Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Hurt my BUHOR today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 08:34 PM
Mitty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurt my BUHOR today...

Good evening fellows.
Just got back from flying field ..I crashed my buhor today...NOrmally when i crash(normally hehe) Rubber bands just break..Today I took off and lifted up about 50-75 yards ,then stalled nose up and then went down..I think my spad is a little underpowered with .61 supertigre. Even though it was flown before very well by experienced pilot I am newbie,and i think if i had more "juice" to pull out of that stall I'd be ok...
Anyways,when i picked up the plane it was just fine...not even a pushrod bent,,,wing suffered though It broke in the middle,,Dang cheap yardstick just cracked and shared in pieces.Thus to fix it i think I will cut about 2 inches off the center and epoxy it back together with reinforcer made out of the birch dowel.Don't think it will hurt anything since my wing was a little too big anyways.But after today's crash i started thinking about wacker engine in it.I bought one off ebay and its a smallest one weedeater use -22 cc,which i think should be enough...It definately will 'help' the buhor to loose that teal-heavy habbit Anyways..I got only two days to fix my wing...I think it's more then enough time for spad repair
Have a good evening folks..
Fly safe

Mitty
Old 03-26-2004, 05:30 AM
barkin_bob

Default RE: Hurt my BUHOR today...

Hi Mitty, I think you should stick with that .61 it should have more than enough power for the B.U. Prince. You don't want to break that new gas engine or do you ?? ..... still crashing I see.. maybe getting a flight instructor from your club is a good idea. You need to take a step back and think about it, is trying to teach myself to fly really worth the possibility of injuring or killing some one.

Your Friend Big Bob
Old 03-26-2004, 10:13 AM
Wufnu
My Feedback: (2)

If you wanted to convert your engine, you could get down to 18cc (smallest I've seen yet, anyways) with a WeedEater Featherlite.

I'm not sure how good it would peform, I think I read somewhere that the smaller the gas engine becomes the less efficient it is compared to a glow motor. Vice versa as they get larger. Wouldn't hold me to that, my memory is a bit fuzzy sometimes.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:22 PM
Captain351

Stick with the .61. Gassers are the next level and shouldn't be attempted before you are a competent flier. If you need to adjust the balance just move your wing back a little until it balances on the spar. It's a lot easier to drill a couple new holes for the wing hold downs than it is to hang a gasser on the nose believe me. You may also want to get someone else's help with adjusting that engine so that it gives reliable performance.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Mitty

Good evening.
Yeah the more i think -more i certain bout sticking with .61.
I glued up my wing today,I had to cut a few inches from the middle where it broke but its still big enough to comply with the plans.
As for instructor-nobody believe at the club that my spad will fly.Only one guy flown it twice and he told me later on he was a bit surpriced that spad will take off the ground ...so i just keep on going out there and taxiing and taking off and of course crashing..So far i flew about 50 yards up in the air before it stalled and crashed.

Since my wing glued up i am heading off again tommorow morning..
Thanks for the input..You guys helped me made my mind bout gasser for right now.