Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

advanced scale techniques

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

advanced scale techniques

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 10:46 PM
flyer_of_planes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advanced scale techniques

I was wondering if someone could offer some tips on some of the more complex techiniques involved in scale spadding.

Such as:

Swept wings, skinning with 2mil, and turtle decks and other rounded body parts.

I'm thinking of spadding a GP super sporster and was looking to get some tips on how to do the more advanced stuff. I know the super sporster has a straight wing, but I thought I'd throw the swept wing question in anyway

Any help welcomed,
~flyer~
Old 03-01-2003, 11:35 PM
ChrisSpad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advanced scale techniques

Yikes! That's a pretty general question. I think it'd take a book to cover it all. But, the first place to look is the plans for the Corostang. They are detailed, and show you how to build a rounded fuse out of 4 mil coro, which is about as good, if not better than any of the other ways.

Foam is your friend, glue it to whatever you are using for a base, and shape it as you want, or use it for formers.

2 mil coro skins just like 4 mil. Cut one side of the flutes off just like you were hinging flute after flute, and you have a 2 mil skin.

I think the easiest way is to use 4 mil coro, and remove flutes for the rounded part. Its strong enough on its own, and requires little or no reinforcement.
You just kinda have to pick a way, and go with it, and modify if it doesn't work . I've built a few scale planes, and no two have been built exactly the same, but they all worked.