Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Giant foamie coro Edge 540 profile. Video and Flight report added.

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Giant foamie coro Edge 540 profile. Video and Flight report added.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 12:29 AM
ChrisSpad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant foamie coro Edge 540 profile. Video and Flight report added.

I finally got this bird finished.
Here's some basic specs:

Engine: 33cc homelite swinging an 18x6 apc at 8200+ rpm
Fuse: 66" length 12.25" height
Wingspan: 72"
Root Chord: 28"
Tip Chord:22"
Ailerons/flaps: 6.75" root, 3.75" tip
AUW:14 lbs
Wing loading: 18 oz/ft
Servos: One Hs625mg on each elevator half, one Hs925mg on the rudder, one S15CLMG (Gws) on each aileron. One S3003 on each flap. One Hs300 on the throttle. (8 servos total). 5 very high torque servos (90 oz+)
8 channels.

The fuse is 1" foam with 1/4" foam sheeted on each side with 4 5/32" carbon fiber rods running from front to rear embedded in the 1/4" sheet.
The engine l/g mount is 2 pieces of 3/4" aspen laminated together, with the c/f tubes attatched to it, as well as it being polyglued into the fuse, and covered with 1/8" light ply on both sides to add more rigidity, and believe me, its very rigid. Stiff as a board.

The fuse is channeled for all the servo wires, and battery. Wing is mounted via a tube setup, and features a 2" wide, 4" tall foam spar, with 5/32 c/f tubes channeled in top and bottom. The tube is actually a piece of 7/8" dowel, which is run through a 2" square piece of aspen thats polyglued into the fuse and capped with 1/8" light ply.

All moving surfaces are foam. Hard points were installed to give something to mount the control horns to, as well as c/f tubes in the trailing edge of the ailerons, and c/f tubes top and bottom on the hor. stab. Stab is polyglued into the fuse.

Wing skin is 2 mil clear coro. Fuse is covered with sign vinyl, and all wing trim, and surface covering is sign vinyl as well. Look ok, not great, but in the air, it'll look great.

At any rate, here's a few pics of the nearly finished product:

Here's one of me standing beside the wings for scale:

lots of build pics here:

http://users3.ev1.net/~cdjump/main/giantedge

and here's the topic that dealt with most of the construction:
http://spadworld.net/viewtopic.php?t=5529

If all goes well, i'll get to fly it tomorrow, provided the weather cooperates.

Oh, and it should hover. Checked the thrust output of the engine, 16 1/2 lbs.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:51 AM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Giant foamie coro Edge 540 profile.

Looks really good man. You seem to love to build these profiles out of coro. Could be the fact that you live so close to Jess Rozman I guess . I have a profile I have been wanting to build for a while but with a new all foam design I am building I dont have time maybe you should build it and see how it does. Build a profile like the Coro Sledge and then use a J-design wing. I bet it would work awesome, just dont have the time to do it.
How bout some inflight pics?
Old 11-16-2003, 12:02 PM
ChrisSpad

Jess is a buddy of mine, and what a pilot! If i were to let anyone do my maiden flights, it'd be him. But, i like doing my own. If i can remember, i'll take my video camera along.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:10 PM
Kripto

Now that looks really cool! Can't wait to see the video of that pup hovering. I just love the vid of Jess TRing the CLT...

Ed
Old 11-16-2003, 07:46 PM
ChrisSpad

Well, despite a very low ceiling (about 400 ft when the video was shot, and a very foggy day, i flew the edge.
Flight was very tame, no snappiness at all. I am thinking i may move the cg back a bit before i fly it again. Roll rate is good, but would be better with more throws - i need to make control horns, instead of the store bought one's i'm now using. But, overall, i was very pleased.
I got about 4 minutes of flight on it, which ain't much, but, i had a hinge come loose at some point, and wasn't going to risk flying it again, until i get it fixed.

you can see for yourself, it did everything that it should, just nice and slow. Even managed a knife edge loop, some hovering, and some harriering, not too bad for a maiden flight, i don't think.

http://users3.ev1.net/~cdjump/main/v...edgemaiden.wmv

its kinda large, about 7 meg, but i wanted to keep the quality up.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:29 PM
Kripto

hot darn.. chris you rock... "chris rock" of avation you are da man.... Tell me how long did it take you to build it?

Ed
Old 11-16-2003, 08:30 PM
ChrisSpad

Thanks Kripto. A very long 2 weeks. Working on it every day.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:51 PM
Col. K0rn
My Feedback: (1)

Awesome! What size weedie motor you have on that thing?
Old 11-16-2003, 10:10 PM
MalaysianFlyer

WOW!!!

Chris, that is BRILLIANT!!!!!

Is it directly scaled up from your 40 size edge? I have a MVVS 1.6 (25cc) that would love a good home, and this looks like it.

No wonder you were called the SPAD Yoda on another site
Old 11-16-2003, 10:31 PM
ChrisSpad

oh lets see. Its not a weedie. Its a chainsaw engine. 33cc homelite to be exact. A weedie generally doesn't make near the power that the chainsaws do. Why? got me.

The plane is the cc edge 540 scaled up to 150%. However, the construction is totally different. I took a bunch of build pics on my site, enough you could probably figure out how to build it. But, i have no intentions of making plans, it was just too complicated.

http://users3.ev1.net/~cdjump/main/giantedge
Old 11-16-2003, 10:39 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Very nice job Chris... Wish I coulda been there to see it.....
Old 11-16-2003, 10:47 PM
boogerboy
My Feedback: (3)

Nice plane Chris! I know how much work you put in it! I think it's paid off! I like all the different kinds of building methods you used! That's one thing I think is so neet about it! I wonder if chainsaw engines are ported for more torque? Boogerboy
Old 11-16-2003, 11:09 PM
TERMAGATOR
My Feedback: (2)

Thats neat Chris,,,,cant wait to see it in person....Gator
Old 11-17-2003, 12:14 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Looks Great Chris. Great flight. I can't tell you how jealous I am.

On the wing, you said 2 mil? Wow. It looks like it has the flutes running long wats, yes? did you do anything to add strenth to the wing, will it squish? Obviously it flys great, I'm just curious about the way you made it work.

You are really on the cutting edge of construction methods. Between coro, flat foam, EPP, etc Balsa will soon be a thing of the past!!! Long live Balsa trees!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2003, 07:43 AM
MalaysianFlyer

Chris you must be getting psychic, how did you know I was going to ask for plans??

I had a look at your construction pics, IMPRESSIVE!!

It give so much more flexibility to building by using the combination of materials.

BTW, I know you guys commonly refer to foam as blue foam, pink foam etc, but do oyu have the technical names for the foam you used?? I want to try and hunt some down over here

Thanks for sharing the great idea.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:48 AM
Burrito Bandito

Chris,

Once again, another cool bird! Great job!

I still got that weedeater engine waiting for you.

Congrats,

John
Old 11-17-2003, 10:37 AM
novabill

Awesome Chris,

You are the man[sm=lol.gif]
Old 11-17-2003, 01:33 PM
ChrisSpad

Thanks everybody! You guys didn't miss much yesterday, the weather wasn't alot of fun.
Word travels fast with you guys, lol. I saw Ricky at the field.

On the wing, you said 2 mil? Wow. It looks like it has the flutes running long wats, yes? did you do anything to add strenth to the wing, will it squish? Obviously it flys great, I'm just curious about the way you made it work.
Yep. 2 mil chordwise. Yes, i did something to add strength to it.

Here's the explaination from the other board:
Jim.

you are correct. The difference was in how i drilled each side. The reasoning was this:

bottom side of the wing. Trailing edge is at the top. See the foam that holds the trailing edge shut? See the black line in the middle of it? That black line is a piece of .295 od .245 id c/f tubing sunk into the trailing edge. The foam is 1/2" foam. That left me 1/4" free and clear to install the c/f rods between the trailing edge and the spar.

Now, why would i install c/f rods like that? Flex. When you get to a wing skin thats wider than about 14 or 15" (28-30 total top and bottom). the coro will flex at the trailing edge, up and down, no problem when the trailing edge is twisted. I'm speaking you can move it inches up and down. If you got a long scrap piece of 2 mil the the flutes running spanwise, fold it in half, and make a really wide chorded wing section, you'll see what i mean. All the tubes do is to keep the wing's trailing edge from twisting.

I think i sunk one piece of the c/f tubing a bit deeper in one piece than i did the other. The result was a bit more angle when i drilled through the trailing edge to insert the tubes. If you look closely at the second picture you posted, you'll see the second tube from the outside in is actually centered. I drilled the holes freehand, and just let the tubes hit the spar where they wanted to, to keep the trailing edge square. I could've opened the holes up a bit, and made them all the same, but didn't, as i wanted a good fit to the foam. PU glue would have filled the void no problem, but, i just thought it better to get a nice tight fit.

It works great, btw.

You can see the reinforcements in this picture:

Blue and pink foam are housing insulation foam. Made by dow, and owens corning respectively. Not sure exactly what they are called other than that. you can probably find more info on dow or owens corning's website though.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:39 PM
MalaysianFlyer

Chris, i was going through your pics and have reasonable idea of how to construct this plane, but am lost as to how you did your wing mounts. I understand about the dowels( one in the spar, and on at the TE) through the fuse (and the wood reinforcement), but can you tell me what did you use to hold it in place? Was it screws through one side of the wing, or on both, or somthing else that I am missing altogether?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2003, 09:42 PM
ChrisSpad

i didn't take any pics of that, but, you are correct. There are 1/4" nylon bolts that run from the bottom of the wing, up through the spar, and screw into the dowel. One on each wing, right at the end of the dowel, well, about 1" from the end. This is on the main dowel only. the trailing edge is just a piece of 1/4" wood dowel, to set the incidence of the wing.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:56 AM
MalaysianFlyer

Chris,

Thanks for the info, I am quite excited about this because its perfect for the MVVS 1.60 that i have sitting in a box. (was meant for my 120 size SU-31, but SPADS have left that one sitting in the box )
Old 12-02-2003, 10:57 PM
MalaysianFlyer

Chris,

Need to pick your brains for an opinion. I just got a good deal on an MVVS 58cc gasser. was thinking about the WM extra, but its a bit pricey.[X(]

Thought about doing an edge similar to yours (since its so inspiring), using 4mm coro for the wings with two wood spars for stiffness, and 6mm coro for the profile fuse. In your expert SPAD opinion, do you think it would be too heavy?
Old 12-02-2003, 11:04 PM
ChrisSpad

i don't think with the materials above you'll get good 3d performance. it'll fly, but it'll be a brick.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:18 PM
MalaysianFlyer

WOW that was fast, only just put the post up.

Thanks Chris, guess I'll have to rethink my design.