Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Polyurethane or polypropylene Glue?

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Polyurethane or polypropylene Glue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 05:12 AM
photoniq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polyurethane or polypropylene Glue?

Should I be looking for polyurethane glue or polypropylene glue?

is polyurethane glue wood glue? In the ad's for it, it seems to be advertised as such...

Is it sometimes called PU glue? This is the stuff that is good for glueing correx right? We can't get elmers in the uk - and i know that is what a lot of you US guys use.

What is the UK alternative?

Hope someone can help, I got a wing that needs sticking and I didn't have much joy with CA. The Bostick all purpose stuff seems to be holding the spars in but I want to try this poly glue stuff for the trailing edge and aielerons. I just don't know where to get it

P.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:06 AM
Ross Kean

Default RE: Polyurethane or polypropylene Glue?

Polyurethane glue or PU is sold primarily as a wood glue but differs from the typical "aliphatic" carpenters glue. It is a fairly thick amber-colored resin which cures with moisture - foams and hardens to a light yellow color. It is very tough but takes some curing time. Gluing plastic to plastic, it is a good idea to thoroughly scuff the surface with coarse sandpaper or use a "woodpecker" tool to make a bunch of small holes along the glueline (glue forms "rivits" which helps hold it together). Lightly mist one of the surfaces with water just before assembly. This will greatly enhance curing time. Make sure surfaces are well clamped or they may separate with the foaming of the glue during the curing process.

Ross
Old 04-21-2004, 07:25 AM
photoniq

I can't find PU glue ANYWHERE (I am in the UK). Ok there is one guy selling it locally but it comes in big mastick tubes..
Old 07-23-2006, 04:21 AM
POLYPROP

If you are building useing Polypropylene, this what the flute boards are made from that are used in the sign making trade. Real estate signs etc. It is really great to make planes from and really tuff. The only problem is that its really hard to glue, what i have found is to use a contact cement for large areas ( LIKE ADOS F2) but the best for the rest is 3m Scotch weld # dp8005 or dp8010 the 8010 has a 10min use time give it a try. regards
Old 08-01-2006, 01:02 PM
voyager_663rd

ProBond polyurethane glue is another brand name. Gorilla Glue is a third.