Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Spad bipe... Trainer???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spad bipe... Trainer???

Hello, I am a novice R/C'er and am just learning about these SPAD's I have looked over www.spadtothebone.com and read through a lot of the plans. However I did not see any Biplanes. I have a World Models Ultimate 40's sport bipe and don't feel that I am ready for it. With the cost of SPAD's and rebuild-ability I would be very interested in a SPAD bipe trainer if there is such a thing. I have a fair working knowledge of aerodynamics and fabrication so construction will not be a problem I could probably design something functional. But I want to know if there is already something out there that I can get plans for. Anyone know? Thanks in advance. BTW I would like for it to be a .40 size and adaptable for later use in combat.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:52 PM
upnflyin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spad bipe... Trainer???

I did a search on spad forum page and came up with three pages of different bipes. Type bipe in search brought 107 hits.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:44 PM
acam37
My Feedback: (16)

I've been building spads for 4 years and have yet tried to build a bipe. For starters, they are a bit on the heavy side and require a big engine, and getting the incidence right is another thing. I do have a 90 size Ultimate and can honestly say, it's not a beginner plane. If you really want to build a spad I suggest a debonair. Many will agree that is one of the easiest spads to build and fly. I've even seen a biplane version somewhere in this forum.

I have noticed that most people (including myself) want a cool looking plane to start off with, and learn the hard way that the warbirds and aerobatic planes are not a good first choice. After you tear up a few and several hundred dollars later you finally wind up wishing you had taken the advice of the old-timers at the field and started off with the ugly ol' trainer. Good luck
Old 05-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Spadinator

[link=http://spadfest.rcspads.com/displayimage.php?album=47&pos=85]HERE[/link] is the plans for the Bipe I built. It is callet the Hot Canary and I had a blast with it.

These links also talk of the Canary....
[link=http://spadworld.net/archive/viewtopic.php?t=7825&highlight=canary]My Canary[/link]
[link=http://spadworld.net/archive/viewtopic.php?t=5363&highlight=canary]Another Canary[/link]
Old 05-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Mr67Stang

I have read through your plans and it seems none to difficult. but it does not state what engine size you went with. will a os.46 bb engine fly this? How well does it fly? would you put your buddy on it that has only flown high wing trainers and a 76 inch span piper cub? (bigger = easier) I have saved your plans and will probably try it anyway as it is not a lot of money to crash but would like to get your opinion on the above questions. Thanks
Old 05-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Spadinator

Well....the original designer of the Spad Canary ...Quicker said that it flies like a Bipe.....meaning it doesn't glide as well as a single wing and lands at a higher speed. My mini canary woudl have flown witha .25 but i stuffed a .40 in it....you can never have too much power!!! A 46 will fly it just fine if the original plan is followed. I down sized mine just for giggles to see what it would do. Hook up all four ailerons for lightning quick rolls or only use two for gentle ones. The plane does require more attention to fly that a cub......but if you can fly a sport plane you can fly this bipe.....also they are SPADS so they bounce, cartwheel, and slide on their tops with little or no damage!!!
Old 05-10-2006, 05:51 AM
jamesg25

you know what would be awsome?
You take your ultimate biplane out of the box and clone it using spad materials, you have all the dimensions at your finger tips, i bet it would be pretty fun, in fact now that i have the idea, maybe i'll try it!!!
good luck
Old 05-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Deadeye

Did somebody say Ultimate?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He96996.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	459178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85510.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	459179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55148.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	459180  
Old 05-12-2006, 03:05 PM
flybug

Deadeye, that's a nice model there...where are the plans for that one?
Old 05-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: flybug

Deadeye, that's a nice model there...where are the plans for that one?
In my head. But, it's based off the Cor-Star 60, which you can find [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1201120/anchors_1201120/mpage_1/key_cor%252Cstar%252Cplans/anchor/tm.htm#1201120]here.[/link] Also, I have a thread with some questions/answers and pictures of the bipe [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1832636/anchors_1832636/mpage_1/key_cor%252Cstar%252Cplans/anchor/tm.htm#1832636]here.[/link]