Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

New to SPAD - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 07:59 PM
cooperfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to SPAD - Questions

Joe -

Wanted to give you some feedback = pretty windy conditions this weekend but had an awesome harrier landing - I think some luck was involved but it was cool

Broke the engine mount today (takeoff and very windy)- going to make new and go up again

I am thinking about makaing a GO FAST SPAD out of 1/2 conduit - need some help on wing constrction - How would you make a wing for something like this - going to use .28 engine

Also can you give me some feedback on what glue you use and any prep work

thanks

coop
Old 10-16-2006, 12:18 AM
joe_weisman

Thanks for the report. It's not an easy plane to fly, so expect to change a handful of props and cut a few engine mounts as you go.

I don't know what a go fast is, but I'll try to look it up later. (STTB seems to be down at this moment.)

Welcome to the world of voodoo. coro gluing is covered in www.spadtothebone.com, including all of the ceremonies and chants that make it work. I go by the holy book, invoking the mighty powers of the mineral spirits, fire, water and CA. My only deviation is that I run a full zigzag of medium CA and not a few dots. If you read up you'll find people who do it differently too.

Joe
Old 10-16-2006, 06:29 AM
cooperfly

Joe -

Went into the site - where do you go to get the instrucions on the gluing ??

GO FAST - to me is something that will run full throttle and do laps - maybe swept wing -

thanks again for info
Old 10-16-2006, 07:05 AM
joe_weisman

Look here:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/TipsTr.../tip_index.htm

Go to Material, Flashing & Gluing.

I've never done anything I'd classify as a go fast. All of this spa3d talking got me to build a gnat last week. The week before I tried a .25 paper airplane model which failed to fly. I'm almost finished rebuilding my coroedge 540 after I inverse flat spinned into the ground, and I still have to reinstall the equipment on my corozag. I'm also daydreaming about a few more build ideas, but all in the small 3d / parkflier realm.

However, there a many people who live for fast flying models. Scan the STTB plans, search spadworld and I'm sure you'll find what you want.

Joe
Old 10-18-2006, 06:34 AM
cooperfly

Thanks again Joe for the advice - made new engine mount - stripped the gears in the elevator servo -
Old 10-19-2006, 06:11 PM
cooperfly

Joe -

Couple more questions - wil this plane knife edge - went out today with light winds - had fun but tried knife edge and it seemed to spin out - not sure if I was doing something wrong or if the plane is not capable.

thanks again for help - having fun with the plane
Old 10-21-2006, 09:31 PM
O2man
My Feedback: (5)

Cooperfly,

Do not use lexan for control horns. The material will crack quickly after it hogs out the hole. You know how I know, don't you? PVC scrap will do a great job for control horns. When in doubt, Du-Bro makes great control horns (pretty inexpensive)and they do not break until the SPAD is broken beyond repair. You could even recycle!
Old 10-22-2006, 09:04 AM
joe_weisman

I haven't flown the spa3d myself, but I looked back at your pix and it looks like you didn't add the flat fuse that the latest plans at STTB show. Without the flat fuse it surely won't do anything like a knife edge. How well it would knife edge even with the flat fuse is beyond me. The J wing is a great idea, but it is very obviously unsymmetrical, which may be problematic for knife edges.

Joe
Old 10-23-2006, 11:25 AM
cooperfly

Thanks again Joe and 02man

I will stick this hovers and harriers for know

Old 10-24-2006, 01:42 AM
mikenlapaz

had the problem of no PVC rain gutters or downspouts for control horns. I looked and dismissed the DuBro as the footprint is TOO SMALL for coro applications, IMHO. I ended up buying PVC electrical outlet boxes and cutting them up for horns and backing plates.
Nice plane. Built mine a bit oversized as only had a friend's OS 60 to put on it.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:12 AM
RC/RON

Coop u could always buy the horns at your LHS but i make mine out of gutter pvc they work great. Try a doggy fighter for a fun plane to fly and put a bushing 40 on it it will scream. Oh and no landing gear will improve the speeds, just remember to clock your prop. Ron
Old 10-25-2006, 06:58 AM
cooperfly

Thanks RC/RON for the advice -

coop