Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

GIANT SPAD DESIGN! (update w/ pix)

Well I just did some sketching on a new SPAD design and came up with this. I think it looks pretty sweet[8D] I'm planning for it to have an 8 foot wing span and be around 6 to 7 ft long. It will be powered by two twin 61 2 strokes, one in front and one in back pushing. heres a quick computer sketch of it, what do you think!?

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to support and connect all 3 fuse sections. And support the nose section with the weight of the engine up front with out it warping the wing down.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: GIANT SPAD DESIGN!!!

Crazy,

I love it!
    William McClooney

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another little sketch.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Spads are all about creativity,most anything can be done. Assuming you'll be using downspout its looks like it will be way tail heavy, especially with the pusher engine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

some quick ideas-
    The tail will lighten if you cut the booms bottom taper up to the stab
    Cut into wing for rear engine to move as far forward as it can
    Reduce the fuse long front arm and put stubby lil noses on the booms
    --put servos/batts in the stubbys to balance tail
    --shorter fuse lessens the warp potential as it gets more balanced w/ rear eng
    move booms closer together for more strength keeping all incs aligned

just my 2cents on it, your milage may vary

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah thats not exactly where the sections will be. I drew a scale picture on it on paper and its a little closer together that that. I'm also looking into making it a T-tail. As far as weight goes, I dont think it will be very heavy with this set up. So I'l probably be adding weight to it just so it doesnt fly like a rocket with 2 61's. I'll do some more work and get another update.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You'll be surprised how much it will weigh,if using downspout and 4mm coro for an 8ft wing.I'd say at least 14 lbs if not more. My 48" DPS with a30" fuse weighs over 6lbs.I think 2 60 size engines are up to the task but it wont be over powered.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great job. Keep the good work coming

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

looks good, perhaps you could try replacing the downsput booms wiht alluminum U channel or L channel 1/8 thick with lightening holes drilled throught it to get some of that wieght off, and you will be able to keep the rgidity.

good stuff, look forward to the seeing the outcome

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I already did that, you know, sketched a mixmaster spad. I didn't build it, what, you think I'm crazy?

Looks like a cool idea, let us know how it turns out.
    Intentional landings WITH a PBF are not
    the intentional design OF the PBF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I changed a few things on it. Its now a T-tail, figured that would be better with the pusher prop right next to it so most of the prop wash wont flow over the horizontal stab. Also shortened both back sections.

I'm still trying to figure out something to hold the weight of the front section with the engines. It stick out 2 or 3 feet, and it seems the it will want to fall forward if only connected by the wing. So I'm thinking of maybe using wooden stick to hold all 3 together.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks here
    http://www.adamaircraft.com/home.asp

Something similar!!!

Dan
    Coro fly like balsa...
    But it crash so much better!!!
    aeromaskou.com/forum
    The first french SPAD Forum

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah thats were I got the idea from. I have a poster of the A500 haning in my room and when I thought of building a big plane with 2 engines, the first thing that jumped in my head was the poster. I like the look of the push-pull engine designs so figured I would come up with something similar guess the only real difference is the RC is going to be a high wing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think you'll have to use carbon fiber tubes for tail booms. I'd make the rudders out of a balsa lite-ply sandwich. Then you can make brackets to hold your coro elevator on. Inside the wing I'd make a 1/4" lite-ply plate that woud run the width of the tail booms. This should solve the tail weight problem.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have had a Pusher/Puller for about two years now. See it at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_18...tm.htm#1806004 Wing span is 48 inches and engines are .28 Magnums. In the winter it has no problem taking off on one engine. The engines are supported by 1 inch aluminum square tubing. The two booms are aluminum angles. The square tubing and booms are anchord to hard points on the wing spar via 1/4-20NC steel bolts. The wing spar is made of two parallel yardsticks about one inch apart. Might give you a few ideas.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

CTH while using Carbon Fiber is ok this is the SPAD forum and using words like Ba!$a is verbotten. In fact, you choice of using high dollar Carbon Fiber along with that other stuff kinda makes me want to have the moderator boot ya!

Make it a T tail if ya like, but the one referrenced in the other thread is conventional and takes less rigging and weight.
    Intentional landings WITH a PBF are not
    the intentional design OF the PBF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Villa, thats pretty much the same thing I'm planning on Nice to see that the design works. I noticed that your wing is not removable though, and thats one problem i havent figured out yet is how to connect all 3 fuse sections while having a removable wing.

I'm going to stick with the APC, I'll have plenty of power with 2 61's with that set up, with the size of this I'm thinking it will fly scale like *****g out at 20lbs, but I plan to stay below that weight. I was thinking T-tail because i wasnt sure how the prop wash off the back engine would effect the horizontal stab, but after seeing those 2 planes w/o T-tails I think i'll go back to that set up, will be easy. I'll be using balsa for the horizontal/vertical stabs. The wing will be reinforced on the inside with plywood running the distance between all 3 fuse sections, with the outer 2 sections being bolt on and the center held down with rubber bands.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

CTH while using Carbon Fiber is ok this is the SPAD forum and using words like Ba!$a is verbotten. In fact, you choice of using high dollar Carbon Fiber along with that other stuff kinda makes me want to have the moderator boot ya! Mr. Clean
    Yea but it would be light! Also it wouldn't be the first time I got booted from this forum. LOL!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finally got some stuff to make the fuse out of, couldnt find any PVC so we are using aluminum for it. Here are some pix of what we have so far.

Inside fo the wing, still going to add some ribs for more support.

Layout.

And these really show the size of it with 6ft people next to it!
    Heres my buddy thats building it with me laying next to it.

And me standing next to the wing, I'm 6ft and cant touch the top.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice work, Pilot12. I noticed that you scored the inside of the top of the wing, as is instructed in most of the plans on SPADWORLD. I don't like the resulting sharp crease at the top of the wing, which seems to interfere with a smooth air flow over the wing. I don't crease the top of the wing. I don't recall how I arrived at that since like everyone else, I originally followed the plans. Probably I forgot the crease and ended up liking the results. Looking forward the the "rest of the story".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: GIANT SPAD DESIGN! (update w/ pix)

Have you stress tested your spar? I'm very concerned that the spar's not nearly strong enough for a plane that size.
    And, Villa - you mean SpadtotheBone, not Spadworld, thats where the Spad plans are located.
    No matter how many planes i plant, they just won\'t grow.
    [link]http://www.chrisspad.com/planes/[/link]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm estimating a weight of just under 20lbs ready to fly, so the spars should hold up. I lifted a 25lbs freewight with just one of those balsa sheets in the center of the wing, its flexed but didnt snap. I think it should be fine, I'm still going to put yard sticks on the top of that spar so the wing doesnt fold over and give that crease Villa is tlaking about. I didnt score the top of the wing but it have the crease from folding over that narrow yard stick. So once i put some on the top, it will have about an inch of area to fold over, and should be smoother.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

um..... are you familiar with the g forces of a plane at all? Normally, you need to stress test to 5g's - or 5 times the weight of the plane.
    No matter how many planes i plant, they just won\'t grow.
    [link]http://www.chrisspad.com/planes/[/link]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah I know, trust me the wings not done yet. I know if I flew it like that I would probably see the wing snap and give way. I dont think it will need to stress test to 100lbs though... This plane will do nothing more that fly like a cessna, stright and level.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pilots12 I'm so glad that a younger person is building! Go for it dude! I can't wait to see it finished!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast