deadeye
Finally got back to read balance of thread. CONGRADULATIONS!!
A couple of questions and comments.
1) on the Vert (posts 16,23,54) It appears that the LE fold leaves the flutes open. Any thoughts on shaving back a bit more of the flute material until it would fold nicely with the flutes hidden inside? I think we have the finest dirt/dust available. (Maybe dribble some poly foam down the hidden opening)

2) that flute trimmer idea is slick.

3) Thanks for sharing the routine on misting. I have been lightly misting once and not waiting before joining the pieces. I like the pre-expansion foaming before joining. The glue into water and then dribbling resulting foam routine is one I'm going to try for sure.

4) What routine do you use for getting your drawings to JPEG. I have Paint and it only shows bitmap save formats? Pain to take pics of them on screen and then save and post the pics...[>:]

Now to set-up a file and store this away. Oh yeah need to return to the Bipe thread...So many ideas..running out of time..
Old 05-31-2004, 03:53 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mikenlapez, first of all thanks! Build the bipe, if you get a chance. It's all I want to fly now. Anywho on to the answers:

1) You fold the vertical into the flutes, the shaved part is inside the vertical stab. The picture in post #16, those two halves will be mated, not the other way around.

2) Yep, it is slick, I use mine all the time.

3) The beauty of poly glue is you have time to do whatever you need. It doesn't really HAVE to be joined until just before it develops a tacky skin.

4) I draw them in Paint, and save them as jpeg. You have that option in the 'save as' dialog.

Good luck, and happy flying!
Old 05-31-2004, 04:54 PM
mikenlapaz

using paint in a Win98se and trying to save either full screen or a selected portion it does not offer jpeg as a format option. Maybe someone can share the trick or just advise it is not possible with this edition...[]
Old 05-31-2004, 05:11 PM
Deadeye

I see. Do you have any type of photo editor? You can open the bitmap in a photo editor, and then save it as a jpeg. You can even adjust the compression (file size) with most of them.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:17 PM
upnflyin

Hey Mike download this free viewer at www.irfanview.com It will allow you to open bitmaps and others and save them as jpg files. Very handy program and great for resizing pics.
Al
Old 06-01-2004, 12:55 AM
mikenlapaz

upnflyin 2minute download and does as advertised and more. www.irfanview.com
Thanks
Old 08-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Zombie

This is a shameless bump of Deadeye's Cor-Star build.

I recently had the opportunity to see this plane and watch Randy rip a bit o' sky. Sweet! Very Sweet!

If you've got some experience playing with coro, and are looking for your next build, seriously consider this plane. It's marvelous - in looks and performance.

Thanks for your efforts at the Funfly, Randy. I had a very nice day - thanks to you and your club.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Deadeye

Why thank you, Art! We sure were glad to see you guys make it. Next time there is an event, I'll be there with coroplast bells on.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:58 PM
Mitty

Deadeye,
I think most of SPADders will suport me when i say THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking time and sharing techniques of creating your spad plane!What a wonderful ,detailed description!THANKS,MAN.

Mitty
Old 08-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Deadeye

You guys are going to give me an ego. [8D] I just 'paid it forward', as I learned all these techniques right here on RCU, and spadtothebone.com. I've only been flying 2 years, and built the original Cor-Star over a year ago. If I could do it, I figured anyone could. I'm proud that this plane flies so well, and that it will be so much fun for whoever wants to give it a go. Thanks, fellas.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Eagle Flyer
My Feedback: (84)

Anybody have anything new to report on a Corstar? I am building one and looking for new input. Working on a manual also. Any suggetions are appreciated.
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED INPUT !!!!
What was that robot's name?
Thanks in advance
Old 10-08-2004, 12:25 AM
LEM

Just wanted to keep this thing alive - so I can build one this winter -
Great job

Thanks

LEM
Old 10-08-2004, 12:27 AM
LEM

Just want to keep this alive, so I can build one coming winter.
Computer died, so sorry if this double posts

LEM
Old 03-16-2006, 05:31 PM
FantzyPantz

Just bumped up so I can find it later. Good reading (building) material here.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Deadeye

It's been the better part of two years since I posted in this thread. I figured it's time for a little update. The purple Cor-Star featured in this thread is still alive and kicking! I've got over 500 flights on this plane. It is easily the most flown plane in my fleet. I had it on floats last winter, and had a blast jumping snow drifts with it. On one landing, I caught a wingtip pretty hard, but I saw no damage. I flew it twice more, only to get home and find out the balsa skeleton had split in half! A busted fuselage and it still flew? Twice? Yep. I've cartwheeled this plane on the ground, and landed with no gear before. I broke the tail wheel off last night, but it was a nice night so I flew it three more times. Each landing furrowed the ground where the rudder was dragging. No damage, just some mud to clean up.

This summer I taught myself how to flat spin. My record is twenty eight spins before I pulled out of it. It's VERY easy to get this thing to flat spin, and it taught me how to flat spin some of my other planes. I hope to capture some video of it before the snow flies this season. I'm really tempted to see what damage would occur if I let her go all the way in. The decent is so slow.

A few of my buddies recently showed some interest in RC flying, so I loaded up the Cor-Star to wow them into the hobby. There was no place to take off from this guy's farm yard, as it was all just gravel and high grass. But, he does have a 60 foot shop with a smooth concrete floor. So, I gunned the throttle and took off from inside the shop! When it came time to land, I just cut the throttle and settled her in to the high grass. One the fourth flight, I came in a little too hard and snapped my wing in half. I was able to split the coro enough to poly glue a ply wood brace into the wing. After surgery, you can't even see where I cut into the wing, and I only added half an ounce of weight.

My wing servos have developed play in the gear train. I will have to replace them with new servos and leave those for throttle on other planes. I have wore out servos. How many guys can say they wore out there radio gear before the plane? Not many, I'm betting. A real testimony to the durability of this design. I have also went through two sets of bearings in my Saito 100. This last set is ceramic, and hopefully will last a little longer than the Saito originals.

A few scrapes and bumps along the road, but this plane still looks and flys fantastic. I'm building three more this winter; two for my aforementioned friends, and an extra one for your's truly.

My aplogies if this post sounds like I'm bragging, but I am! EVERYBODY should have a Cor-Star in their fleet. It's one of the most versatile designs out there IMHO, and it doesn't break the bank. Short on room? Stuff the airplane wherever it fits. It's not like your going to hurt it. New field to fly from? Bring the Cor-Star. If you fall short, you might break a prop. Plus the slow landings are a real plus for unfamiliar fields. Wanna try float flying? The Cor-Star fits the bill. Inherently water proof, and it won't sink!!!

If you've been putting off building this plane, don't hesitate any longer. You will find that once you have a Cor-Star, you will never want to be without it. Get to building, and have some fun! It's the best $40 you will ever spend.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:49 PM
proparc

This is an absolutely great post. How would you do a symmetrical airfoil in your method?
Old 04-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: proparc

This is an absolutely great post. How would you do a symmetrical airfoil in your method?
Block up the trailing edge while you glue and clamp the TE step in place.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:38 AM
jeebo
My Feedback: (42)

Thanks Deadeye, for the plans and pic of this plane,I love it real sweet plane. Jim
Old 02-07-2008, 02:30 AM
Deadeye

CREEEEEK.....SNAP.....CREEEEEEEK. Wow! What an old thread this is. I'm glad you like the design, and appreciate you 'bumping it up' to the top of the SPAD forum.

Enjoy! And post some pics if you are so inclined. I would love to see them. And please tell me how you found this thread. RCU search? Google?
Old 02-24-2008, 10:58 AM
GPS

I've been looking for a low wing aerobatic SPAD with a coro fuselage and came across this old/new thread. Design and build is GREAT ... and timeless!!!

However, I want to use an OS .46 AX. Would scaling down this design work? If so , how much?? 75 - 80%??? [sm=confused.gif]

Alternatively, are there plans elsewhere for something designed for a .46??
Old 02-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Deadeye

Find a friend with Four-Star 40, and use that as a template. I see no reason why this plane can't be scaled down to suit your engine.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:27 PM
MrGreenSpeed

The Demon is a great sport low wing Spad.

http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/Demon/

A little more complicated is the Spad Extra mid wing.

http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/spadextra/index.htm

There is nothing preventing You from making a low wing DasSpadStick or any other 46 size Spad at Spadtothebone.com

Experimenting is one of the best parts of building Spads to Me.

Jeff
Old 02-26-2008, 06:01 PM
draftman1

it is listed in the materials list that 1 sheet of corro is used. I cannot figure out how the wing panels and the fusalog could be cut out of one sheet. to me it just doesnt work out. I must be missing something???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.