Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

SPA3DT WITH DPS WING

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 01:31 AM
kracker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPA3DT WITH DPS WING

I had built a SPA3DT downsized to 32" fuse and 32" wing but did not like the way it would dive straight into the ground (for reasons unknown to me)[>:]. It would fly, but would not pull out of a dive from time to time. I got tired of that real quick[:'(]. I'm not a great pilot, but I do fly pretty decent, so I don't believe that it's all pilot error. Anyway, I replaced the wing with a DPS wing from a earlier spad that I had built. It is now my favorite plane to fly. It flat spins like crazy, hangs on the prop, and flies decent too. Also great fun in the type of wind that sends many balsa fliers home. (not knocking balsa, as I also fly balsa). As soon as I learn how to post pics from my computer file, I'll do so if anybody is interested. [8D]
Old 12-21-2004, 09:54 PM
DLSmith2

Default RE: SPA3DT WITH DPS WING

Kracker,

Welcome to the forum and the bounceable world of SPAD! Sounds like a good "SPADification!"

You've got my curiosity up; just how did you mount the wing? Looking forward to the pics!

Blue skies,

DL
Old 12-22-2004, 12:48 AM
kracker

I JUST USED A PIECE OF PIANO WIRE BENT UNDER THE ALUMINUM FUSE AND PART WAY UP THE SIDES AND THEN BENT TABS OUTWARD. I THEN SLID A PIECE OF SILICONE TUBING OVER THE WIRES (ONLY WHERE IT TOUCHED THE FUSE, NOT ON TABS) SO THEY WOULD NOT SLIP ON THE FUSE, AND JUST USED RUBBER BANDS AS ON A TRAINER. THIS WAS TEMP. UNTIL I FOUND IT TO WORK GREAT FOR CHANGING CG, SO I'M LEAVING IT THAT WAY. WING IS NOT ROCK SOLID ON 1" WIDE FUSE WHEN ROCKING WING SIDE TO SIDE, BUT IN THE AIR, YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW IT. I WILL POST PICS WITHIN A WEEK, DON'T HAVE PICTURES YET.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:48 PM
thetoad
My Feedback: (2)

What is the size on the dps wing

Thetoad
Old 12-30-2004, 04:00 PM
The_Wreck
My Feedback: (40)

I have a spad3dt that flew great then I mucked with it and it started doing exactly the same diving and tucking. The problem was only occuring at increased speeds, I originally thought it was from the wing bowing so I replaced both spars (middle fuselage and TE) with 5/32" 36" CF tubes so I know it is not bowing significantly and that did not solve the problem....I finally solved the problem by raising both ailerons so that they are angled a few degrees up, similar to spoilerons. What I believe was happening was that as the speeds increased the ailerons had a little droop in them and they would overcome the elevator and cause the nose to pitch down. The only way to compensate for this was to adjust elevator to overcome it, but then the plane would not fly level at lower speeds. Raising the ailerons solved all of these problems, the plane flys straight and level at all speeds (still starts to drop the tail at really slow speeds due to the CG) and hanldes much better. This thing flies like a new plane, I was ready to pitch it in the trash.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:15 PM
kracker

I'll have to try that with the ailerons. I had a lot of fun with it until I grew tired of the diving in. Good idea. Thanks for the reply! I'm posting pics of the spa3dt with the DPS wing.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:22 PM
kracker

The dps wing is the same as the original dps plan on spad to the bone site. It spans 48" x 11" with 2 1/2" aileron tapering down to 1" at the tip.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:16 PM
thetoad
My Feedback: (2)

thanks

thetoad
Old 01-15-2005, 05:39 AM
petergomes

Hi Wreck,

I TOO seem to have the similar problem with my SPAD3D ,iTS START spinning at high speed,

what I understan from your mail is by increasing both ALERION by 2 to 3 degree solves the problem but what about the dive created by that,defenitly with raised alerion the model will tend to dive,Is it that I need to give up elavator to compensate the dive

Request you to pls explain much more in detail on how you overcome the diving problem..
Old 01-17-2005, 07:35 AM
The_Wreck
My Feedback: (40)

With that little bit up up ailerons, I did not experience any tendency to dive...It just stabilized everything. I think this is primarily due to the relatively aft CG location of 6 to 7" behind the LE. But I am no Aerospace Engineer. If you get a little bit of dive, try a little bit of up elevator trim and see if it helps.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:16 AM
CJ32769

I still want to see a pic of Krackers plane
Old 01-22-2005, 03:46 PM
MrGreenSpeed

Here is a link to a video of a Spa3d with a tapered symmetrical coro wing.
It was Built by two tone at spadworld.
It's called the SSS3D.
Jeff
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...0/f7b721d6.mpg
Old 01-22-2005, 09:03 PM
kracker

Here you go. (pics)
ORIGINAL: CJ32769

I still want to see a pic of Krackers plane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version