Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

only 2 m"m coroplast here...:-( wht can I do?

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

only 2 m"m coroplast here...:-( wht can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 04:21 AM
Dazzler86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default only 2 m"m coroplast here...:-( wht can I do?

there is only 2 m"m coroplast here, and ordering a 4 m"m board will cost too much . I have been thinking about how to build the spa3d with 2 m"m coroplast . the problem is I dont wana glue 2 peaces of 2 m"m cause wouldnt it be too heavy? the only idea I have come up until now is to use foam and put it inside the wing next to the leading edge fold. any ideas?

dazzler86
Old 04-04-2004, 05:34 AM
Woodsy

Default RE: only 2 m"m coroplast here...:-( wht can I do?

Add a spar and/or some ribs from foam or some ply wood
Old 04-04-2004, 09:01 AM
MalaysianFlyer

Another alternative, get your old monokote cardboard tubes, and glue those to the inside of the wing fold
Old 04-04-2004, 10:23 AM
shoko1

use a foam.
an israeli man build VERY NICE spa3d(or somthing like that) and he puts foam next to the leading edge fold.
if you cant find foam, use plywood(i used to another project a regular plywood.
liran
Old 04-05-2004, 10:07 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Double up the 2mm coro with another piece of 2mm coro.....but only in the middle 1/2 or 2/3rds of the wing. It will probably be stronger than plain 4mm and not add too much weight as a full piece of 4mm.

Double up in the middle only
________
|
v

---------------------
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
---------------------

{ok, my drawing didn't work, but I think you get the picture}
Old 04-06-2004, 05:10 AM
Dazzler86

hmm....wouldnt it be better if i'll just glue the whole 2 pieces together ? cause I the get the feelling that glueing only in the middle would change the whole behavior of the plane cause im playing with the wing profile .
Old 04-06-2004, 10:40 AM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: Dazzler86
playing with the wing profile .
lol...are we talking about the spad3d? It has no wing profile. Its a flat piece of coro bent around in the front. I love the plane --- but aerodynamically it has notta. I bent my fuse because my motor died 4 times and all 4 times, the plane literally went straight in the ground and all four times I dove to the ground to try and get airspeed and flare but it has no aerodynamic capability at all. It is 95% thrust driven with the wing acting like a wind resistance surf board.

But I only suggested that because you didn't want to glue the whole piece for fear of a weight gain. I doubt the weight gain is that significant but glueing two pieces of together should work as well.

However, in the spad3d, you are dealing with such a thrust to weight ratio that aerodynamics get virtually thrown out of the window. Kinda like what happens when you attach a rocket to something. You can fly a car if you attach a rocket to it.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:15 PM
Dazzler86

ok tnx , I got the idea. just 1 more thing . would it be better if I'll alternate the flutes direction when glueing the 2 pieces? cause I think that would stiffen up the whole plane , but im afraid that it will interfere with the ailerons, elevator and rudder hinges....
Old 04-06-2004, 12:51 PM
3d-aholic

Yes, it would stiffen it up a lot. Probably enough that you might be able to reduce if not eliminate the MW you were asking about in a different thread...and that would offset the weight gain as well. Or, at least you would only need the MW in the middle.....you could get rid of the rear piece altogether in my opinion. I would put the flute running forward and aft as the bottom piece and stop it at the aileron hinge line and just hinge the top piece as 2mm only. You will have a tough time creasing against the flutes and so all that ugliness of that bend will be inside the front-J.

Its SPAd, try it...the worst thing that could happen is that you would be out $10 in coro, still need 4mm, and a few hours that you would have spent watching TV anyways.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Dazzler86

Ok im done with the elevator stabilizer\control . As you can see its basiclly from a 2 m"m board with another 2 m"m in the middle . The 2 m'm on the control is just for the looks . As you can see in the 2nd pic the yelow 2 m"m board is bent, it was allready bent before I cut it . Do u think I should make a new one? or stay with this one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42722.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	119656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49297.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	119657  
Old 04-07-2004, 02:57 PM
3d-aholic

bent is bad....