Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

IT FLIES!

Old 05-21-2005, 06:49 PM
Jbolt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IT FLIES!

BwwwwwwwwwWAAHAHAHA!

Flight report later..........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32964.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	274481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92462.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	274482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62926.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	274483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11468.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	274484  
Old 05-21-2005, 07:33 PM
DLSmith2

Default RE: IT FLIES!

YEEEEHAAAA!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I knew it would fly! Anything that outrageous looking HAS to fly! I'm thinking camera ship, trainer, combat ship, the only limit is your imagination!

Looking forward to the flight report!

Blue skies,

DL
Old 05-21-2005, 07:37 PM
voyager_663rd

congratulations.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:28 PM
canardlover

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations Jbolt, well done. How did you solve the fuel feed..?..Perry pump or..?? and did you notice any serious twisting of the thin fuse..? Please give us a flight report.......thanks..../Harald
Old 05-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Jbolt

Flight report-

4 tanks of fuel, 6 takeoffs and 2 landings

I have to say the wonderful thing about coro planes is not being worried or nervous about a maiden flight. There is nothing worst than shaking thumbs. I was a bit concerned about pumping fuel that far but the Perry pump worked flawlessly. On the ground the fuel foams at about ¾ throttle which makes air bubbles in the tank but it doesn’t seem to happen in flight. I’m going to add a 1-2 oz header tank near the engine just to be sure.

I fly off a 300’ paved runway and it takes about 200’ to get in the air. Takeoff is smooth and gentle…until you touch the ailerons. The wings rock back and forth pretty violently but it doesn’t snap over. It rocks so far then rocks the other way but it doest it fast. It takes a gentle hand to keep straight and level. Over controlling the sticks will get you in trouble fast though. Elevator response is nice and smooth with no tendencies to pitch up or down. Stalls are gentle and predictable. I did have to add a lot of down trim to keep it from climbing all the time so I need to rethink the wing angles. The rudder is way too big and very sensitive. I think this may be part of the problem with the wing rocking.

The first flight was spent getting used to controlling the ailerons and getting the brain used to a plane that looks like it’s flying backwards! The different colored wings helped a lot. On the first landing attempt I came in too high and too slow. The wind was 10-15mph and it kept ballooning up. I stalled it 6 feet off the deck and nosed it in on the runway. It looked like a hard carrier landing but there was no damage.

The second flight was spent cruising around and trimming. It does not like to fly full throttle, this upsets the rocking the most. The OS 46 is more than enough engine and I spend most of the time cruising below half throttle. I made several landing approaches when the engine loaded up and stalled. This was one of the better landings but out in the high grass.

On the forth flight I stalled it again attempting to land and nosed it in again. This time I bent the sheet metal that holds the rear parts of the fuselage together. The sheet metal I used was very thin to begin with so I wasn’t too surprised. Despite the slight twist in the fuse I flew it two more times and it didn’t seem to make much difference.

By the last flight I was doing low fast circuits around the field and pretty comfortable with the plane. The last 2 landings were better but it needs a lot of speed and runway to land well. You basically have to fly it onto the runway.

I was going to call in the “nARD” but my dad has name it the “Sky Buggy”
Old 05-22-2005, 11:43 PM
FighterBird873

Call it what it is... a 'Daps'. Get it, SPAD backwards. Roll it inverted, you can call it a 'Dgbs'.