Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

DuraStick

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 02:03 AM
Pilots12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DuraStick

So I just finished building my DuraPlane DuraStick, and plane to have its first flight this weekend. I've been reading about it and learned that its a bit heavy, and lands at higher speeds. So the main thing I'm looking for is someone who has flown one to give me there thoughts on it, and how it flies. Does the landing speed make it that much harder?
Old 07-13-2006, 07:36 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: DuraStick

No, it just makes it land and takeoff faster. You must also have enough power to get it up to that speed. Do you fly now? Did you need a new airplane to work yourself over those 'I just SOLO'd and now I'm dangerous' blues? Durastick is about the only thing that takes more abuse than a SPAD and that's only because of the wing being solid foam. That's also the reason it doesn't fly as well. You can build a SPAD RNAF type wing the same dimensions as the Duraplane wing and just use it instead and the plane will fly slower as it will be lighter. You might have to move the wing fore or aft to get the CG the same but you can use the fuse with no problems.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Pilots12

I'm not looking into building a SPAD yet, going to stay with what I just finished putting togeather. This will be my 3rd plane, i had an Alpha trainer and a NexStar, so this is the first non-trainer I'll be flying. Just lost the NexStar 2 weeks ago when the aileron feel off in flight and went into a spin.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:40 PM
BANJOAIRPLANE

If you flew the Nexstar with all the stuff removed and the throws cranked up a bit,you're ready.I was given a DuraPlane and actually enjoyed flying it.I trained a couple of friends on it with a buddy box.I still got it.It has taken several bad spills and still flew within minutes of the mishaps,lol.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Pilots12

I just weighed the duraplane and figured out it has a 21oz/sq ft wing loading. Thats the same as the NexStar. So with that same wing loading, shouldnt the landing speeds be about the same?
Old 07-14-2006, 04:47 AM
BANJOAIRPLANE

I ain't sure but I believe the Nextstar was a lot lighter wing loading that that.I know the Nexstar would slow down to a crawl to land if you wanted it to.My Duraplane wouldn't.When the power was cut on the Duraplane it drops pretty quick!Still a ton of fun though and very predictable glide path.Don't be afraid to find someone to help you on your first flight or two if you are uncomfortable.There is nothing wrong with that.Good luck!
Old 07-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Clean

I would think the Nexstar would be around 12 not 21.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:30 PM
MrGreenSpeed

hobbico page says it's 21 which doesn't sound right for a trainer.
No wonder Spads fly better

NexSTAR ARF SPECIFICATIONS
Stock Number: HCAA2025
Wingspan: 69 in (1745 mm)
Wing Area: 722 sq in (46 dm2)
Weight: 5.5 lb (2500 g)
Wing Loading: 21 oz/sq ft (62 g/dm2)
Length: 56 in (1420 mm)
Requires: .46 cu in (7.5 cc) engine, 4-channel radio w/4 servo
Old 07-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Clean

Well heck 5.5 pounds at 16 ounces per pound is 88 ounces divided by 722 sq inches is .12188 times 144 sq in/ sq ft = 17.5 ounces per sq foot by their own website, not my fault they can't run a calculater.

And my bad earlier, 12 would be a little high for a CL stunter.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:33 AM
smokingwreckage

Odd thing about the Durastik is when you roll with ailerons, the wing rolls, then a while later the tail rolls. Doesn't seem to affect the decent flight characteristics, just a bit unnerving the first time you notice it.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:35 PM
cochinito77

i had a duraplane for my first plane and i loooved the snot out of it... hitec gear and TT .46 it had more than enough engine on it to do whatever...
i should have never sold it. so far it has been the most enjoyable plane i've ever flown. since then ive had a piper cub clipped wing .40, a chinese .60 P-51 and a yak. and the duraplane by far was the best! it can take the beginner blues of landing and the im feeling itchy for some manuevers blues as well and recover with a little epoxy like it was new. just make sure yu secure the wing with a few extra rubber bands....
Raf-
Old 07-15-2006, 06:31 PM
kbear

Just make your aproaches a little farther out. After you get her trimmed fly a few for practice. you will want to know were to start in the event you have trouble later in the flight. after that cut loose and have fun.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Pilots12

Well did the first flight today and it went great! temp was 103F, really hot day. Started up the engine and made it a little rich for the heat. Did some high speed taxi test up and down the 700ft paved runway we have at the club. Brought her back to top off the tank, and set out for the first take off. I slowly applied power to about 75%, then went all the way. Stayed on the ground untill she lifted off herself and was up and away! It flies WAY better than the 2 trainers I've had before, it goes right where you point it. I climbed to about 100ft and flew downwind to start some touch n goes. First one was a littlem fast but it greased the landing! did about 5 on this flight, greased everyone but the last. A gust of wind came up right as I was about to touch down. it pushed the right wing down and the plan hit on just the main right gear pretty hard pulling the landing gear screw out. She bounced about 5 ft and i noticed the gear wasnt on straght, so i killed the throttle and slowed her down untill she stalled about 1ft over the runway. After a quick 5min expoxy fix, I was back up doing more touch n goes. This is a great flying plane! I would recomend it to anyone who has basic trainer experiance. I'll be having alot of fun with this plane for sure.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:33 AM
cochinito77

Good on ya! we eventually made ours to tail draggers witch made it easier to land IMHO...
one guy kept breaking the nose gear but as a tail dragger he was unstopable, now thats all he flies. enjoy bro-
Raf
Old 07-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Pilots12

Taildraggers are easier? Wouldn't of thought of that. I am going to turn this into a tail dragger soon. Want to practice on this before I get the Space Walker. Whats the best way to add a tail wheel?
Old 07-16-2006, 12:52 PM
MrGreenSpeed

ChrisSpads tail skid.

I use bicycle spokes for skids, You can just bend it and add a tail wheel if You want to.
Jeff
Old 07-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Pilots12

ok, so just make something thats straight and doesn't conect to the rudder. Or would it be better to have a tail wheel that turns? And could this mess the rudder up if its hits to hard with a bad landing?
Old 07-16-2006, 02:38 PM
cochinito77

what we did was fisrt make a hole with your dandy drill under the rudder through the elevator, then bend a piece o wire to a " [ " type of shape theres a tailwheel assembly that tower or your local hobby shop you can definately use that. attatch one piece to the rudder clamp it the through the elevator, the n out the bootom to the wheel. then put a wheel on, move the landing gear fwd so thet the LE is even with the axles and enjoy... it might be squirly at first but youll learn. just make sure you give yourself as much rudder span as you can. youll need it.
Raf-
Old 07-16-2006, 07:49 PM
kbear

If you can bend the main gear a little so that the wheels point inward a the front (this is called toe in) It will help keep you strait on your takeoff run. It doesn't take much. There is more about this and why it works on the SPAD home page under the tips section.