Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

plastic hinges

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 10:21 AM
photoniq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plastic hinges

Hi - when my trainer blew up I noticed the hinges were made of very thing flat discs of plastic. Why don't you use these on spads rather than jamming a relatively thick piece of corro in to the wings trailing edge?
Old 04-19-2004, 01:52 PM
Henry_90lx

Default RE: plastic hinges

Part of the spad concept is inexpensive. Why buy something that you don't have to. Also there is a method that you can use that you do not have to "jam" any thing into the trailing edges of the wing.

If you look at this pic, ( the pic was not taken to show this so it is not the best) you can kind of see that the aileron is not sandwiched in between the upper and lower wing panel, but in stead the uper wing panel is glued about a 1/4 inch short of the trailing edge of the lower panel and the aileron is attached to the lower panel there. Makes for a thiner trailing edge and also smooth airflow over the rons.

http://webpages.charter.net/henry_90lx/webIMG_3020.JPG

Henry
Old 04-19-2004, 05:07 PM
photoniq

Since my upper wing sheet (not glued to bottom sheet yet) is longer than the lower sheet could i do this in reverse? In other words the trailing edge of the upper sheet would be further back than the trailing edge of hte lower wing. Then, I could just stick my aileron to the underneat of the upper sheet right?

How come dominator doesn't use this? Isn't doing things this way weaker than the dominator technique in which the aieleron is glued to two surfaces and is therefore held in real tight?

In fact could I not just use that overhanging bit of upper wing as my aieleron? That way I would not have to glue ANY aieleron in at all surely?

P.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:59 PM
Ross Kean

On the Dominator, the flutes run chordwise (front to back). Some people have used a router to make the hinge go across the flutes rather than with the flutes.

This would work well with spanwise flutes. Spanwise flutes, however, have another problem - the coroplast will tend to "break" at the spar giving a somewhat triangular shaped airfoil which doesn't fly very well.

A third option is the RNAF wing. This is usually made from two pieces of coroplast. The bottom is 4mm coro with the flutes running spanwise. The top is 2mm coro with chordwise flutes . The bottom 4mm coro can be extended beyond the top of the wing and can be hinged normally. I don't have a link for the RNAF build but someone else can probably jump in here to help out.

Ross
Old 04-20-2004, 12:25 PM
photoniq

ahhhh - i didn't think about the fact that the flutes would be running the wrong way with the dominator wing. I'll stick to the full dominator design with the wedged in piece of aieleron..

thanks for saving me from a mistake
Old 04-20-2004, 12:35 PM
bhole74

I built a slightly modified dogfighter and made the wing out of a single sheet of coro with the flutes running spanwise. It does have a triangular airfoil but it flies extremely well, upright and inverted. It does not tip stall and has plenty of lift. I am running a 40 fsr on it and has reached speeds in excess of 90 MPH.