Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Question about the SPA3d

Old 04-02-2004, 09:28 AM
Dazzler86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the SPA3d

I saw the plan of the spa3d
and I wanted to ask why do I have to put the music wire inside the wing at the center and near the ailerons? and how do I put it so it holds tight inside the coroplast?
Old 04-02-2004, 10:54 AM
thudriver

Default RE: Question about the SPA3d

The wing needs the music wires to stiffen it up. I found that I had to drive 5/32 wire in with a hammer so there was no problem with it moving. 4 mm carbon fiber tubes work even better! thudriver
Old 04-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Dazzler86

ok tnx.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:38 AM
MrGreenSpeed

One more tip move the center wire back a few flutes so it will hit the fuse .
Drill a hole threw both sides of the fuse so the wire will go threw the fuse.
This helps stiffen up the whole plane.
Also run the wire that is just in front of the hinge line the full 36 inches.
Carbon fiber is the way to go but the 5/32 wire works fine.
My $ 0.02
Old 04-03-2004, 06:38 PM
Dazzler86

ok I have 1 more thing I wanted to ask before starting with building the spa3d . when viewing several spa3d's on the web I saw that some used foam inside the wing next to the leading edge fold. is this recommended? or the wire at the tip is enough .
Old 04-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Scott Crownover

Dazz,

I put foam in my latests version, just to see what advantages it offers. I've heard good reports about the foam, but belive me, even without it, these planes typically survive repeated hard crashes with little or no damage. I suggest music wire for your first effort because its readily available, cheaper than carbon, and easy to pound in without damaging it (put windex in the flute first).
Old 04-05-2004, 09:57 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Dazzler86

ok I have 1 more thing I wanted to ask before starting with building the spa3d . when viewing several spa3d's on the web I saw that some used foam inside the wing next to the leading edge fold. is this recommended? or the wire at the tip is enough .
Its hard to improve on the design of the SPAD3D.... Anything you do to it starts to add complication and makes it more work to build and typically the payoff on the extra effort is more weight with less "real" improvement in flight or crashability. The plane will probably handle more crashes with the wire. The wire is flexible and thus gives but springs the wing back. The foam can crack and then you have broken foam held together with coro. And, the wing is strongest in the front --- thats where the coro is doubled over. The wing is weakest in the middle and to the rear.

My U-tube fuse bent from crashes before the wing died. The wing has all kind of creases but it just goes back to its original shape. If I were you, I would build with the square aluminum tube (spad3dT)...that seems to be a real improvement since thats where mine crapped out.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:06 PM
walz
My Feedback: (3)

[:@]