Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

ARF Spad

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Horizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ARF Spad

ORIGINAL: Mr Akimoto

Hello Horizon:

You really caught my attention with your snazzy little plane. I sent Frank an email this morning to get more information.

I have a question for you: What are you using for pushrods?

Thanks,

Mr Akimoto
Well 2/56 rod for throttle and elevator, ran out of that and I ran across some 3/16 stainless steel rod, cost me 9 bucks for 25 three foot sticks at a welding supply store. It turned out a little more bendy than the 2/56 but I used a very small zip tie to keep it from bending in the middle worked quite well.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Horizon

ORIGINAL: CCRC1

This is one of FX-Hobbies "Debut" Spad ARF's. With the application of a few decals and a canopy I created a different looking airplane.
Sweet looking plane you have there, not sure if you have tried one of their new style wings but they work great. Ive ran around a half gallon of fuel thru mine so far, and heading to the field here in a few minutes.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

I don't like the throttle servo position right in the exhaust. Move the rudder and elevator back on the fuselage where you will have shorter linkage and then put the throttle servo inside out of harms way. While you are at add another servo and put them in the wing so you don't have the angled linkage. Closing the wing tips is no great deal, rather easy as you can see from this scratch built copy of one of Nick Neville's SPADs. Getting rid of the rubberbands I like. Will do on next one if I can ever wear this one out.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18892.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	308844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78653.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	308845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20248.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	308846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75616.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	308847  
Old 08-11-2005, 08:27 PM
MrGreenSpeed

Great thing about SPADs; be they scratch built or ARF ..So darn easy to modify/experiment with.
Great looking Spad RED
Jeff
Old 08-11-2005, 09:11 PM
SearchMan

Red,
I like your SPAD! What is it capable of doing? Can you hover, knife edge it or do other 3D stuff?
Old 08-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Horizon

Got a few more things from FX, here are some more pics, this is a 50 inch span wing with 5 inch's of dihedral for some lazy flying for my cirus.

Name:	Rp42715.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	309857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15639.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	309858  
Old 08-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Horizon

And here is my easy goer, I have two wings for it a 56 inch flat wing, and a 60 inch with 6 inch's of dihedral. I will be adding equipment here soon and post some build pics. Should have very good Deb quality's im thinking, will be powered by a Super Tiger .40 ringed.

Name:	Zx71425.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	309865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19128.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	309866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71049.jpg
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	309867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27045.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	309868  
Old 08-14-2005, 08:21 AM
Horizon

And here is one that may be on the shelf for a bit, it is a low wing pylon racer called the Tyrant. 48 inch span very close to the same size as the cirus. This one will be powered by a Thunder Tiger .36 pro.

Looks like a handfull!

Name:	Tr51490.jpg
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	309869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23096.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	309870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv52960.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	309871  
Old 08-16-2005, 06:01 AM
Horizon

Here is a few more.

Name:	Sq45876.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	310871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20219.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	310872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31340.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	310873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68593.jpg
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	310874  
Old 08-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Mr Akimoto
Banned

Great looking planes! They're obviously easy on the wallet, since I see that you have a whole squadron of them! I'm now a SPAD convert after talking with Frank at FX Hobbies. I also noticed that Frank does custom work - at least for you.

I have a Duraplane T40 which I love to fly. My wing is getting kind of shabby and I'd like to get a new two-servo one. Do you think Frank would take on a job like this?

Thanks,

Mr Akimoto
Old 08-17-2005, 05:52 AM
Horizon

The dihedral wings were a custom thing, im into arm chair flying sometimes If you look at his website they say, they will build anything. I used to have a duraplane thats why I ended up flying spads, kinda miss that ol lawn dart lol. Here is my take on these planes, I have built a few Spads my garage but they sure did look like a garage plane. And to be honest I was kinda embarrased at the field, mostly from my poor building skills. For around 50 dollars you can have a proffesional built one, little more for a dihedral wing. And these fly much better than anything I built.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Mr Akimoto
Banned

Hello Red Scholefield:

I very much like your airplane. Did you build it yourself or is this an ARF? I have a couple of questions:

1. What engine are you using?

2. I assume you just cut a rectangle in the wing with a utility knife and dropped the servos in? I'm wondering what kind of material is the white rectangle that the servo is screwed to and how is it held to the wing? With just the screws or also some glue? If glue, what kind?

3. Did you have any CG issues with the servos back by the horizontal stabilizer?

Thanks,

Mr Akimoto
Old 08-18-2005, 12:50 PM
Mr Akimoto
Banned

Hello Horizon:

I think for fifty bucks you got a great deal! I don't see how any balsa model offers the slightest bit of competitiion to any of your planes. Undoubtedly many more enterprising individuals will begin offering more innovative and wider selection using the materials and designs of these great planes.

Anyway, I still love my Duraplane T40 which I have over a thousand landings and hundred of hours (unlogged). I'm only into fun, and I hate buildin' and fixin'.

Regards,

Mr Akimoto
Old 08-19-2005, 05:37 AM
Horizon

Ive put almost a gallon thru the cirus, have to say ive enjoyed the dihedral wing alot more. Especially after work, real slow, relaxing flight. The easy goer will maiden tomorrow Ill post some finished photos and a flight report. I believe one of these 48 inch wings would do well on your duraplane 40, mine had some dihedral in it (.25 trainer) but dont remember how much. I am sure you could get just a wing if the rest of your plane is still in good shape.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Mr Akimoto
Banned

Thanks Horizon for the info. What is the chord on the 48" wing?

Mr Akimoto
Old 08-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Horizon

Ten plus aeilerons, they go from 3 inch's at the fuse to two at the wing tips.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Horizon

Flew the easy goer yesterday pretty sweet plane, even gave my 6 year old daughter a little time with the sticks! Have not tried the flat wing yet but that will come later this week. Here are the finish photos, hope to get some at the field also soon.

Name:	Ki20173.jpg
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	313755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83661.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	313756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32746.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	313757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib83033.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	313758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do81863.jpg
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	313759  
Old 09-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Horizon

Crashed my cirus pretty bad check it out here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3348521/tm.htm
Old 09-28-2005, 10:12 PM
koopster

Deadeye,
I am interested in how you enclosed your wingtips. Did you do it like the Spadet, or do you have another method?
Thanks Deadeye. Great looking plane by the way.

Koopster
Old 10-07-2005, 02:17 PM
garch 22
My Feedback: (7)

Hi guys, I'm trying to get my aerobatics down and have stuffed a few nice balsa planes in learning inverted flight, and am looking for something more forgiving and think these spads make a lot of sense. Have considered scratch building a spad but the arf's from fx hobbies are hard to beat it seems. Have been trying to find some info. on the fx. hobbies but can't get to their website, only an e-mail and phone number for them.

Horizon, like your posts of the Debut or Cirus? and have a few basic questions:

- Am quirious about the weight, want something with a reasonable wing loading around 20 oz./ sq. ft. which will allow it to fly slow enough to
stay ahead of it while learning inverted aerobatics. Can you tell me what your Debut weighs, and which engine you are using?

- What kind of airfoil does it come with, semi-symmetrical? Can I assume it flies well inverted?

- I'm unclear about the wingtips,does the airplane come with the enclosed wingtips or did you add them? Is this something that Frank will
provide if requested?

- Know how to get some published info. on the FX Hobbies product line?

I would appreciate any info you can provide and thanks in advance, Joe Gardner
Old 10-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Horizon

ORIGINAL: garch 22

Hi guys, I'm trying to get my aerobatics down and have stuffed a few nice balsa planes in learning inverted flight, and am looking for something more forgiving and think these spads make a lot of sense. Have considered scratch building a spad but the arf's from fx hobbies are hard to beat it seems. Have been trying to find some info. on the fx. hobbies but can't get to their website, only an e-mail and phone number for them.

Horizon, like your posts of the Debut or Cirus? and have a few basic questions:

- Am quirious about the weight, want something with a reasonable wing loading around 20 oz./ sq. ft. which will allow it to fly slow enough to
stay ahead of it while learning inverted aerobatics. Can you tell me what your Debut weighs, and which engine you are using?

- What kind of airfoil does it come with, semi-symmetrical? Can I assume it flies well inverted?

- I'm unclear about the wingtips,does the airplane come with the enclosed wingtips or did you add them? Is this something that Frank will
provide if requested?

- Know how to get some published info. on the FX Hobbies product line?

I would appreciate any info you can provide and thanks in advance, Joe Gardner
I believe its under 4 lbs if I remember right, I run a TT Pro .36 on it but a .40 or .46 would be fine also. I went with the .36 to save weight. The airfoil is semisymetrical and comes with tips enclosed, I have a flat and dihedral wing for every plane I bought from them. Reason is sometimes I like to haul, and sometimes just kick back. The flat wing will fly inverted with no stick imput, the dihedral requires alot of stick. Looks like their website is down, best thing to do is call him directly. I have on the way a duplicate plane as the easy-goer in this thread, but is a low wing. I will post pics of this when I get it probably in the next week or so.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:50 PM
gdenton61

Try this website url:

http://www.phoenixct.com/fxhobbies/html/Airplanes.htm

gdenton61
Old 10-09-2005, 07:51 AM
Horizon

Hey thanks.......
Old 10-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Marlowe
My Feedback: (2)

I have assembled and flown the FX-Bandit from FX-Hobbies. It went together very quickly and it flew very nicely. I felt my OS-40 FX was a bit too much power for it so I ordered a Evolution - 36 for it. Unfortunately I put it into the ground on flight #7 and smashed the poly firewall and the fuselage. Since I have a couple of lengths of white vinyl downspout I have fabricated replacement pieces. The Evo-36 showed up yesterday and it is all going together and should be ready fro flight, whether permitting.

Interesting thing about showing up to our flying field with the Bandit. A created a lot of attention/interest from some of the guys who are ordering their own SPADs from FX. It also stirred some renewed interest in reviving pylon racing with some simple airplanes.

My two pictures are of the Bandit right out of the shipping box and the completed version.

Name:	Sq48222.jpg
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	336725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32926.jpg
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	336726  
Old 10-09-2005, 08:36 PM
Horizon

ORIGINAL: Marlowe

I have assembled and flown the FX-Bandit from FX-Hobbies. It went together very quickly and it flew very nicely. I felt my OS-40 FX was a bit too much power for it so I ordered a Evolution - 36 for it. Unfortunately I put it into the ground on flight #7 and smashed the poly firewall and the fuselage. Since I have a couple of lengths of white vinyl downspout I have fabricated replacement pieces. The Evo-36 showed up yesterday and it is all going together and should be ready fro flight, whether permitting.

Interesting thing about showing up to our flying field with the Bandit. A created a lot of attention/interest from some of the guys who are ordering their own SPADs from FX. It also stirred some renewed interest in reviving pylon racing with some simple airplanes.

My two pictures are of the Bandit right out of the shipping box and the completed version.
Your really gonna like it with a .36. Mine hauls big time, and the TT .36 pro I use is only one ounce heavier than a LA .25, and rated hp is the same as most .40's. If you look in this thread at the Tyrant, that would be a terrific pylon racer. By the way I love the looks of that Bandit, very stick like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.