Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Check out my dad's Spad (new pictures!!!)

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Check out my dad's Spad (new pictures!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 03:45 PM
kwong2001
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check out my dad's Spad (new pictures!!!)

My dad's the kinda guy who surfs RCU almost everyday but never really posts. He really wanted to post pictures of his new spad for people to see, but he's embarassed about his screename so i'm taking the liberty of posting them myself.

I'll try to explain the plane as best I can. He designed everything himself. Using all these formulas and engineering. He used of course coroplast for the wings/elevator/rudder and used PVC pipe for the body. All the radio gear can be pulled out through the front of the plane by simply unscrewing a few bolts for easy maintenance. I believe he used the basic design of a pattern plane with a long tail section. Also, when we balance the plane, we found it to be incredibly tail heavy so my dad drilled the PVC pipe trying to get the weight in the back down.

It's powered by a GMS 61, with 7 servos total. Four on the wings and one for the elevator, rudder, and throttle. He has flaps and the ability to do a crow on landing

As for the flying, I only flew it once. It flew very nicely for for the first time. Once I had it trimmed it flew straight and was very easy to control. Since I hadn't flown in months and was getting a little confused on the controls, I didn't try to see what it could really do. But I did do a few rolls which were very axial (sp?). Also did a few loops and stuff. On landing, it seemed to take a bit to slow down, but it came in nice and gently.

So far I like the plane a lot. Even though it's technically my dad's i'm trying to claim it as my own...hehe, it just flies so NICE.

Anyhow enjoy the pictures

Note from moderator: Apparently the associated images have been removed from the site.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:07 PM
JuniorPilot

Default RE: Check out my dad's Spad

nice! great looking plane!
Old 02-26-2004, 04:59 PM
FrankC29

Has your dad tried the crow manuever? How did it go? Very nice, btw. I've been tempted to try adding wintip plates like that, there are a few who swear by them.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:03 PM
ticked

tell your dad i said "Great Job"
that plane looks sharp
Old 02-26-2004, 05:24 PM
upnflyin

Looks like beautiful workmanship there. Very nice looking aircraft. Tell him we welcome his input here on the forums. Join in the fun.
Al
Old 02-26-2004, 06:36 PM
kwong2001

ORIGINAL: FrankC29

Has your dad tried the crow manuever? How did it go? Very nice, btw. I've been tempted to try adding wintip plates like that, there are a few who swear by them.
We tried the crow up real high but it immediately popped way up in the air, so there's still some mixing to be done. All we did was fly it around and do some basic trimming.

We'll probably go back to field this weekend if the weather cooperates and try to get some real trimming done and get it nailed.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:32 AM
rchawaii

Wow looks great!

Couple questions:
RONS: What did he use for the connections on the rons? (The black triangles setup)
FUSE: I also see 4 servo screws on top of the fuse fore and aft of the lightening holes, is this to route nyrod?
Wings: Can he describe them and how they are made?

P.S. Tell him he can reg at our forum, he'll fit right in with all the other nuts theree. lol

Thanks! It is nice for sure.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:03 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

This is one great looking plane. It would make a nice sunday flyer. Can you post some dimensions? Wing span and chord.

Stab and elevator dimensions? Rudder and fin dimensions? Fuse length? Is that 2 1/2" pipe?

What did you use for a wing spar?
Old 02-27-2004, 08:05 PM
Woodsy

it's one of these, down the bottom. an adjustable control horn

Old 02-28-2004, 12:10 AM
kwong2001

Here’s some additional pictures and details on my Dad’s plane.

Wing Span: 48 inches
Wing Area: 732 inches square
Chord: 15.25 inches
Airfoil: 10 % symmetrical
CG: @ 30% MAC
Wing Planform: constant chord
Weight: 8lbs-3oz
Wing Loading: 25.77 oz/ft2
Fuselage Length: 55.5 inches (spinner to rudder)
Engine: GMS .61

Control Functions: Normal aileron/rudder/elevator/throttle
Crow (ailerons up/flaps down)
Flaps only (down for take off or landing)
Exponential
Dual rates
*Elevator to flap mix (elevator up/flaps down and vice versa)
*Aileron to flap mix (ailerons act with flaps like strip ailerons)

*For aggressive maneuvers

Design features: Designed with pattern plane Tail Moment Arm (modeled from Tai Ji 40) for reduced pitch sensitivity. Airfoil is approximation of a Typhoon 2+2 pattern plane airfoil for wind penetration. Gutter pipe scrap tip plates are for tip vortex reduction, increased lift, and stall resistance. Tip plates are removable for fitting of alternate tips (matching airfoil) to allow spin/snap maneuvers (i.e. allow wing to stall) as my dad progresses in his flying ability.

Designed for easy maintenance. Motor, tank, and throttle servo mounted on removable module. Battery, receiver, aileron/rudder servos, and pushrods mounted on second removable module. Removable gutter pipe bottom at rear for stiffening.

RC Hawaii: My Dad says he thinks he talked to you on the phone when he was trying to find a Handibond distributor. The entire plane is glued together with Handibond. He used the dot method for coroplast to coroplast joins and for gutter pipe to coroplast joins. Full coverage was used for wood to coroplast joins. Only prep needed was to clean plastic surfaces with Windex. Handibond is great stuff if allowed to cure overnight.

The black triangles are the bottom sides of Dubro adjustable control horns. Woodsy is correct, he wins the soggy cigar butt.

R.C Hawaii has good eyes. The servo screws are attached to scrap servo arm remnants used to attach the nyrod tube. The receiver antenna is housed in the nyrod.

The wing is single piece and simply folded with flutes running chord wise. The ailerons/flaps (with flutes running spanwise are glued between the trailing edge of the fold.

The wing spar is simply standard yard sticks joined together at the center. However, at the center, please note the picture of the bolt on wing details. The yard stick join is reinforced with several layers of yardstick (6 inches in length). Holes are simply drilled through the reinforced center section for the wing bolts. The center section is also cut to form a wing saddle which straddles the gutter pipe. My dad says this was the simplest/cleanest system he could devise.

One last thing. My Dad has given me this plane and has started to build an improved .40 size one for himself. He swears this one will be for him. But if its really an improvement……………..I wonder if I can have another plane for me. Hmmmmmmm

Old 02-28-2004, 02:06 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks very professional !
Old 02-29-2004, 09:03 PM
kwong2001

Hey guys. Sorry it took so long, but we needed time to gather the data to answer the rest of the questions. MNRCAEROBAT, if you combine this additional data with the data we provided in our later 2/27/2004 (9:10:04) reply (the one with the additional pics), your questions should be fully answered. Here are the remainder of the specs.

Vertical Stab

height (above fuselage) : 7.5 in.
area : 62.25in2 (8.5% of wing)

Rudder

height (to fuselage bottom) : 9 in.
area : 36 in2 (57.8% of vert stab)

Horizontal Stab

span : 22 in.
area (including elevator) : 147.5 in2 (20.2% of wing)

Elevator

span : 22 in.
area : 57 in2 (38.6% of horiz stab)

Fuselage

Made from standard 2.5x2.5 gutter pipe.
Length : 43 in. (gutter pipe only)

Ailerons : 13.5 in. x 2 in.

Flaps : 9 in. x 2 in.

I hope everyone has had their questions answered. We went to the field Saturday, but when we arrived, a torrential down pour was occurring. We won't be able to try definitive flight tests and trimming until next week end. The plane flew so smooth the first time that we're getting antsy about finding out what she'll fly like when the final trimming is done. I didn't know SPADs could fly so well.

Once we get it trimmed out, we'll fly it against our Tai Ji pattern plane to compare performances. However, we probably won't fly it against our Typhoon 2+2 2M pattern plane. That would be an unfair comparison??? We'll post a flight report if we get the opportunity to later.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:05 AM
oo shee
My Feedback: (1)

Good job KWong2001! You did your dad proud with your post!
Old 03-04-2004, 12:10 AM
SHOCKWAVE 1

looks great but as for me im a warbird lover check out these on this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_15...tm.htm#1578537
Old 03-04-2004, 12:44 AM
DLSmith2

Default RE: Check out my dad's Spad (new pictures!!!)

KWong2001,

Outstanding! Beautiful fleet! I like the removable power and control trays, too!

Great job of SPAD engineering!

Shockwave 1,

Great looking warbirds!

Blue skies,
DL
Old 03-04-2004, 12:55 AM
SHOCKWAVE 1

Default RE: Check out my dad's Spad (new pictures!!!)

ya too bad i dont have enough nerve yet to test fly em got 3 of them to fly ohhhh i forgot a pic of Bent's corsair here chek this out
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45873.gif
Views:	31
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	107592