Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Electric DDUST pusher

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 07:16 PM
ChrisSpad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: It's a blast

your canopy is blanking out your verticals. Move them out and back. They need to be at the very back of the wing, and further out away from the sides of the canopy.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:54 PM
finchero
My Feedback: (-1)

ChrisSpad

thanks for the idea, the wing-lets are permanent but maybe I can bend them out a little bit do you think this may help. otherwise they will just have to be a static display for this model
Old 12-08-2003, 09:03 PM
ChrisSpad

if nothing else, add a couple more, about 3" out, and at the trailing edge of the wing. Your spinning due to lack of vert. stab. At speed leads me to believe that its due to the aerodynamics of the canopy.

This isn't the first time that someone's had a similar problem, moving the verts back and out has solved this very problem before.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:01 PM
finchero

ChrisSpad
I have been thanking about what you said with the vert stab, and looking down the nose straight on I can see how the canopy would negate the vertical fins. so instead of pushing these out more I have added two more further out. now the two original tail fins are set at 90 degrees and the two new are set 3 inches further out at about 45 degrees. what do you think?
will post pic after my camera recharges
Old 12-08-2003, 10:12 PM
ChrisSpad

so long as they're in clean airflow, it'll help a bunch, probably fix the problem. Moving them to the rear makes alot of difference as well, as the further behind the cg they are, the more effective they are. As far as putting them on 45°, i don't see how it'll hurt. v tails work that way. Should be fine.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:24 PM
finchero

here's the photo, I was able to move back the inner fins but left the second set forward for appearance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86845.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	80907  
Old 12-08-2003, 11:35 PM
ChrisSpad

i'd be willing to bet your spins will be gone. thats plenty of surface now.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:44 PM
RysiuM
My Feedback: (1)

I have looked at specification of MEGA 16/15/3 and realized that it's over 2.6oz (the same as ZAGI 400 motor). Than I saw other Mega motor: 16/7/5 . That's the piece I need. It turns 4.2x4.2 at 28k rpm drawing 15 A from 8 cells. My 950 can handle that (I hope). When I run it through my prop calculator I got the following results:

Motor HP = 162W
Static thrust = 11.7 oz
prop speed = 111 mph.

As I wrote before the airspeed is about 5% slower than the prop speed (at 70mph), so my guessis, that this delta should fly above 100mph (at least for 3 minutes).

The good thing is, that 16/7/3 weights 1 oz less so I can take out 2 oz of lead from the nose. That means she will weight 15 oz total. It should be more fun this way.

What do you guys think? Does it make sense?
Old 12-09-2003, 09:45 PM
finchero

I know you want to stay light, and that new mega motor will do the trick.the kans from my experience handle 12-13 amps fine 15 my be ok. good luck, and hand launch her full throttle grasping the nose and hurling her at 45 degree angle. also the motor is efficient at 15 amps versus the 16/15/3 at 30amps which the kan would not handle at all.
or you can do this mega 16/7/5 with 4.75x4.75 apc, and buy 4 irate lithium polymer cells(built into 2s2p pack).this will give you the same weight. this will give you 5 times the flight time ,more thrust, and higher prop speed. cheapbatterypacks.com has these cells at 18.50 each. they can handle 10c draw, that's 44amps max for a 2s2p pack. just remember that pack building is more delicate with lithiums
Old 12-12-2003, 08:24 PM
finchero

flies awesome now thanks, gained maybe 5-10mph
Old 01-11-2004, 02:35 PM
RysiuM

Here is a change.

I have upgraded D-Dust with MEGA (3 turns) and 1800 NiMh. Now the RTF weight is 29 oz with 2 oz lead on the nose (to have CG at 7 1/2 inch from the nose. I'm going to fly it today. See what's gonna happen.

RysiuM
Old 01-12-2004, 12:05 AM
finchero

warning warning
your mega 16/15/3 will not be able to pull enough power from that nimh pack, with 29 oz auw it won't fly well if at all. you need a pack that can give 25-30 amps to get the full benefit of the mega 16/15/3. you will be very disappointed. unless this is a new nimh capable of 30 amps I believe there are some out there. what say you, can your battery feed that mega??
p.s. will soon post my new fiberglass fuselage delta wing, this thing will fly very fast
Old 01-12-2004, 12:14 PM
RysiuM

ORIGINAL: finchero

warning warning
your mega 16/15/3 will not be able to pull enough power from that nimh pack,
This is not the 950. I put the same setup I had on my SPAGI ant it flew very well.

with 29 oz auw it won't fly well if at all.
At the flying field it didn't glide well, do I removed the lead from the nose making it 2 oz lighter. That balanced the plane well. So now I have 27 oz.

you need a pack that can give 25-30 amps to get the full benefit of the mega 16/15/3.
My little delta with this outfit flew 4.5minutes at WOT before ESC cut it off. That's a big difference compared to 400. Sorry, I didn't do speed measurements, but I run the same rpm as on SPAGI. The plane was a screamer.
Now what I'm thinking is either add 2 additional 1800 cells (for more rpm) or switch to LiPo.
At higher speed my coro delta was very stable and easy to fly. No flutter at all. No tendency to flat spin. No ugly behavior.

I't my new toy

RysiuM
Old 01-12-2004, 01:29 PM
finchero

awesome, as long as those batteries can handle the high amp draw then your good, which cells are they. 10 cell pack will make her scream, just remember that if you're still using coroplast ailerons then you'll need to stiffen them up some how. I found that once I hit a certain speed the ailerons would flex which means that at a high speed dive the plane would require twice as much time and elevator up to pull her up before she nose dives in the dirt at 80mph plus.
I noticed that with this coro delta that it requires a lot of elevator trim in order to glide well(with the cg set nose heavy), yet at the same time control at high speeds is much better with it a little nose heavy. so just adjust the battery for which ever flying style you prefer. remember that adding weight to the nose won't help it glide, too much weight will require so much elevator trim that you are slowing her down with drag. for better gliding adjust your cg back. only adjust 1/4 in at a time until you find the preferred spot. set the cg back too far and good luck getting her back. I did this with one of my delta's(changed battery with no cg adj.) and my heart was a flutter the whole 5 min it took just to get her back. the delta was a high speed up and down roller coaster that seemed to want to land on the moon.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:39 AM
ND_newbie
My Feedback: (8)

Just out of curiosity (and please forgive my ignorance if this is a dumb idea), could you stiffen the ailerons with a bunch of kabob skewers? They seem to be lighter than thin yardstick strips, and since they'd be running the width of the aileron, I would think they'd offer quite a bit of strength. At worst, as I try to visualize this, the aileron might curve a little, front to back, but that arc might be less pronounced than it would be with just the raw coro.

Would this work?

Mitchell Schaff
Williston, North Dakota
Old 01-17-2004, 05:13 AM
finchero

yes they would help but not ideal(still flexible). I say this because I've tried it. still the best thing is to just replace them with balsa(NOT FLEXIBLE AT ALL) and make hinges out of fiber tape. the hinges are made by taking a piece of say 2 in tape and cutting it in half. then reverse the the tape buy flipping one end and reconnect. now you have a piece of tape with the sticky side up on one end and the sticky side down on the other end. use about 6 pieces per aileron. these hinges work awesome. they should alternate with one piece of the tape on the top side of the aileron and the same piece having connected to the underside of the wing.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:05 AM
lvspark

Nice looking deltas..

I had several mugi pusher's with the zagi set-up and without any internal structure, thay are lighter, and I would say by your video, faster as well.
Not trying to stir things up, but the internal structure is not needed. Even with a .40 and 100+ mph, it was fine. Just make the mugi a bit larger for the zagi set-up. Use the plan at www.spadslopers.com , it is upscaled a little bit for the U.S. coroplast.

Mugi vs. DDust with the same equipment, the Mugi will always beat the ddust.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:53 AM
finchero

your right no internal structure is needed as long as you use an extra piece of coro on the underside of mugi. this of course will be installed on the inside. now I have flown without any structure as well and I can tell you that with just the 2mil coro the mugi does flex at high speeds especially when pulling up from a dive. so way not put in say one spar along the cg. still light and now no fear.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:43 PM
RysiuM

awesome, as long as those batteries can handle the high amp draw then your good, which cells are they. 10 cell pack will make her scream,
My little coroplast delta is going faster and faster When i broke my fancy CF electric prop 5.2 x 5.2 (for 5 bucks a piece) I cut old MA 7x6 to the size 5.75. Now I have ugly looking 5.75x6 MA. The motor spins it 17k rpm on the ground. The flight time is now 3.5 minutes but it's long enough for me.
I wanted to measure the speed, but the battery in my camcorder died[:@]. Anyway, it sounded something like a screeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmm. No flutter yet. Plane tracks very well, very responsive, and because it gets more static thrust (about one pund) it turns better without loosing to much speed. Now I'm ready for the next battery cell. I can easy add one (it will fit very well) that should add another 2k rpm.

RysiuM
Old 01-25-2004, 08:18 PM
RysiuM

I flew my coro-delta today. This time I had working camcorder so here is a small piece from two low passes. The next one (not a good picture captured, so I didn't include it in the video) I clocked at 105.8 mph

See the video, how fast that 3-dollars electric can be.

[link=http://masm.inc.home.comcast.net/coro100mph.wmv]http://masm.inc.home.comcast.net/coro100mph.wmv[/link]
RysiuM
Old 01-25-2004, 08:32 PM
finchero

very nice it flys about the same as mine. are you ready to race (I live in delaware... you). anyways these delta's are only priming our reflexs for the more pretty(and expensive jets). mark my words soon you'll be looking at em and wanting that pretty f16 or maybe a mig29
this is how she looks now plus a second jet I made of fiberglass. it was a learning experience
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60925.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	94216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33621.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	94217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11954.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	94218  
Old 01-27-2004, 02:41 PM
lvspark

You guys are going nutz with these! And there looking good!

Could you run that doppler program on this clip? [link=http://members.hscis.net/~mamyers/40mugi.wmv]here[/link]

Its crap video, and the muffler fell off on the prev flight so it wasn't running so well.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2004, 05:32 PM
finchero

ivspark, that' pretty good for a gas plane. but I think my buddy Rysium and I have you beat in the area of speed. now my delta-jet flys on the brink and what a blast.
convert to electric and join the club
Old 01-27-2004, 07:08 PM
RysiuM

I think my buddy Rysium and I have you beat in the area of speed.
I would never think, that electric plane can go so fast. And because it's electric I have kind of less fear (however I saw, what electric prop can do to your fingers). Somehow I feel safer.
The other aspect is that this piece of coro is indestructible, so even I have burried my delta on hand launches, I just cleaned the dirt of the plane and tried again - no damages at all.

Now in the area of speed. I think I can get a little more from my plane as it is now. What I did lately is, I added one fresh NiMh cell to my pack. It was new, so I guess it didn't work well yet (NiMh meeds to be cycled a couple times).

Next thing I can do is to put a 'normal' APC 6x6. What I have now is MA 7x6 cut to 5.75x6. It's fat and strong, but I guess it's not quite efficient as should be. So good APC should do the trick.

The last possibility is put 3s3p 2100 LiPo (kind of expensive - about $200 for the pack). It should give good 30 Amps at 10 Volts = 300W compared to 200W that I have now. But because of such high cost (200 bucks is a lot when put into 3-dollars airplane ) I will leave this option for the time, when I will need much more, than 100mph.

RysiuM
Old 01-27-2004, 08:38 PM
finchero

yes your right electrics also make me feel a little safer. I fly in a large school field bordered by a large farmers field, and I would hate to have a crash turn to fire like many of the videos I've seen of gas aircraft.
If you want lithium polymers in the future try this site http://www.unipros.com/cbpsite/packs...ssion_id=76751 , the 2600mah irate cells can pull 10c that's 26 amps and if you put them in parallel thats 52 continuous amp draw. a 3s2p pack will run around 130 but you'll fly for 20 minute(3s3p will get you up for about 30min.) average with throttle control. I used the nicds and nimh for a while but after using my first lithium I can't go back. two packs for around 50 min flying and I ready to go home very satisfied.
If you ever consider building your own packs make sure your very confident with a soldering ion and also remember that the positive terminal on lithium cells is aluminum and requires a special flux also sold at this site.
my delta-jet is ballistic with my 4s2p irate pack, I like the rush though. I just hope I don't put her in the ground. No flying lately... too cold. So I'll just keep building until my wife screams for divorce.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.