Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

engine for crash survival

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

engine for crash survival

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 08:00 AM
Jack Hyde
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine for crash survival

I am trying to get into some sort of 3d flying. I built a SPD3D then read most new to 3d fliers were crashing most of their flights. So I built a QHOR40 which I read is prone a lower crash per flight ratio. I have a YS63 but I don't want to risk it on the nose of a plane that is going to nose in a lot. For a SPAD engine I would like, in order:
1. Reliability - easy to start, adjust, use
2. Survivability - not prone to break if crashed
3. Repairability - easy to fix, available parts, cheap parts
4. Light weight
5. Good power
6. Low cost

For example YS or Saito 4 stroke are ok in 1. poor in 2 and 3 great in 4 and 5 and poor in 6. Not a good choice for SPD3d beginners. A GMS 47 seems fine in 4,5,6, I read various things for 1 , don't know about 2 and 3. Could be good. I really don't want a problem engine. I drive 10 miles down a rotten dirt road to get to our field and really want to fly when I get there.

I am thinking Magnum, Tower, GMS (same as Tower), TT. Super Tiger, ??? I am not hung up on one brand or 2.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:01 AM
Scott Crownover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine for crash survival

Tattoo and others touted the GMS .47, I have no experience with it, it is said to run strong, but it seems to be prone to air leaks, if not sealed prior to use. Tower .46 is big power, but can be finicky to keep running that way. I suggest TT .46 pro, OS .46 fx or ax(may be some good deals on new fx now that the ax is on shelves), also Magnum .46 xls.

SC
Old 04-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Mike in DC

This is a tough one, one that I've thought a lot about. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that engines run a whole lot better if you don't dig holes in the ground with them, but I have learned some:

1. The mount makes a huge difference. I've never built either of the planes you mention, but the trick is to use a mount that is strong enough to hold the engine on in flight, but no stronger.

2. The OS .46 FX is a pain. The needle valve breaks off easily and the two screws that hold the carb on weaken the engine casing so it breaks there easily. That jams the throttle stop screw which bends easily. On the plus side, parts are readily available (but there's not much you can do after you break the crankcase!).

3. I like the TT Pro .46 better. When the needle valve gets hit, it's more likely to rotate the carb than break. On the other hand, you can only do that so many times before you get huge fuel leaks between the needle valve seat and the carb.

4. Spinners can be a problem. In a crash, they can come apart and damage the carb. Use the solid prop nuts from DuBro instead.

Good luck!
Old 04-29-2004, 12:35 PM
DLSmith2

Jack,

This is a tough choice! You've listed lots of good engines, but you also might want to take a look at the Evolution 46 NT. It comes with pre-set high and low needle valves, broken in at the factory so it's ready to fly out of the box, plenty of power, and costs about $89. I just got one, took it out of the box, put it on my Deb, and put it in the air. LOTS of power with a MAS 11x6.

My OS was expensive but reliable; GMS cheap, but crashed a lot of planes when it would overheat and stop at the worst moment. The Evo looks like it has the reliability of the OS coupled with the power and cheap price of the GMS.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Blue skies,
DL
Old 04-29-2004, 02:39 PM
Jack Hyde

You make the Evo sound pretty good. Where did you get it?
I have a low hours OS 46 that seems expensive for a crash and bash plane. I was asking locally for a beater engine that ran OK so I could get past the first several flights with the QHOR or SPD3D without doing a lot of expensive engine damage. I haven't had a big crash so far but it looks risky from here forward.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:26 PM
DLSmith2

Jack,

Got my Evo at Ben's R/C in Rockport, TX. You can find the Evo online at [link=http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/services/advanceresultsDetail.asp?strProd=&strInCategory=EAA&ThisPage=Engines?tag=dir]Horizon Hobby [/link] for $89.99.

You might want to contact Boogerboy on www.spadworld.net if you're looking for an engine for a crash and bash plane, he's got about a zillion of them.

Blue skies,

DL
Old 04-29-2004, 10:38 PM
masterlink

Jack, I would build a Debonair Spad if I were you. It takes a lot of abuse and keeps on flying. Do put a plastic DuBro landing gear on it though. And I have a used OS 46LA blue engine with the original box and docs plus muffler and mounting screws. I have replaced the back plate mounted high needle valve because of a crash with a different carb that has the needle valve mount on the carb and it is an OS carb. Masterlink
PS send me a PM with your address and a money order for $45.00 if you are interested.
Richard Link
611 Lamkin RD
Harlem, GA 30814
Old 05-04-2004, 12:35 AM
Jeff Thompson

ORIGINAL: Jack Hyde

I am trying to get into some sort of 3d flying. I built a SPD3D then read most new to 3d fliers were crashing most of their flights. So I built a QHOR40 which I read is prone a lower crash per flight ratio. I have a YS63 but I don't want to risk it on the nose of a plane that is going to nose in a lot. For a SPAD engine I would like, in order:
1. Reliability - easy to start, adjust, use
2. Survivability - not prone to break if crashed
3. Repairability - easy to fix, available parts, cheap parts
4. Light weight
5. Good power
6. Low cost

For example YS or Saito 4 stroke are ok in 1. poor in 2 and 3 great in 4 and 5 and poor in 6. Not a good choice for SPD3d beginners. A GMS 47 seems fine in 4,5,6, I read various things for 1 , don't know about 2 and 3. Could be good. I really don't want a problem engine. I drive 10 miles down a rotten dirt road to get to our field and really want to fly when I get there.

I am thinking Magnum, Tower, GMS (same as Tower), TT. Super Tiger, ??? I am not hung up on one brand or 2.
Try a .61 Evolution engine. You can find them on the Horizon Hobby web site. I've owned three of the .46's and one .40 so far, and they are outstanding! They seem just as powerful as an O.S. and have O.S.'s easy starting qualities as well. They are also $40 less than an O.S.! To top it off, they are broken in at the factory, so you can literally stick it in your plane and let 'er rip. I swear. I had one in a Spad Dart that I crashed three times without any damage at all to the engine. First crash in a tree at medium flight speed (the Dart would do nearly 100 mph with the Evolution .46)--broke the prop and sliced the aileron hinge (coroplast) about three inches. Second crash was after a big loop too low to the ground-broke one side of the aluminum Hangar Nine engine mount and the prop; replaced the prop and temporarily wired the mount together. Second crash that day (it was a bad day) and I broke the other side of the engine mount & the prop again. The engine stayed intact. My local hobby store owner hates that my flying friends and I now buy Evolutions, because he could make more by selling me O.S.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:12 AM
red_guy

just go for the cheapest you can find. the first spad will crash a lot so expensive is bad. just stay away from the 4 strokes. they are beautiful but arent made for crashing

starting is not a problem with an electric starter.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:05 AM
Jack Hyde

I told the guys at my club what I was looking for and one of them gave me a used-but-running ASP 46. That should do it. I am ordering a Magnum 52 from Quantum Hobbies. $80, no tax and free shipping when I add a few things to get the order over $100. The idea is to get some of the crashing out of my system with the ASP then switch to the Mag. Or I can try the Mag in a Burrito.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:57 AM
Scott Crownover

Sounds like you'll be well equiped with that combo. Just rmrmber to use the throttle!

SC
Old 05-05-2004, 02:08 AM
red_guy

dump the magnum. its very hard to start and tune. i have one and i hate it
Old 05-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Jack Hyde

Hey Red,
Don't you think I should open the box and give it a try, or do you recommend I just toss it out and save the bother. It might just be OK like 1000's of other Mags running just fine, I think I will give it a try before I toss it.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:13 AM
red_guy

oh. they run just fine. they have only a few "problems":

they start extermly hard (starting by hand is a killer)
the idle screw and the carb retaining screws come loose during flight.
muffler is not well sealed. it leaks oil in every joint

so. u can see the magnums arent a good deal. better throw another 10$ and but a TT

u dont have to throw it away. just return it if u want. check the engines forum for magnum and you will see other people complaining of these problems. i know i wont be running any more magnums in the future

regards
red

PS: dont attak me for giving you some advice. you asked for it, didnt you? at least thats what i recall.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:45 PM
masterlink

Hey RED, I run Magnums and they run just fine. Ofcourse I spend a little time sealing all the muffler joints with red high temp sealant and put blue loctite on the carb mount, muffler mounting and the backplate screws. then I mount the engine to a test stand and run about a gallon of fuel through it during break/run in. Never had a Magnum fail me yet. Also if you are not pleased or need to replace a part; the company tech service is GREAT. I just called about a broken carb rotating barrel and they sent me a new one FREE! Ya just cain't beat that...Masterlink
Old 05-06-2004, 02:41 PM
changed
Banned

Jack build any spad you want, they will all probably take a lot of abuse. I have the Spad3d and It is a wonderful 3d trainer. I have a supertigre 45 on the front and it will hover at 1/2 throttle with a 12.25 x 3.75 apc prop. I have a friend who has the same plane but has an os 46fx on it. Plane flies just as good as mine. His has hit the dirt many times and never broken anything on the motor. I guess the saving grace of the spad3d is that it is designed to fly slow anyway. Really though if you are in a vertical hover two feet off the ground and the plane falls over there is just not enough momentum to really harm the engine. I have had many Engines hit the ground in my 20+ years and the amount of damage to the engine is usually related to the hardness of the dirt (or tree, concrete, water).
Old 05-06-2004, 07:51 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

I suggest a used .46 2 stroke...whatever looks like a good deal on E-bay.