Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Gnat questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Backwing
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gnat questions

I've got a TT .15 that needs a home, and I figure the Gnat would be perfect, but I've never seen an airfoil like that on the Gnat.
Anyone have any problems with it? It looks like it would create an eddy or vaccum on the bottom of the wing.

I also have a GWS Rx with naro/std servos. Would they be strong enough?
Old 02-12-2005, 12:38 AM
fxhobbies

Default RE: Gnat questions

Believe it or not ... the GNAT flies pretty good even with a 30' streamer on it. We've got about 25 GNAT fliers in our club that fly them for combat. The reason the guy's like the GNAT so much is that it flies slow enough for our new pilots to get into combat flying .. but I agree with you about the eddy and/or vacuum under the wing. We have solved this problem with the QHOR .40 and the QHOR .25 We even call it a new name .. the FX-STINGER .40 and the FX-STINGER .25 .. we're still working on one for the GNAT. The wing has a 4 mil. bottom and a 2 mil. top with the U-Channel running through the spar in the wing. It is attached to the U-Channel with screws and backing plates. The wing is lighter and makes a world of differance on this style plane. We did run into a problem with the location of the battery pack and receiver. You can slide it in the end of the wing but can't access it anywhere. So we put a little hatch in the front of the spar on the bottom of the wing and work quite well. The only thing is you have to be a little more patient when installing the receiver and battery ... this also helps to keep the fuel off. Here are some pics of what we have done. NOTE: This is not an easy wing to build or square up ... but it's worth it!!![img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81893.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	228185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23332.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	228186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61481.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	228187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75574.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	228188  
Old 02-12-2005, 09:51 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I've found the Gnat to be quite fun, but a little "squirrelly", especially at higher speeds. Some of that might be due to my less-than-perfect building skills . I've also found that placing the CG per the plans makes it a little tail heavy. I moved the CG forward 1/2", and that helped a lot, but it seemed like it still could go forward some more. I tried it 1" forward, but crashed before I had it trimmed out and had a chance to fly it much... not because of CG, because of pilot error (I was flying too low, too fast, banking too hard, and the wind flip me over... thunk!)

I revived an old (but unused) .15 bushing Enya engine for my Gnat initially, and it flew OK... kind of underpowered, though, needed to have it leaned out well to even keep it in the air. A good BB .15 should pull it much more comfortably. I now have an OS .25 FX on mine, and it really hauls! With the .15, since I never got much speed, it was more tame, and crashes typically caused only a broken prop and occasionally a broken engine mount. With this last crash with the .25, I was hauling, so I had more damage to repair...
Old 05-09-2005, 04:47 PM
iannorris

Can the Stinger prop-hang? I have tried it with the Typhoon fitted with an O.S.40la and 11x7 prop-not quite enough umph! Maybe a .46fx will do the trick...