Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

HELP WITH 1st SPAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 02:27 AM
adb291088

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP WITH 1st SPAD!!!

Hello guys... I'm gonna get coro may be today or so... and then start building my 1st SPAD - SPADET-LC40.... I've saved all the pics of the plans from the sapdtothebone site... and I'm really eager to get started.... the thing is, I'm building for the first time... so if anyone can give ANY sort of suggestions and/or tips or ideas regarding the plane or building techniques of SPADs, it would be just great... I'm totally a new-B in building... so please give ANY tips, tricks, etc..... I don mind if they're to dumn according to u, but that's what I'm gonna need!!!! I'll also post any difficulties DURING construction... so I hope people will help... ur helpreegarding CORO-2-CORO sticking was great.. so thanks.... please keep the building techniques comming in.... I'm following this forum regularly!! Oh ya... one more thing... just a curiosity... approximately how long does it take for a totally unprofessional new-B like me, to build a SPAD for the 1st time?? I'm definitely gonna buil it no matter how long it take!!!! but just a curiosity....

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-05-2004, 07:29 AM
red_guy

Default RE: HELP WITH 1st SPAD!!!

for a beginner the spadet is a little to much to build. i would go for the qhor or gnat type aircraft. they are simple to build and as much fun to fly

i started with the spadet and it never flew. but i want to rebuild it and i am confident it will be ok

red guy
Old 04-05-2004, 09:34 AM
novabill

You said you are a new-b builder, are you a new-b flyer? how much flight time do you have?
Old 04-05-2004, 04:38 PM
adb291088

oh.... actualy by new-B I mean only in construction.... I've learned flying with a trainer chord and got a solo too.... (the person who taught me n dad was kind enough to train us for NOTHING in return... but we later on presented him an engine... ) so flying is not a problem... I'm confident that I can fly well.. nothing much aerobatic or so, but a nice gentle flight.... some loops n rolls n satisfactory circuits and a good landing is what I can do... but the thing is, I recently crashed an aircraft beyond repairs!!! my dad says that it was perhaps because of the new rubber-bands we put on to hold the wing... sounds funny enough.. but the rubber-bands were WAY too thick than normal ones, n so they hardly stayed on the dowels even!!! and so what he says is that during flight, one of them snapped out, and was caught in the other ones in place, and so this loose rubberband jammed the aeleron..... when the plane crashed too, I felt as though she was not responding to my aeleron control!!! I mean, something (wind I guess) rolled it a bit on oneside... when I asked for a bank in the opposite side, she just didn't respond!!! n then what u know... she continued the flip and just tumbled to the ground and broke in 2 clear halves!!! Now this is what my dad THINKS happened.. actually even I guess it must be right since I lost the plane because it dint bank at the right time.... so anyways because of all this, I don wanna fly another 'conventional' balsa ARF, just for the fact that it's so costly!!! (anyways, my dad just took me along and bought one today itself!!!) but I don wanna fly it!! no way!!! that's y I wanna build and fly SPAD, coz if it crashes, a fraction of te money will be lost, and hence only fraction of the pain!!!
Old 04-05-2004, 04:59 PM
adb291088

I tried and searched a lot but couldn't get coro anywhere here in Abu-Dhabi or Dubai (they r in UAE) so can someone pls suggest different materials??? I know I asked this before any someone said cardboard... but I don think cardboard will curve out so well to give me that perfect wing shape... aerofoil I mean... I just thought of something.... will particle board work??? has anyone tried it??? it bends out nicely, but is like plastic... it gets to the normal shape once u leave it!!! so it'll curve out properly for the wing I guess.... pls help... oh by the way, will a NON-CURVED wing top provide lift??? I mean, my top of the wing can be out of two flat surfaces that join at the spar ( I can just bend the material that way) I mean instead of curving the material, I'l bend it at the spar, so my aerofoil will be a triangle... I hope ur getting me.... will it work?
Old 04-05-2004, 05:00 PM
novabill

You might want to try a QHOR, or a SPA3D I have always found them easy to fly and they can be trimmed out for conventional flight. They do'nt float at all though. I have a 40" WS with an EFI fuse and at 4.5 lb it does better than most. Here's the link.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/SPA3...1530347/tm.htm

they really are'nt that hard to build and you almost cant mess one up. I love mine and I will always have at least one spad. Do'nt be afraid to ask alot of questions, you will always get the answers here.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:02 PM
novabill

I wonder if these guys will ship to india?

http://www.harborsales.net/index.cfm?
Old 04-06-2004, 12:44 AM
rajeev

adb291088,

Do you want coro in India or in Dubai? If it is India then you can contact www: corpacind:com. I remember giving you this contact a couple of months ago also. Could you get in touch with them? Can't help you if you want it in Dubai or anywhere other than India.

Cheers
Old 04-06-2004, 12:58 AM
adb291088

Oh!! u saw the place on the left as India that's y ur probably askin if I wanted coro in India or Dubai.... well lemme clear things first..... I live in Pune, (study there actually.. will go to 11th now!!) but I am right now in Abu-Dhabi (near Dubai) on vaccation..... and another problem is, I can't actually fly in India, since where I live, i.e. in Pune, there is no open space in the city, so people go to a far off place, actually a gliding centre for flying!!! and this field is around 20 kms from the city!!! and since I'm just going to 11th, I don't have a car or anything.... so transport is a big problem... so I guess unfortunately I may not be able to fly in Pune... but till the time I'm here, I can fly every weekend, since dad will be flying balsa ARF... I don wanna fly that, because of the story I mentioned in the previous (above) reply!!! So, I wanna quickly build and fly atleast a weekend (the SPAD) I guess it should take me more than 3 to 4 days to build it... should it? And after all, I'm free here all day... right from the time I wake up till I sleep..... so I can work for like 6 hrs or more a day.....

Oh ya and by the way, I don need the address of the site in India, coz with the help of Sunil Rikhye (a well known flier in Pune) I've located a shop in Pune itself!!!! which has got damn cheap coro!!! but how unfortunate!!! where I can't fly, coro is readily available in cheap, and here (in Abu-Dhabi) where I wanna build it and fly, I'm not finding it after a hunt even!!!
Old 04-06-2004, 01:22 AM
rajeev

Now i see your dilmma. I understand your problem related to commuting to and from the field. I am sure you must have tried hooking up with other fliers in Pune so that you could travel in their car to the field.

Building AND flying your FIRST SPAD in 3-4 days time is possible but a tall order. First SPAD is where you will need to do a lot of experiments - with trying to locate where to get the supplies from (coro, wood, glue etc.), what to buy, how much to buy, tools, building methods etc etc. But if you have your mind set on it, you can get the moon. It will be smooth sailing once you have had a taste of the building methods. At least this is what happened to me.

Cheers,

Rajeev
Old 04-06-2004, 08:44 PM
Kripto

Default Spadet LC-40

I built the Spadet for my first trainer and my first spad. It flew so well that I was able to teach myself to fly last winter with out an instructor. I dont recomend this to anyone but I did it because #1 I am a pilot and know what it takes a plane to fly and #2 I used to fly R/C about 30 years ago with my dad. She hit the ground many times and is still hanging in my garrage for the fond memory od what a great palne it was. BTW it took me about 2 weeks to build it as I took my time....

Ed