Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Benefit of two aeileron servos - could i make this mod to DPS?

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Benefit of two aeileron servos - could i make this mod to DPS?

Old 04-18-2004, 01:48 PM
photoniq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benefit of two aeileron servos - could i make this mod to DPS?

hi - what is the point of having two aileron servos? I have a spare servo and was thinking of making a mod to my DPS with dominator wing to include two servos for my ailerons. I have read it gives better control authority but don't really know what this means.

Anyway - to do the mod i was thinking of cutting a hole in the bottom of the wing and installing a plastic/wood backplate inside the wing for the servo mount against. This would mean that the top part of the wing could be left untouched. It would mean I could place the servo in the middle of the wing so that the connector on the aileron was in the middle of the aileron rather than at one end. That has got to be good right?

Will the above idea work and is it worth it?

P.

p.s. can you tell it's my first build?
Old 04-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Woodsy

Default RE: Benefit of two aeileron servos - could i make this mod to DPS?

Yet it will work and IMHO if you have a spare servo doing nothing it's worth it,

Having 1 servo per aileron set up in the middle of the aileron gives better movement of the aileron and therefore better roll/bank rates, it "feels" better in the air.

if you have the flap function on rour radio you can also now mix in flaperons for slower landing
Old 04-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Mike18

Will the above idea work and is it worth it?
It will be well worth it.
The BEST part of useing 2 wing servos is you don't have to thread the rubber bands under the aileron pushrods which is a PIA.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:49 PM
FrankC29

It also has the benefit that if one aileron servo fails, the other one will allow you to land. Plus you install them out of view under the plane, which looks a little nicer.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:27 AM
photoniq

oooh i never thought about the rubber band threading issue. I'll definitely install two now!

Thanks guys

P
Old 04-19-2004, 06:06 AM
ysrcflyer

Here is a bottom side shot of my DPS with 2 ailerons. Very simple setup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb87026.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	123927  
Old 04-19-2004, 06:22 AM
photoniq

could you give me some detail on how you mounted the servo's? I only have the instructions for mounting mid wing and am not creative enough to get this right if left to my own devices.

Also, is it ok to use regular control horns? I took the ones off of my trainer which I crashed. Or, is it necessary to fabricate one's own control horns with a larger plate area?

Thanks,
P.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:40 AM
ysrcflyer

I cut the holes for the servos so one leg of the servo screwed into the yardstick spar and I CA'd a ply plate under the other leg for the servo.

I don't see any reason you can't use regular control horns, as long as you have long enough screws. Possibly add a piece of light ply under them to spread out load.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:55 AM
Mike in DC

I'm not one to rain on anybody's parade, but I'm going to inject some reality here. If it's your first build, and you're asking the question, I would bet $100 that you will not be able to tell the difference in the air. The slight downside is that it does add some complexity, and something more to fail (the Y cord).
Old 04-19-2004, 01:26 PM
photoniq

while I may not be able to tell the difference in the air it will elminiate the hassle of threading rubber bands and will also mean the elevator is less likely to get twisted (warped) right?
Old 04-19-2004, 02:05 PM
Henry_90lx

I don't know how two aileron servos would affect the elevator, but having two servos is beneficial in a lot of ways. More power to the control surface, ability to mix in flaperons, helps to prevent or stop flutter issues, allows you to have shorter control rods = more responsive control surface.

As far as details on the install

here is a pic
http://www.henrylx.rchomepage.com/Pic/webIMG_3078.JPG

I use all 4 mil for my wings (only size I can get locally) so I have never found it necessary to reinforce to coro for the servo install nor have I found a need to screw the servo into the spar. (not that I am saying to do so would be wrong) I like to have real short control rods so I mount the servo about 4 inches from the control surface. I make the hole for the servo real tight so that the servo and the coro support each other to prevent and flexing then just poke a couple of holes thru the servo screw holes and run some zip ties.

Henry
Old 04-19-2004, 05:56 PM
FrankC29

About the Y-connector failing...usually the y-connector replaces a standard extension, which itself can fail as well. Maybe the Y-connector has a very slightly higher chance of failing, but it's probably a very tiny difference. However, if you are using a flapperon setup, than there is no Y-connector, there's two extensions, but if one fails the other servo will get you down.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:38 PM
WhiteKnuckles

I am planning on doing the same thing. This might be a stupid question, but how do you mount your servos and Y connector? Do you set it all up before final glueing? Clearly, I've never set up two aeleron servos before. However, and I think you'll agree here, I need to keep the top of my wing clear to mount my pilot and his Vickers machine gun. Priorities!
Old 04-22-2004, 02:30 AM
photoniq

I think most people tie-wrap their servo to their plane rather than glueing it in .. but I await their answers too because I am not sure myself.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:08 AM
ysrcflyer

Here are a few more shots how I set up mine. You can see inside the wing the added plate for the rear servo leg. The servo mounting, the wire routing, the y-connector in the fuse, the completed plane.

Name:	Ki19380.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	125117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91028.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	125118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83100.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	125119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi16134.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	125120  
Old 04-22-2004, 06:11 AM
ysrcflyer

The completed plane.

My artistic daughter is a fan of Sponge Bob

Name:	Wu59836.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	125123   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42659.jpg
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	125124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19965.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	125125  
Old 04-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Captain351

The way I actually install dual Aileron servos is to find the approximate center of the aileron (not the wing) and mark a spot at the same place on each side of the wing just behind the spar. I then take a servo and position it so that the hole in the servo arm is over top of the mark but remember to use opposite sides of each servo so you won't need to reverse one servo. Also keeping the servo to the inbound side will make your servo extensions a little shorter. I position it so that the servo is just behind the Spar so that the screws on one end of the servo will thread into the Spar (make sure the servo lead faces away from the spar). Trace around the servo and then cut a hole where you traced. One end of the servo will screw into the spar (predrill) and I usually cut a small piece of PVC and glue it inside the servo opening to give the screws on the other end something to bite into. The linkage should be installed just like any other control surface but I do use a PVC backer the whole width of the aileron under the control horn.

I hope that helps some.

If you have a local flying field this will make a lot more sense if you look at how some other planes with dual Aileron servos are setup.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:06 PM
WhiteKnuckles

Thanks. It makes sense now. I'll follow suit. The last question I have is regarding the Y connector.

Am I nuts, or does the Y connector not split to the two aelerons, allowing for a single connection to the receiver? In one of the pics it looks like there are dual connections going to the receiver.

Once again, I've simply never set this up.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:17 PM
ysrcflyer

Yes the y-connector does split to the two ailerons. I have the y-connector stuck into the fuse. There is only one lead to plug into the receiver.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:45 PM
Henry_90lx

WhiteKnuckles,

You can use a Y connector to plug two servos into one plug or the way I like to do mine is use two plugs on the reciver so that I can mix in some flaperons.

Henry
Old 04-22-2004, 04:32 PM
Mike18

I just thought of another good thing about 2 aileron servos over one.
When I have a less than perfect landing for about the 100th time the rubber bands start to cut into the aileron hing when the wing gets knocked sideways.
With one servo the control horns are less effective(if not useless) with the tear in the inside edge but with 2 servos and the controll horns in the center of the aileron the tear doesn't hurt anything.