Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

ARF Spad

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 10:45 PM
garch 22
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ARF Spad

Horizon and Gdenton, thanks for your replies and website address for fx hobbies. Went there and found more details on their product line. One other question I have is how tough are these things? I am primarily looking for something that flies decently and is easily repairable. I know nothing is indestructable, and assume the wing is the weakest part of the airframe. Can they be repaired if bent or do you just buy another one? Am looking at ordering the cirus fuse with the 56 inch wing and using a TT.46 with standard servos. Think the bigger wing would bring the wing loading down under 20 oz./sf if your 4 pound dry weight is correct. Thanks, Joe
Old 10-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Horizon

My cirus took a flight into the woods, you can see the pics in the crash section. Broke the firewall, prop, and tore the wing in half. Everything else was fine They are very repairable even if you break the spar. Duct tape backed up with ca glue works well to repair the wings. I think a 56 inch wing on the cirus is a bit over kill, I would get the standard wing with it also so you have options at the field. I always get funny looks when I unload two planes and 4 wings
Old 10-11-2005, 11:36 AM
garch 22
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks Horizon, want the longer wing to reduce the wing loading, so maybe I'll just go with the e-z flyer and a flat 56 inch wing. Think this will come in at 4 lbs with a TT. 46, 4 standard servos and 4.8v 600 mah nicad?
Thanks, Joe
Old 10-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Horizon

ORIGINAL: garch 22

Thanks Horizon, want the longer wing to reduce the wing loading, so maybe I'll just go with the e-z flyer and a flat 56 inch wing. Think this will come in at 4 lbs with a TT. 46, 4 standard servos and 4.8v 600 mah nicad?
Thanks, Joe
No I believe the easy goer is just over 4 lbs without equipment. If you are looking for a light easy flying plane, order up a cirus or a bandit with the 48 inch dihedral wing your gonna love it, and they keep the dihedral wing in stock now. And order a 56 inch flat wing to go with it also. With the 56 it will be slow and easy to fly, and with the 48 you will be able to tear the sky's up but with control cause of the dihedral. I have three different models of theirs and its my favorite.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:57 PM
fxhobbies

ARF FLYERS,
Thanks for all the great comments regarding our FX-Planes. They are much appreciated. At the present time, we're working on our web site to make it more informative about our planes. We appreciate your patience with us. If you do need to reach us, contact us through our email address: [email protected] , or for a quicker response, please give us a call at 501-984-5826. This past week, we have weighed some of the planes that we have and according to our scale, here is what the planes weigh, including landing gear, before any equipment is added.

FX-FIRE FLY 34" W/S = 1 lb., 6 oz. ... Combat plane - no gear.
FX-TYRANT 48" W/S = 2 lbs., 6 oz.
FX-CIRRUS 48" W/S = 2 lbs., 3 oz.
FX-EASY GOER 56" W/S = 3 lbs., 3 oz.
FX-BANDIT 48" W/S = 2 lbs., 5 oz.
FX-B.U.F.F. STIK 80" W/S = 4 lbs., 2 oz.

**Note** Add about 2 - 3 oz. if the plane has a dihedral wing ... the FX-B.U.F.F. STIK 80" W/S does not have the dihedral option.

Here's a couple pictures of our FX-FIRE FLYs that we'll be adding to our web site shortly. The FX-FIRE FLY is a combat plane and has a 34" W/S, a 24" fuselage, and takes a size .15 or .25 engine.

Thanks for all your support,
Mr. FX
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67286.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	337800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39455.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	337801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98039.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	337802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc85840.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	337803  
Old 10-12-2005, 06:06 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Hey FXHobbies, welcome to the site. Glad to see you here
I just wanted to give everybody an update of my Tyrant. Got about 20 flights on it now and the Super Tigre .51 is breaking in and getting happy. This airplane is nothing but fun!!!!
This is my favorite out of all of the Spads I have gotton from FX and I just ordered a black one as a backup.
My club just ordered about 20 assorted Spads from FX Hobbies to do a club Spad build at our November meeting. Once we have the airplanes all assembled, we will create a fun fly event around them.
My Tyrant-[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81438.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	338133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89367.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	338134  
Old 10-13-2005, 05:25 AM
Horizon

I dont know how you cant keep your eye on that thing with a .51
Old 10-20-2005, 02:22 PM
fixeruper

my spad is a fxhobbies tyrant
I have a .48 msd and its off the ground in about 10 feet.
The only problem I have is ground control but that might be me.
it will fly inverted, go vertical untill you can hardly see it.
great plane, I have about 20 flights on it so far and about 3 cart wheels with no damage!
Brad
Old 10-20-2005, 03:27 PM
CCRC1

Fixeruper,
The location of the landing gear is important. If the wheels sit to far forward, it will ground loop and handle very poorly on the ground. I know, I went through this with my FX Hobbies Debut. I cussed a blue streak at that airplane until I figued it out. On my Tyrant the wheels sit slightly to the rear of the leading edge of the wing. I can run the Tyrant around the runway better that an R/C Car! I will put mine up on the bench tonight and get you an exact measurement where the axle sits in relationship to the leading edge of the wing.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:04 PM
CCRC1

Fixeruper,
My Tyrant has the the landing set up so the wheel axle is 1" behind the leading edge of the wing. If yours is forward of this location, that may be your problem. If it is to far forward it will also have a tendency to want to bounce down the runway during landings. I experienced that with my FX Debut until I moved the gear rearward.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:51 PM
Mitty

ORIGINAL: Horizon

I work 65 to 75 hours a week and have little time to build,
@ NISAN,arent ya?
Old 10-22-2005, 07:42 AM
Horizon

Not much else to do around here is there?

LOL
Old 10-22-2005, 07:44 AM
Horizon

I have found that taking off gradually with up elevator till you get to a good speed keeps these planes tracking well. If you slam on the gas you just do some 360's.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:11 AM
CCRC1

That was also a problem with mine until I got the gear in the right place. I found on both the Debut and the Tyrant the gear worked far better sitting back farther than you would expect. I can shoot touch and go's and run the whole length of the runway on the deck and take back off now with no problems at all. Before, with the gear forward, it had a bad habit of bouncing, and wanting to stick the prop in the dirt on both take off and landings.
One other minor problem I found also was that the engine on my Tyrant had about 2 degrees upthrust in it. When the firewall was machined it created this offset and on landing it would balloon with just the slightest increase in throttle. A couple of washers behind the engine mount and that problem disappeared.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Horizon

Yah I put down thrust in all mine also.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:49 PM
layback2
My Feedback: (12)

Has anyone used a nose gear on any of these planes yet just mite work hate tail draggers lol lol lol hehehehe
Old 10-23-2005, 04:56 PM
CCRC1

I wouldn't want to add the extra weight to the airplane.

Anyhow you don't need no stinkin training wheel up front!
Old 10-23-2005, 05:06 PM
layback2

Well CCRC1
A matter of fact Iam building one right now that needs that stinking training wheel no way am i letting the run way mess up a one of a kind plane
Old 10-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Horizon

I think the easy goer would be a great choice for a nose wheel. Its a big easy slow plane to begin with, and the extra gear would not add that much.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:12 PM
layback2

I just had a great talk and ordered a FX-EASY GOER from FXHobbies good person to talk to frank ask about the B.U.F.F stick cant wait to hear more on this plane sounds like a cool fun flyer long wing span 80 inch so is that a glider hehehehe just kidding and yes i am going to add training wheels to my EASY GOER LOLLOL our run Way is ruff hard on a tail dragger and no were to take off from grass so front wheel it is.[>:]
Old 10-24-2005, 03:49 PM
Mitty

ORIGINAL: Horizon

Not much else to do around here is there?

LOL
Hehe..My friend works @ NISSAN plant in Canton,MS. He went in Smyrna for training for a while.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Horizon

ORIGINAL: layback2

I just had a great talk and ordered a FX-EASY GOER from FXHobbies good person to talk to frank ask about the B.U.F.F stick cant wait to hear more on this plane sounds like a cool fun flyer long wing span 80 inch so is that a glider hehehehe just kidding and yes i am going to add training wheels to my EASY GOER LOLLOL our run Way is ruff hard on a tail dragger and no were to take off from grass so front wheel it is.[>:]
Well any review yet? That easy goer is a sweet plane!

I will be posting a review on a experimental plane from FX. It is a idea that I had, and Frank was nice enough to build it for me. It is a Easy Goer but a low wing, and a longer fuse, going to be called the FX-Star he said.

Will post some pics when I get it.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:34 PM
smokingwreckage

What will the BUFF need for power?
Old 01-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Why did the thread just die in October? Anyone fly the Buff?? I see they are now selling them on ebay, and the link abouve for the website isnt working...

[link=http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZfxhobbiesQQhtZ-1]FXHobbies[/link]
Old 01-31-2006, 10:38 PM
live2rider

Hello dose any one know where one could get plans for the Tyrant? Or is it just a Fx-Hobbies plane, Is it alot like the Demon? I really like the looks of it and I bet it flies nice .Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.