Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Help buying Coroplast

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 09:28 PM
rinoldi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help buying Coroplast

Hi, I'm very interested in building my first Spad plane however I have no idea about where or how to buy Coroplast. I want to build the Debonair, but actually I have no idea on the size of coroplast sheets that I need, or how many I need, or even how or where to buy it...(I live in Norfolk, Nebraska. I tried to purchase some coroplast from harborsales, but after selecting a couple of sheets (around $16 both) the shipping for that was way over $100! I'm totally lost...please help! THANKS.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:51 PM
kbear

Default RE: Help buying Coroplast

Try calling harbor. I think the web site is wrong.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:22 PM
upnflyin

you are not talking about the fees for shipping full size 4 X 8 ft sheets are you? Have them cut it down to 2X4 ft size and shipping is reasonable. Tell them on the phone you are building spads.
upnflyin
Old 07-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Mike in DC

I agree with everything everybody has said about Harbor Sales. The trick is to buy full sheets but have them cut them so they meet UPS shipping regulations. Calling on the phone is much better than their web site. Be sure to specify which way you want the flutes to run.

In the mean time, keep you eyes open for discarded signs. In my area, the fast food restaurants use a lot of 4mm coro for signs, which eventually end up in their dumpsters. 2mm is less common, but it is sometimes used for packing. A lot of people pick up a lot of 4mm coro right after the elections in the fall, but in my area it's almost all small pieces that aren't too useful.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:35 AM
rinoldi

Great! Thanks for your responses.
If I were to build the debonair, by instance, should I ask them to cut in the 4' x 8' in half? (2 pieces of 2' x 4' ?)
Thanks again for your help!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:03 PM
upnflyin

W W W dot spadtothebone.com/
go to this address and have a good look around. It will answer a lot of your questions about getting materials and hints on construction procedures.
It takes a lot of reading but almost any question is already covered there.
upnflyin
Old 07-28-2006, 01:57 AM
remote59
My Feedback: (2)

Rinoldi try your local sign - print shop the ones that make vinyl letters.I just bought a 4x4 piece couple days ago for $12.00
Old 07-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Mike in DC

ORIGINAL: rinoldi

Great! Thanks for your responses.
If I were to build the debonair, by instance, should I ask them to cut in the 4' x 8' in half? (2 pieces of 2' x 4' ?)
Thanks again for your help!
I've never built a Debonair, but if you go to spadtothebone.com, the first or second page of the plans has a diagram of the suggested cutting for a 4x8 sheet. Essentially it says to cut it into 4 2'x4' pieces, 2 pieces with the flutes going the long way, and 2 pieces with the flutes the short way. Habor will cut it for you, and the UPS man will bring you a 2' x 4' box about an inch thick with 4 pieces of coro in it.