Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Looking for deadstick vids of QHOR/Spa3D

Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Looking for deadstick vids of QHOR/Spa3D

Old 04-24-2004, 04:02 PM
gasrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for deadstick vids of QHOR/Spa3D

I'ld like to see some videos of these plaes during a dead stick landing/crash. Can someone point me out to some?

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:39 AM
Scott Crownover

Default RE: Looking for deadstick vids of QHOR/Spa3D

Hi gasrc,

I've no info on vids, but have seen my old one deadstick and crash plenty. Comes down at about a 45 degree angle in **glide**.

SC
Old 04-25-2004, 01:52 PM
2left_thumbs

I've only deadsticked my QHOR once, and while I don't have a vid of it, I think I can give you a pretty good idea of what it looked like. First, imagine the plane in a harrier about 40 feet above the ground, then engine dies. Now take a rock, toss it underhand about 40 ft high, and watch how it comes down, and that's about the glideslope of my QHOR. Hope this helps

p.s. Reason for deadstick was I forgot to think about fuel levels from having too much fun. Refueled the plane, flipped the prop, and went back to flying, absolutely no damage to the plane from the rather harsh landing.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:30 PM
Ross Kean

Even if you have some forward speed, deadstick is a quick trip to the ground. If you have sufficient altitude, your best bet is to dive at a sharp angle and hope you have enough elevator to flare at the last second. As for a vid, I don't have one but you would need to be quick on the camera to catch it. These planes fly on the engine but can do the sweetest low power harrier right down the runway!

I liked the comparison to the rock offered by "2left_thumbs".

Ross
Old 04-25-2004, 09:46 PM
gasrc

That's what I figured.

I have a TT46 on my plane which is of the basic design of the PQHOR which is supposed to be equiped with a .25. I was just wondering if the extra weight up front would make for a worse deadstick situation. I guess it's too bad with a .25 to get any worse, so I'm good withe the 46.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:46 AM
DipStick

Gasrc,

The poor glideslope is caused mainly from the low aspect ratio(AR) not the weight of the plane. In general the Aspect ratio closely reflexs the glideslope so a plane with a AR of 6 will go forward 6 feet for every foot it drop in height. A plane with a AR of 1 will drop 1 foot for every 1 foot it moves forward. So lets say both planes are moving 20 feet per second the 6 AR plane will sink about 3 feet per sec the 1 AR plane will sink 10 feet per sec(hence sink rate). The heaver a plane is the faster it has to fly. Faster speed, faster sinkrate. The added weight of the engine will only increase the speed a little and the sink rate a little (speed at most 2 feet per sec faster...sink 1 feet per sec faster). Ross has the best solution dive the plane down and flare is about the only way to keep from hitting hard. Even if you flare it up to 2 or 3 feet off the ground it is better than a "Gliding" dead stick landing.

Steve
Old 04-26-2004, 02:03 AM
red_guy

i've deadsticked my qhor a couple of times. if you dive and pull up in the last moment you can land the plane. but it will be a very hard landing. be sure you will get a bent landing gear or fuse. but you can repair it onsite and fly in 10 minutes again. gotta love the spads.

dont try to glide it down. i tried that once and resulted in a stall which crashed my plane really bad and sent me home for repairs

red guy