Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Finally, success in my search for the holy grail

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Finally, success in my search for the holy grail

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally, success in my search for the holy grail

My quest started over a year ago in the search for the holy grail. Up until last week, my search had been fruitless. I was given countless tips where this grail might lie, but all trails were dead ends, I was left with nothing. I was beginning to wonder if it even existed. I had seen pictures of it, but up until a few months ago I had never seen it in real life. I was given a small piece of it from a member of my club and my interest, which had nearly dwindled to nothing by this point, once again was focused on my quest for the grail. I was visiting a city 70 miles north of where I live and where I had searched earlier. All the other places had nothing and the custodians of theses places looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for information on it. I spotted a place that I had not looked before. I went inside and asked for the grail again. This time I was not looked at like I was crazy. Instead, the guy I talked to knew what I was looking for and sent me a few miles down the road. He said that he knew the grail was there earlier, but was unsure if it still resided there. Following the guy's direction, I found the place of where he spoke. I stepped inside and expected to find nothing as always, but the quest must continue. I found the section of this place where the grail would likely be found. There were the usual imitations, but not the grail. I turned to leave and was stopped in my tracks. Staring me right in the face was the grail. I was speechless, I didn't know what to do. I looked closer at the label and sure enough there was the code "RW200".I stepped back and took in the sight. An entire wall of Raingo Gutterpipe! I feared that since all my previous attempts had been thwarted that something might happen if I didn't act quickly. I grabbed the nearest 10' piece and almost ran to the checkout stand. The girl behind the counter must have wondered why I was grinning from ear to ear and I happily gave her the $10 for my treasure. As a sick twist of fate, I have been too busy preparing for graduation to be able to do anything with this gutterpipe. But next week I'm building something.

PS - it was at a Tru-Value Hardware store in Madison, WI.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:50 PM
upnflyin

Default RE: Finally, success in my search for the holy grail

Loved your post. I sort of had an idea this was leading up to gutter pipe but your writing was great.
later
upnflyin
Old 05-11-2006, 12:05 AM
smokingwreckage

A gutterpipe by any other name would smell as sweet.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

ROTFLMAO![sm=lol.gif] Glad you finally got your hands on some. Now get busy building some planes for Spadfest!

Later,
Omaha
Old 05-11-2006, 11:47 AM
flybug

Well gratz on the discovery, is that why you changed your signature or because you are now sobber?
Old 05-11-2006, 11:24 PM
scooty

Hey I know that very store you're talking about in madison !!. I used to live in an apartment building right next to it. I could walk out my porch into the store get some gutter pipe and be back in less time it takes CA to dry. Dorn tru value on Midvale next to the belt line right ? I've since moved to IL and to date that's the only store I know that sells gutter pipe. small world.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

Scooty,
It is a Dorn True Value, but I don't think its the one you're talking about. This one is actually in Sun Praire on Windsor Rd.
FLybug,
I just thought it was time for a sig line change, but all that running around looking for gutterpipe could lead a guy to drinking. The quote doesn't apply to me all the well any more because I graduate college tomorrow and start an engineering job in June, so I won't be nearly so impoverished.
Omaha,
I just got the news that I did get the job I told you about before, so I'll have the funds to go the SF. The best news is that the job doesn't start until June 19th. I couldn't have planned that better if I tried.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:01 PM
flybug

ORIGINAL: Gravityisnotmyfriend
FLybug,
I just thought it was time for a sig line change, but all that running around looking for gutterpipe could lead a guy to drinking. The quote doesn't apply to me all the well any more because I graduate college tomorrow and start an engineering job in June, so I won't be nearly so impoverished.
Congratz on the job!
Old 05-12-2006, 06:03 PM
smokingwreckage

Wow, I love it when two plans come together. I hope your job is all you hope it will be, and have fun at SPADfest.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:53 AM
smwalter
My Feedback: (1)

This is the holy grail? I was able to purchase RW200 by ordering it through my local "Do It Best" center in Fishers IN. I took it home but it looks and feels really heavy. I was under the impression that there was another type of gutter that was lighter than this. Could someone confirm that this is gutter that people have been discussing? Or confirm that something lighter does exist?

I'm using the RW200 for a GNAT and HOR parts - but haven't attempted to build a fuselage from it yet.

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

It sounds like you have the 2 1/2" American Downspout. The Canadian version has a thinner wall thickness and is a little smaller in diameter 2 3/8", thus making it lighter. I have both types, and the Canadian pipe is considerably lighter. You may need to lighten it, buy drilling out holes along the fuse [link=http://home.comcast.net/%7Etipstrickslinks/tip_pvc_gutter_pipe.htm]like this[/link] called "Swiss Cheesing"
Later,
Omaha
Old 05-13-2006, 10:11 AM
SST

There is also a 3" corrugated pipe that has a very thin wall. I found it at a Menard's store. Looks a lot like standard aluminum downspout.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:44 AM
xray328
My Feedback: (1)

I couldn't believe the difference in the weight of the American versus Candian stuff. The American is WAY heavier. I had been using the canadian stuff for all of my planes but I 'm doing a DPS now that asks for the American. When i picked up the piece I was like [sm=eek.gif]. I can only imagine having to toss this thing. I'll find out soon enough I guess.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:07 AM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

ORIGINAL: Omaha_RC_Flyer

ROTFLMAO![sm=lol.gif] Glad you finally got your hands on some. Now get busy building some planes for Spadfest!

Later,
Omaha
I haven't had alot of time to build, but here's what I got done tonight. Can you guess what I'm bringing to SpadFest?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64570.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	462211  
Old 05-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

Some Bud or Busch Light!

Later,
Omaha
Old 05-16-2006, 06:58 AM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

Actually, I'm a Miller guy. I pretty much have to be since I'm from WI. I only used the Busch signs because they were pretty cheap (free).
Old 05-16-2006, 09:10 AM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

Since we settled what beer you are bringing,the plane looks like a DPS. Is that correct?

I know what else you will have at Spadfest, but I'm not telling.

Later,
Omaha
Old 05-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

Yep, its a DPS. I thought with your DPS experience you'd recognize it. This was my first attempt at a RNAF wing and I think it came out pretty well. There a little wave on part of the leading edge, but it'll fly. I pretty much built it straight off STTB, but I put dual aileron servos since I didn't want to deal with threading the rubberbands through the aileron pushrods, mounted the engine on its side to keep some of the gunk off the servos, and made it a tail dragger since I mostly fly off grass. I'm hoping to get a test flight on it this afternoon, but it looks like it's gonna be pretty windy. I got her all finished yesterday - here's some pics.

As far as the other plane, I just have to decide which of my balsa planes get to have its guts ripped out a donated since I put my last free servos in the DPS.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25204.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	462860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13371.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	462861