Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Smokin USS

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 10:14 PM
flybug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Smokin USS

Gravityisnotmyfriend, thanks for the tip. I am planning on a .46 in the spadet. Guess I will take your advise and just wait on the smoke for a bigger plane[]
Old 05-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

flybug,

If you ever get ambitious, and build a [link=http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/ultraspadstick/]USS [/link] or [link=http://spadworld.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4444&sid=7c3accd07e5c77b6a8a91883b3016a2d]Chris' 25cc UStick[/link], you can find Ryobi engines on ebay brand new, for less than what you would pay for a O.S. .46AX. I bought mine for around $100.00 and it was already converted. It was a factory reconditioned one, but it must have had very little time on it prior to reconditioning, because it is still breaking in. If you like tinkering and want to convert it yourself, check out [link=http://www.wackerengines.com/]wackerengines.com[/link] they sell all you need to convert one.

A friend gave me a Ryboi a few days ago that had very little time on it, before the shaft broke. Check this out, a week earlier I had a different friend over with his son showing them my weed wacker plane (USS), and he said I have a Ryobi weed eater you can have, since I'm going to get a new weedeater this year. CAN ANYONE SAY TWIN!!

Later,
Omaha
Old 05-01-2006, 08:16 AM
flybug

Good point there Omaha_RC_Flyer I'll have to build one of these birds... it is definately on my to-do list I will hunt the bay for these ryobi engines.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:11 AM
cpki

LOOK...simplest set up for a small plane all you need is a estes model starter thingy (igniter) and a extra channel with a battery and a switch..heck you could even hook up two!!! http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFT71&P=7
Old 08-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Stubshaft

I also remember running pressure from the crankcase to the tank. But this looks like a great setup.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:54 AM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

Here are a few pictures of the my USS at Spadfest 07 pouring the smoke on.

Later,
Omaha

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32944.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	712818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20584.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	712819  
Old 07-12-2007, 10:09 AM
coolbean

@#$%@%&@#$%^@#^@^@%^#$%&@^@$%^@@#^@#$^WE$%^@$%^$%^@$%^@........
As if I didn't have enough to worry about on the spad spitfire... now I've got to add a smoke pump... Thanks a lot Omaha, if your USS didn't look so good with the smoke pouring out of it, I wouldn't be in this situation...
Old 07-17-2007, 06:26 PM
3g_kite

tele ho!

Since I am from Slovenia (Europe) and we do not have such fancy packed smoking oils around here, and i am just about to install some smokewriter to my Giles 202 with 26ccm MVVS gas engine - what would be the best fluid to try smokin? I have read some threads about using Diesel Gasoline and such, but i found that bit dangerous (or not?)?

Omaha - great thread, and cool effects with your plane!!

Best regards from the sunny side of the Alps!

3g
Old 07-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

3g,

Here are some links that might help you decide what to use. If I can find the others links in my bookmarks, I'll post them as well.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=455

http://soldcentralfl.com/flyingpenguin/smoke.htm

Later,
Omaha
Old 07-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You MIGHT want to rethink the smoke system Bean, let Mike show you a picture of his Horizontal.

Some strange reason, the smoke oil he uses messes with the Coroplast.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

ORIGINAL: Clean

You MIGHT want to rethink the smoke system Bean, let Mike show you a picture of his Horizontal.

Some strange reason, the smoke oil he uses messes with the Coroplast.

He is right, there is something in the Super-Dri oil, that distorts and warps the coro. I'm going to try an replace the Stab on my USS with white coro, and see if it has the same effect. If it does, then I need to start looking for a good smoke oil recipe, that will not distort the coro.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35259.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	725284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95811.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	725285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56940.jpg
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	725286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo38078.jpg
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	725287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep85504.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	725288  
Old 07-19-2007, 09:39 AM
coolbean

Yeah..... ok... no smoke...
Old 03-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Johnny C!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Omaha!

Johnny C!

I think I might know somebody that
has a low time Homelite 25 that runs
real good for sale...

Let me know...
Old 03-25-2008, 01:16 PM
mustangman177

If you use crankcase pressure to pump smoke from the tank to the muffler, where would you "Tap" into a Ryobi 31 engine for this ?

Would this be as effective in providing smoke to the muffler than a pump would ? This would also do away with the battery pack needed to run the pump-a large savings on weight.

What kind of "On-Off" switch would this system have, since there is not pump to turn on and off ?
*Found this answer from MinnFlyer's article "Got Smoke ?" Where it says it requires an extra servo to actuate a valve.

Would like to hear from anyone using this method.

Thanks

Cary

Old 03-27-2008, 11:09 AM
mustangman177

Update !!!

After researching and reading "More Smoke! I Wand To Die!" by the flyingpenguin (Thanks Omaha RC Flyer for the link), I've decided to go the pumped smoke route instead of tapping the crankcase of the engine. Not that crankcase pressure wouldn't work, For my first attempt at this I want to go with a true an tried version.

Drilled and JB welded a 1/8" copper tube to the exhaust port of the Ryobi 31 engine I'm using in my USS. Positioned the end of the copper tube so that the smoke oil will exit where the exhaust exits the engine (Hottest area ?).

Looking at using a windshield washer pump from Autozone. The one I'm looking at (On internet) doesn't say if it is self priming or not. Called the
store and they didn't know either. Cost around $17.99. Have to read the instructions with the pump to find out I guess.

What micro-switch are you using to activate the pump ? RadioShack's web site didn't show one like in your picture Omaha RC Flyer. Could you tell me where your's came from ?

Would Dubro's Kwik Fuel fuel pump that is rated for both gas and glow fuels be safe to transfer smoke oil into the tank from the container ?

Manufacturer Stock#

Can't wait to get it all together to test and fly.

Thanks

Cary
Old 03-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

ORIGINAL: mustangman177

Update !!!

After researching and reading "More Smoke! I Wand To Die!" by the flyingpenguin (Thanks Omaha RC Flyer for the link), I've decided to go the pumped smoke route instead of tapping the crankcase of the engine. Not that crankcase pressure wouldn't work, For my first attempt at this I want to go with a true an tried version.

Drilled and JB welded a 1/8" copper tube to the exhaust port of the Ryobi 31 engine I'm using in my USS. Positioned the end of the copper tube so that the smoke oil will exit where the exhaust exits the engine (Hottest area ?).

Looking at using a windshield washer pump from Autozone. The one I'm looking at (On internet) doesn't say if it is self priming or not. Called the
store and they didn't know either. Cost around $17.99. Have to read the instructions with the pump to find out I guess.

What micro-switch are you using to activate the pump ? RadioShack's web site didn't show one like in your picture Omaha RC Flyer. Could you tell me where your's came from ?

Would Dubro's Kwik Fuel fuel pump that is rated for both gas and glow fuels be safe to transfer smoke oil into the tank from the container ?

Manufacturer Stock#

Can't wait to get it all together to test and fly.

Thanks

Cary

The Micro Switch came from Radio Shack.

Most of the universal windshield washer pumps which mount on the outside of the washer fluid reservoir are self-priming. Typically they replace the factory in-tank pump, when it goes bad. The factory ones are mounted in the bottom of the washer fluid reservoir, which does not need to be self-priming.

The [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJGS5&P=SM]Dubro Kwik Fill Fuel Pump [/link], will probably work fine. Just remember that smoke oil is a lot more viscous than Glow fuel or Gas, so when you pump with it, don't do it too fast, I ruined one hand pump using Smoke oil, by pumping to fast with it.

Make sure to use a [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD755&P=M]gas stopper[/link] in your smoke oil tank.

Later,
Omaha
Old 03-28-2008, 08:29 AM
mustangman177

Thanks Omaha for the reply,

Do have a gas stopper I will use in the tank with petroleum friendly pick up lines.

Will go to radio shack and inquire about the micro-switch. Possibly taking in a picture of the switch will help.

Will pick up the pump tonight after work.. I thought aftermarket pumps should be self priming, but I came across some that said they were not self-priming. These must go back into the original washer tank. Will post pictures of the "Smoke" in action when completed.

Cary
Old 03-31-2008, 08:42 AM
mustangman177

WOW !! Do we have SMOKE !!!

Got the system put together this weekend, used combination of diesel and automatic transmission fluid for smoke (Guessed at the amounts) 75% diesel to 25% transmission fluid and it worked great. Can't wait for some good weather to fly and try it out. Yesterday was a windy day and the smoke looked impressive as it left the plane.

The first tank of smoke I put through it, I didn't use a valve to adjust the flow into the muffler and it went through quite fast. On the second tank, I made the valve described my Minnflyer and the flow was slower, with still good smoke.

Thanks for all the GOOD information on putting this system together. It is sure to be a crowd pleaser next time atthe field !!

Cary
Old 03-31-2008, 12:39 PM
coolbean

Seen any issues with the coro warping with that mix?
Old 03-31-2008, 02:43 PM
mustangman177

I haven't yet....Has this been an issue in the past ?

Omaha RC Flyer stated that Super dry oil produced some warping on one of his planes, Not sure about diesel and transmission fluid.

Cary
Old 07-21-2012, 10:21 PM
rc guy1

How much does a simple smoke system weigh? .....roughly
thankyou.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:54 AM
adrian222
My Feedback: (1)

Diesel wont be good either I suspect it will warp your corro I been thinking baby oil maybe.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:51 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Is there a limit to the length of the output tube similar to the way an exhaust extension limits power of your engine?  Could you not just run the tube out the rear of the plane so it doesn't even hit the plane?  Just curious, another one of my ignorant questions having never run a smoke system before.