Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Where the SPAD meets the Balsa

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Where the SPAD meets the Balsa

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 07:29 PM
rik756
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where the SPAD meets the Balsa

I crashed the heck out of the main wing on my Hobbistar .60. I debated using an old Avistar wing but it really is just too small for an overwieght epox bomb. So, I made a coro main wing for my balsa plane. Surprisingly, it flys fairly well. The plane has been a littly squirly since breaking the fuse in half and tearing off the entire tail section. A few gallons of epoxy and 789 ice cream sticks later it still flys. Here's a couple pics of the new wing. I may go ahead and make an all spad plane eventually, or I may just fly this til it dies lol.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68429.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	69865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47111.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	69866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72043.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	69867  
Old 10-24-2003, 10:26 PM
Crash Master

Default RE: Where the SPAD meets the Balsa

No reason a SPAD wing shouldn't fly just as well as the balsa one. I'm not 100% sure, but in looking at your pics, it appears that you may have creased the top of the wing at the spar. In the future, I would suggest that you NOT crease it, but instead just let it takes its natural shape. Originally the SPAD wings were creased, I believe, but it seems that the creased interrupted the airflow over the top of the wing. Once a "rounded" (for lack of a better tem) wing was tried, the results were such that almost no one is creasing wings anymore. Actually, the old-timers recommend against it - I think. I build all of mine without the crease and they all fly quite well.

Good luck,
Old 10-25-2003, 10:07 AM
Quicker

My flying buddy totalled his Avistar wing so we mad hime a SPAD wing. This setup worked very well until he finally dirtnapped the plane a few flight after his solo. The balsa/ply fuse is totaled and the wing is OK
Old 10-25-2003, 10:39 AM
rik756

I'm not 100% sure, but in looking at your pics, it appears that you may have creased the top of the wing at the spar.
That was unintentional. If I had known a way not to do that I wouldn't have. I guess maybe I cut out too many flutes on the LE allowing it to fold instead of bend? I cut out 2-3 flutes on the LE, stripped the coro where the spar would set, layed down glue and folded it. All I was trying to do was make sure it would stick to the spar. Somehow in that process I gave it the crease.

Any suggestions on how to avoid the crease on the next one or if I re-do this one?
Old 10-25-2003, 10:58 AM
ChrisSpad

don't cut anything. If you run the flutes spanwise, you need 2 spars. Score the coro, don't cut it.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:11 PM
Crash Master

Like ChrisSpad suggests, do NOT cut any of the flutes. Instead, with a small phillips type screw driver and a good straight-edge, you simply score (crush) the flute. But, instead of running the flutes span-wise, it is often recommended that you run the flutes chord-wise and score where you need to. By scoring the flutes chord-wise, you should get a fairly nice rounded LE (it will take some practice to get it right) and as you clamp the TF down, a nice wing shape.

Take a look [link=http://home.comcast.net/%7Etipstrickslinks/tip_wings.htm]here[/link] to get a little better idea of what we're suggesting. Building SPAD's is a bit different in some aspects than building with conventional balsa. The link above should giv eyou a better understanding. If not, ask and we'll be happy to offer all the help we can.

Good luck,
Old 10-25-2003, 04:56 PM
rik756

I got it now... I'll know better on my next one or even if I rebuild this one. I had no clue lol. Guess I should have read up a little more rather than just sitting down, cutting and glueing. Thanks all. It does fly pretty funky now. If/when I get the SPAD fuse ready to go I may just make a new wing and scrap my first mistake.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:55 PM
Crash Master

One of the greatest things about Spadders is their willingness to help. If you run into a problem, there is lots of experience to draw from. If you're thinking about doing something and you're not sure about it, but want some opinions, there's lots of those too. Spadders are a great bunch of folks from all over the world and with a vast and varying amount of experience. You'd have to be crazy not to tap these resources for help with Spad's, engines or just RCing in general.

Just my .00019998746,
Old 10-27-2003, 08:53 AM
thordoggydog

I used the BUHOR wing for my avistar when I toasted the original. It works great on that plane.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:01 AM
rik756

Well my first attempt at a spad wing was less than ideal but it does fly. Just from some of the info in this post I'm sure I can do better on the next one.

In fact, I'm even planning on converting the whole plane over to spad now. I caught a nasty cross wind on a take off from about 3 feet and cart-wheeled. It bent the tip of the coro wing a little which is where the brunt of the impact was. It snapped the balsa vertical stab almost in half just from touching the fear of hitting the ground.

Me likem coro - crashem hard an no break! GO CORO!!!
Old 11-02-2003, 03:31 AM
CaptKAOS
My Feedback: (7)

SPADS BOUNCE!!!!!!

Make an all coro plane.....takes the pucker factor outa flying.....whether ya are just learnin' or whether ya have lotsa experience.....

Cheap too.....and........

NO TOOTHPICKS!!!!!!!!