Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Immediate wing help please

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Immediate wing help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Chikokishi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Immediate wing help please

I need help with wing design:

The wing is susposed to have a 9 inch chord
the top part of the wing is 10 1/4 inches long
the top is glued to the bottem with a 3/4 inch overlap
a 1/4 dowel in inserted at end of the overlap
the top is scored and bent around the dowel
then the top is folded over a mid spar and susposed to end up at 9 inches aft od the leading edge
but when i add this together 10.25 - the .75 for overlap - the .25 for the dowel - the .25 more for going around the front of the dowel = gives me 9 inches to reach 9 inches across the top of the wing, however i have the arch to consider and thus my wings aft edge falls short of the correct point on the bottom half.

I just used up a whole wing trying to build it to plans, then i noticed this problem. How do i remedy it? just add 2 inches tot he top and then cut off till it fits?

-Fox
Old 06-26-2005, 12:31 AM
lecrote
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Immediate wing help please

Maybe I can help you but I don't understand where the dowel goes in that wing!!!!

As far english is not my first language some times I have to make other people to repeat sorry!!!

Do you have aileron in your wing????
It seem that the dowel goes in the Trailing edges????

So if I understand you don't have enough coro for the top????

you can make a semmitrical wing!!!!

Dan
Old 06-26-2005, 06:39 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Obviously there is a minor error in the plans that nobody has picked up on before. A good technique that I use when building these type wings is to not cut the trailing edge of the coro until I've glued the leading edge, then done a dry fit (no glue) on the trailing edge. Give yourself an extra inch or two to work with. Then mark it at the trailing edge just in front of the aileron hinge. I suspect nobody has seen this problem since the dogfighter is not normally the first plane built.

Good luck
Brad
Old 06-26-2005, 08:02 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Which plans are you using? That would help
Old 06-26-2005, 08:55 AM
ChrisSpad

your only talking about 1/4" or so. Dont worry about it if it doesn't come out exactly 9" to the aileron. It'll only be 1/4" or so short. If your that worried about it, just cut your aileron hinge 1 flute further back.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:18 AM
CraigA

FightingFox,
Not sure which plane you are building...sounds a little like the Dogfighter....which if it is and unless you feel the need for reinforcing the leading edge...the 1/4" dowel is not really necessay for sport flying. Without knowing which plane you are building I do not want to say to eliminate the leading edge dowel if it is needed for structural purposes. Just a thought.
Craig
Old 06-26-2005, 10:51 PM
MrGreenSpeed

A good technique that I use when building these type wings is to not cut the trailing edge of the coro until I've glued the leading edge, then done a dry fit (no glue) on the trailing edge. Give yourself an extra inch or two to work with. Then mark it at the trailing edge just in front of the aileron hinge.
Is a very good tip to remember.
However like Chris said don't worry about the .25" if You've all ready cut the top panel.
Just glue it up and it will work great.
JEff.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:45 PM
Chikokishi

im building the Dogfighter at spadtothebone.com And i tried to jsut glue it, and the way it folds over i have about 1/4 inch of glueing space. And after i let it set and took the weights off, the glue jsut seperated and it flipped open. I remade the wing now (look at my other forum) and i think it will work. i havent lgues yet though

-Fox