Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Design opinions and a reader question

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Design opinions and a reader question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 04:22 PM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Design opinions and a reader question

In the example picture here which would YOU use? I know SPAD is all about doing your thing but one has to be better then the other. :stupid:

Also I never seen any message about a broken spar. I would have to think it happens. Im a contact cement guy so with some laquer thinner I can dissolve apart and service the inside of a wing. What do you CA guys do when something needs fixing inside the wing. :stupid:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	57373_1495.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	35869  
Old 02-22-2003, 04:39 PM
ChrisSpad

Either way works fine.
Here's the difference. If i am understanding, you are building a rnaf wing (4 mil bottom 2 mil top).
you can run the 4 mil on the bottom either direction. For a really flat bottomed airfoil, you run the 4 mil flutes chordwise, add an aileron on top of it, and then glue the 2 mil to the aileron piece, and you get a very flat bottomed wing.
If you want a more semisymmetrical wing, run the flutes on the bottom spanwise, and cut the aileron out of the bottom piece of coro.

As far as differences go, there's not much, the single 4 mil bottom and aileron will fly inverted a little better. Besides that, there's not much diffeence in the two.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:41 PM
onewayHis

So far I've actually built both kinds of wings.

I personally haven't broken a spar or only slightly damaged a wing. I recently destroyed one in a beautiful crash filled with bits and pieces of coro and pvc littering the field, but that required a complete rebuild. Whe I cause damage I do it right......

If you want a flat bottom wing then the bottom drawing is the way to go. Make sure the the flutes for the top piece run from front to back though. Check out the wing on the "Das Plas Stik" at www.spadtothebone.com for an excellent example (and great flying wing). I've built several of them. Easy AND Fast, too

So far though I'm starting to lean toward the one piece of coro, flutes running fron to back, scored and folded with 2 glued in pieces for the 'rons. It allows me to make a more symmetrical wing with greater strength for "lunatic stunt flying"

I'm gonna post pics of my latest wing later today - right now the sun is shining and I hear the sound of 2 stroke engines......

DB
Old 02-22-2003, 05:23 PM
bkf

Thanks: You know I compleatly forgot about flute direction. Well it was early when I was thinking of this, and im not the best drawer in the world.

Thanks again. Ill get this 100" Spadet done by may or june when the 120" of snow may or may not melt. It's sick here right now and another storm of 10" of so is coming tomorrow. Then the muddy season which I have seen last through the next winter.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:54 PM
pinball-RCU

The only time I broke a spar it was broken about 6" from the end. I just pulled out the old part, cut a new one about 8" long, slathered it with thick CA, and stuck it in as best as I could. I ran a bead of CA on the edge of the new piece where it touched the coro. Probably would have flown just as well with the piece missing.

Most of the time the rubber bands protect the spar pretty well.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:33 PM
Tattoo

What do you CA guys do when something needs fixing inside the wing
On a combat plane...I take my exacto knife and cut a window out around the damage, repair/glue/splint/etc... whatever I need to do to get it solid again...and then tape the window back in place with packing tape.

I have yet to break a Spar on a Spad during normal flying. Every Spar that I have broken on a Spad has been the result of a combat mid-air collision.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:55 AM
SeacretsOceanCity

Default Spar muscle

10 yrs ago I bought this Kombat 40 to goof off with, the plane was rebuilt 7 times pushing my ability, just things you wouldnt do with Balsa. Anyhow all 4 mil wing the top is longer cord wise for ailerons. flutes run span wise the spar is 1 plus lattice, wood.

I tried to get this thing to snap with a 46 os sf DIVE indecued
it only broke when we played (who can get closer to the backhoe)

you cant find 1/4square tubing anywhere, they shove a piece of oak in the tail section works perfect to stiffin it up.
I even used shelving brackets aluminum to rebuild the fuse twice

I rebuilt this plane several times with variations each time was a blast. I will never pay 80.00 bux again for it
thanks to you guys and this site.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	57517_25768.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	35870  
Old 02-23-2003, 10:03 AM
bkf

Default Re: Spar muscle

Originally posted by 512 CES
10 yrs ago I bought this Kombat 40 to goof off with, the plane was rebuilt 7 times pushing my ability,

thanks to you guys and this site.
I had a Kombat 60 a few years back. I had an OS 91 Surpass
4S pumped up front. Was that crazy or what. I sold it, needed the bucks.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:17 AM
Woodsy

Ive never thought of repairing a wing, my stacks usualy destroy wings. not only that i can build a new wing in less time than i can repair one.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:26 AM
bkf

Originally posted by onewayHis
So far I've actually built both kinds of wings.

When I cause damage I do it right......

I have had my share of $350 days. I had a SuperStar 60 with a 91 up front. 1 standard servo in the middle didn't make it. I did a high wide loop the servo gear gave up. Heading straight down I was pulling the right stick all the way and nothing happened. Hit the ground, Buried the nose up to the fire wall, The balsa just exploded. And of course because these 4 strokes have that great 45 degree muffler pipe it make for much leverage and snaps the head almost in half, not to mention sucking in dirt which trashed the liner and ring as well. Plus cracking the pump. So about $150 to get the engine fixed. Oh well

I'm gonna post pics of my latest wing later today - right now the sun is shining and I hear the sound of 2 stroke engines......

I look forward to your wing pictures!
Thanks

DB
Old 02-23-2003, 05:59 PM
onewayHis

I'll post my wing pics in my members gallery.

DB