Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

DPS disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 03:57 PM
FrankC29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DPS disappointment

ORIGINAL: WhiteKnuckles
Get a life and get a sense of humor. I'm done with this.
Where is it that you were trying to be funny anyway??
Old 06-29-2004, 04:06 PM
DeBearSteve

Can you say Jim?

DeBear
Old 06-29-2004, 05:22 PM
ChrisSpad

hey guys, lets all head over to the 1/2a forum and tell em why bigger flies better. Then lets go to the pylon forum, and tell em all turning left over and over is boring. Then lets go to the gas conversion engine forum and tell em why that da50 is so much better than any conversion, and how much lighter it is.

What would you like to bet that the responses we'd recieve wouldn't be quite as nice as ours have been. lol.

As far as not having a sense of humor, i think i have a great one, and based on that opinion, let me tell you, nothing you've said remotely approached being humorous, much less funny.

Since they're all too modest to say it themselves, one of the guys that actually came up with the Spad concept in the first place, and the guy that keeps STTB up and running, and pays for it both responded to this thread. One of them you said you couldn't understand why they took it personally, and the other you called a "weird hobby snob".

Too bad i resigned moderating this forum, i would've taken great pleasure in deleting your post, and then explaining to you what a troll was.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:56 PM
Woodsy

Ha, i love these threads, starts my day with a laugh.

and as for spelling WK may be you should do a spell check on yours before throwing dispersions on others.

Now WK may be if youd started the post something like "i built a DPS and it flew like crap, can some one please help me figure out what is wrong" you may have got some help.

And actulay some of the guys on here DID invent/start the SPAD thing.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:32 PM
Tattoo

Here is a pic of the original DPS. At the time the pic was taken it didn't have a name yet. I built DPS #2 so that I could take photos along the way while I made the photo plans and wrote the instructions that I uploaded to spadtothebone. I still own and fly this plane. Oh yeah...I really did build mine exactly to plans. I no longer own spadtothebone. Burnout. Whiteknuckles has many friends.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39584.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	148722  
Old 06-29-2004, 06:35 PM
koopster

While it is very sad that knucklehead, or was that whiteknuckles, has started a mess with his comments, in true SPAD fashion, I think some good will come of this! Mike in DC says "I bought a primer meant specifically for coro and CA, so I never had any issues". What is this magical primer you speak of?

Koopster

ORIGINAL: Mike in DC

I don't know exactly where you went wrong, but I can tell you that I had one of the best pilots in my club fly my first DPS, and you would not believe what that plane did. Everybody at the field was watching in amazement, and thoroughly enjoyed the flight. My favorite moment was an inverted low pass about 6" above the runway. Then, he tapped one wing tip on the runway, and when it bounced back, rolled a couple of times the other way and took off straight up. I'm still not sure that I saw it correctly, since it seems impossible as I write this. I don't think you can fly that fast inverted that close to the pavement on a plane that is "uncontrollable". The nice thing about seeing it was that from that point on, I knew that whatever the plane couldn't do, the fault was completely the pilot's (i.e. me).

Note that this was my first DPS, and I built it exactly according to plans (I like to start with a design someone else has proven). Since then I've learned enough to take at least a pound off the plane, and going from 6 pounds to 5 pounds makes a huge difference. I've built or re-built a total of 7 now, and two of my buddies love flying them as well as myself.

Chris may be correct that you're just not cut out for plastic. For one thing, it really helps to see that plastic is the SOLUTION to many problems. If you have the patience to build with balsa, and aren't dismayed to see your creation turn to toothpicks in a hard landing, then you might just not appreciate the problem that Spad was meant to solve. Another nice thing about Spad is they are simple, and all the servos, tank, control rods, etc., are all on the outside where it's easy to get to them. If you don't find this a virtue, then Spad may not appeal to you.

You don't give us a lot to work with, but to address your problems directly:

1. It's not really fair to substitute 4mm for 2mm, which is a huge design change, and then call the result a POS, now is it?

2. If your spar didn't break in two after you pulled out abuptly out of a dive, I'm not sure why it matters that it's soft wood.

3. As far as rigidity, if you built the plane with American downspout, which is what the plans call for, it should be plenty rigid. Real planes aren't all that rigid, by the way, which you can see by looking out the window when you're flying a real plane.

4. If you built the plane with a 30" fuse, it will waggle a bit in a cross-wind. Could this be what you mean by "uncontrollable"? A lot of guys stretch the fuse to 33", but it does add a couple of ounces of weight.

5. There's no doubt that gluing coroplast is the achilles heel of the spad world. I bought a primer meant specifically for coro and CA, so I never had any issues. Spad is always evolving, and I think you'll see that the newer designs rely a lot less on adhesives.

Sorry it didn't work out. There's nothing wrong with balsa. I have an OMP profile, and I love it. I kind of look at the profiles as the Spads of the balsa world, since their minimalism makes them about as easy to build and operate as you can get with wood.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:02 PM
Mike in DC

ORIGINAL: koopster
What is this magical primer you speak of?
Sorry, I've found over the years that primers aren't that popular with Spad builders. I use Loctite 770. [link=http://www.mcmaster.com/]McMaster's[/link] has it. I've also used Loctite 793, which seems to work exactly the same. One bottle would probably build 10 wings or so. I have read and tested every single gluing method posted on this and on the One True Spad Forum (OTSF), and the only two I've found that produce joints stronger than the coro are the primer and flashing. (Before anybody flames me, I'm just telling my experience, your mileage will vary!)

By the way, this thread has made me feel much better about my DPS addiction. I was starting to get the impression that the entire Spad community had moved on to the 3D planes, and I was starting to feel a little old-fashioned with my two DPS's. I just got back from the field today--had a ball doing inverted low passes. Whee!
Old 06-29-2004, 07:33 PM
FrankC29

By the way, this thread has made me feel much better about my DPS addiction. I was starting to get the impression that the entire Spad community had moved on to the 3D planes, and I was starting to feel a little old-fashioned with my two DPS's. I just got back from the field today--had a ball doing inverted low passes. Whee!
No way!! As a matter of fact, the 3D bug has sort of worn off on me, and my urge to fly plain ole sport is back big time!
Old 06-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Just Plane Nuts

I finally succeeded in destrying my original DPS it was over 2 years old and my friends and I have flown this plane to death. After the fatal crash I came home and began working on another one. This is my favorite airplane. I use it for everyday flying, club contests, and high risk events in our airshow. When I built this plane 2 years ago my fellow club members just looked at it and shook their heads, two years later I have built about a dozen of this very same plane for my club members and we all love them... Just my two cents
Dale
Old 06-30-2004, 06:58 AM
Oodles

10-4 on flying them to death--My DPS has been flown by more people at our field than than any other plane--Warbirds guys-Fun fly guys--Sport guys--Heli guys--Old guys--New guys and down deep everone wants one --We all agree its the best flying plane inverted in the world
Old 06-30-2004, 08:47 AM
StallN

Mike, Frank, JPN & Oodles,

You are about to drive me crazy!![sm=bananahead.gif] I am in the process of selling my house and moving. I have had to put all my building of planes on hold[:@]. All I can fly when I do have time is my tower trainer. Can I say BORING!!![:'(] I can't wait to get my son's Deb finished so I can get on the DPS. I too went to the Spa3d and got a bit tired of just 3D. I have not had a sport plane yet. I'll have a good place to build planes in the new house but I probably won't be in it until August. So I'll just read all the posts and be green with envy of all the spads flying. Keep it up!!

Bye the way, WK should try again. I think he may have just rushed thru building.

Later
S