Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Is it possible????

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 05:14 PM
Steve108
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible????

Can the PBF be used with a non-computer radio?
Old 03-01-2004, 07:42 PM
SeacretsOceanCity

Default RE: Is it possible????

IN short YES,you can buy a plug and play electronic piece that just plugs into your rec then the servos in to it.Think its around 20 , 30 bux. do a search on RCU to find it.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:16 PM
DLSmith2

Steve108,

I flew my PBF with a Futaba Skysport 4, non-computer radio. I got the elevon mixer from [link=http://www.bill-tek.com/products.htm]Bill-Tek[/link] and it works great! I even got the exponential adapter for it, too.

Good luck, and don't forget the pics and flight report!

Blue skies,
DL
Old 03-01-2004, 08:20 PM
The_Tron

You could also build one like the mini pbf off the spad originals site: http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/Pizza ... Just scale it up to whatever engine you want to use... Or just add the elevator idea to the pbf plan you are building from.

It has a less conventional setup for a flying wing with an elevator wedged in between the ailerons so no mixing is required. I can't speak for how differently this would fly though.

-Tron
Old 03-01-2004, 08:23 PM
Woodsy

Yep, another way is to split the elevons diferantly,. instead of cutting them in 2 as per plans, cut them in 3 each 1/3 span.
the center one is the elevator and the outside ones are the ailerons just hook up the controls like a normal planonly thing is you need 1 more servo
Old 03-01-2004, 11:17 PM
FrankC29

Three ways that I know of. Two of them have been mentioned, that is, Splitting the control surfaces into three and using the center surface as an elevator (like the Ciggy Pack plans), an on-board mixer, or this setup called a "sliding tray". It's a bit complicated and I wouldn't do it, however it sure is interesting. Do a search and you'll run into a pic I'm sure.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:24 PM
ChrisSpad

I'm fairly sure Boogerboy uses the sliding tray on all, or most of his pbf's, but, i could be mistaken about that. I know he described how to make one, but, i'm not sure when, or where.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:34 PM
msm9724

Hi, i have used the great planes slinger elevon mixer on my pbf, and i can guarantee you it will work perfectly http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...er&FVPROFIL=++
Old 03-02-2004, 04:11 PM
bhole74

ORIGINAL: FrankC29

Three ways that I know of. Two of them have been mentioned, that is, Splitting the control surfaces into three and using the center surface as an elevator (like the Ciggy Pack plans), an on-board mixer, or this setup called a "sliding tray". It's a bit complicated and I wouldn't do it, however it sure is interesting. Do a search and you'll run into a pic I'm sure.

I have seen this used, surprised the heck out of me, but it worked.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:54 PM
Steve108
My Feedback: (36)

ORIGINAL: DLSmith2

Steve108,

I flew my PBF with a Futaba Skysport 4, non-computer radio. I got the elevon mixer from [link=http://www.bill-tek.com/products.htm]Bill-Tek[/link] and it works great! I even got the exponential adapter for it, too.

Good luck, and don't forget the pics and flight report!

Blue skies,
DL
Is the expo adapter only for the Skysport or is it universal? I have a JR400 I'm planning on using.

I guess that yes, it can be done! Thanks!!
Old 03-02-2004, 09:29 PM
DLSmith2

Steve108,

The elevon mixer and expo unit are universal. Let them know what type rx and servos you have and they'll make it compatible. You just plug the servo leads into the mixer (or adapter) and plug it's leads into the receiver. It's really small, kind of like the size of an ESC on a basic electric plane. On my PBF I used both the elevon mixer and expo adapter and it worked like a charm.

Don't forget the pictures!

Blue skies,
DL