Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Decal Paper dilema

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 08:34 AM
3D Flyer
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decal Paper dilema

I just recently bought some decal paper to try to put some
graphics on my newly built SPAD3DT. Well, I was dissapointed. I follwed the directions
that say to print the graphic on the decal paper with your inkjet printer (that went well)
and then spray 3 coats of Krylon spray on it (that went well), and then after it dries you soak it
in water for 45 sec to peel the paper backing off ..... well this is where the problem occurs.
What happens is as soon as you start peeling the decal away from the paper the ink starts to
disolve from the water ..... am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?
Old 02-17-2005, 05:34 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Decal Paper dilema

I just sent you an email. I didn't realize you were having the problem when trying to peel the paper from the decal. I normally place the decal with the backing in place where I want the decal to end up. I then slide the backing out from under the decal and blot it with a dry paper towel. Also be very careful not to bend the decal before application, as that will crack the krylon overcoat, allowing water to penetrate to the ink.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Madd_Maxx

Eagle63_Flyer:

What type of graphics were you going to put on your new spad? I got some new holographic vinyl the other day and thought I would re-do the graphics on the wing on one of my spads with it....didn't turn out to bad I guess. If you are interested in lettering or something like this I can do them for you. I currently have 20 different colors of vinyl....not counting the holographic and chrome vinyl that I have right now.

Went from this:

I still need to do a little more work on the lettering but here it is so far:

Madd_Maxx
Old 04-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Javier-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Hi,

First you should configure your printer to print in "coated paper" mode.

I wait two days after the spray had been applied. Then before put the decal in water i use the heat gun on decals for better results. The nozzle should be at 5" and take care to not expose to much time the decal to heat, usually ten seconds in short passes is enough.

You will find that the ink will no dissolve in water, and the application is easy. clear the surface with alcohol, dry and press the decal with toilette paper. Let dry overnight, and apply a clear coat to protect from fuel, lustrekote works well for up to 10%.

Javier

Old 04-25-2005, 04:41 AM
Ozfly

Decal paper, cool. I've been looking for decal paper and I have yet to find anything. I have been searching for clear decal sheeting tht I can run through the bubble jet printer. Could you tell me who makes the paper and where it may be available.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:36 AM
Javier-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Take a look at http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNH95&P=ML

Javier