Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Perry Ga. swap meet Spad Report. Spads and Spadders were there!

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Perry Ga. swap meet Spad Report. Spads and Spadders were there!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 05:24 PM
boogerboy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perry Ga. swap meet Spad Report. Spads and Spadders were there!

We went to the Perry swap and there was some Spadders there! But only a few spads? We got into spads last fall, and we can't believe the amount of spads not at swap meets? I guess people are either closet Spadders or it's not as popular as I thought? We ARE small part of a BIG hobby! Spads are growing! There are lots of clubs that have never seen a Spad at their flying field! We handed out the spadtothebone.com website info to 100's of people that never heard of it!
I had maybe 5 or 6 people walk up and say they hang out at the spad section on RCU? PaulSwany was there and we hung out talking for a long time! He's a super cool smart guy! We know alot of the same people just not each other! I was really disappionted that ChrisSpad wasn't there! I'm really lookin' forward to hanging out with him and Wart Hog! I guess I'll have to wait for spadfest!
Here is a picture of one of the 2 people spreading the ARF spads.
Thanks Boogerboy!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	59939_9470.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	37215  
Old 03-03-2003, 05:31 PM
boogerboy

Default Another spad arf both.

I'm sorry to the guys who had this booth! I thought I had a better picture! Now these guys can fly a spad or anything else! They had a vcr set up with killer action! Their hovering abilities were second to none! They have a great funfly spad! People just coundn't get enough of their video or their funfly! Boogerboy!

Name:	59942_9470.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	37216  
Old 03-03-2003, 05:38 PM
boogerboy

Default Just a picture of Perry Ga swap

You don't want to miss one of the best swap in the world! Come to Perry Ga. next year and look at 3 big buildings like this! They had two this year and 3 next! We are going to Leb. Penn. this weekend with 540 tables! Be there! Boogerboy!

Name:	59944_9470.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	37217  
Old 03-03-2003, 10:20 PM
ChrisSpad

Paul Swanny is a buddy of mine, we fly at the same feild. He's had the first spadi ever saw. I was hooked from there. I didn't even realize they were going to Perry. Unfortunately, i don't get to travel alot. But, i'll defenitely be at spadfest.
Did you happen to meet Gator and Charlie? or was Paul there by himself?
Old 03-04-2003, 02:14 AM
boogerboy

Default I think so?

There was two guys with him. One has some engines for sale. Their older guys. Paul didn't hang out at his booth much. He was doin' some serious shopping! I'm sending him some clear coro 2morrow for a night pbf. I'm lookin' forward to seeing his taco plane! Boogerboy!
Old 03-04-2003, 02:25 AM
ChrisSpad

lol. Paul and his taco, man, talk about a hard luck story. I am sure he told you about it. Lost in a midair, on its maiden, rebuilt, and lost again (i think). The old guy was Charlie, he's our club's trader. Always has a deal. I'd bet the other was Roger, our engine guru (maybe he had the engines for sale. lol). But, they're all great guys. Glad you got to meet them.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:19 PM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: Another spad arf both.

Originally posted by boogerboy
I'm sorry to the guys who had this booth! I thought I had a better picture! Now these guys can fly a spad or anything else! They had a vcr set up with killer action! Their hovering abilities were second to none! They have a great funfly spad! People just coundn't get enough of their video or their funfly! Boogerboy!

You see the orange and white plane right in front of white hat's face? That plane is sitting on my kitchen table right now. Our first SPAD experience but my son just had to have it.
I'll admit that I'm a little concerned that the 40FP I installed is not going to fly it very well....This is new to me but the weight seems to be climbing and I'm definitely going to have to add a little lead for ballast.
Good looking coroplast plane though. We can hardly wait!
Old 03-06-2003, 02:17 PM
G.F. Reid

Well, I decided to swap the FP out for a TT46 I had lying around. Helped with the balance and power should be adequate.
Hmmmm....this coroplast stuff has got me talking to myself now...
Old 03-06-2003, 02:47 PM
nukes

First signs of addiction.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:36 PM
twilli77
My Feedback: (2)

The planes were great. I think they were asking around $50 for them. I asked them why so much and they said they were highly specialized "tweaked" versions!!
Old 03-07-2003, 07:12 PM
G.F. Reid

Yeah, they were $50 and the most expensive there. I figured it was worth it becuase I told my son if he REALLY wanted it, he'd have to give me the $20 he was going to spend on a DVD and I'd make up the rest.
I counted that as something of a victory for me...heh, heh..and BTW, it is a very nicely designed coroplast plane. Should be ready to fly by tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:48 PM
ChrisSpad

I think they were asking around $50 for them. I asked them why so much and they said they were highly specialized "tweaked" versions!!
Come on guys? How valuable is your time? I used to build arf's, and let me break it down for you. First, you've got materials, by the time you buy all the bits and pieces, your looking at about 10-12.00 a plane, depending on size. And, if you are really good, and really lucky, it'll take about 2-3 hours for you to build the plane. Plus, you've got to get it to the meet, your time to buy the materials and gas. You end up with about 4 hours or so involved in each plane (if all goes well, and you dont have to recut a wing or set of tailfeathers, or whatever). So, for all your effort you've made about 10.00 an hour. Would you work for that?
Old 03-07-2003, 09:54 PM
FrankC29

You know, my wife keeps asking me if this Spad thing can't make a buck or two, since I'm into it all the time. I had to break it to her that there really isn't much, if any, money to be made here. The list of reasons go on and on. Plus she would never see me again, that is if I'm going to have a decent output. I see myself having no life for little return. No thanks. I very much respect those who do it, and I think $50 is fair. For the price of a kit, you get much more, with less time than an ARF to get it ready to fly, and it will last. Plus you can look to it to figure out how these things are made.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:35 PM
G.F. Reid

I thought it was fair for what we got. The only hesitancy I had was that they were just somewhere between 10 and 20 dollars more than the other guy's. The deciding factor was that I could see that he'd taken a bit more time in the design and appearance. Flame decals, attractive color schemes and such. He even included all the dowels and screws and a set of photo instructions.
If you look at the one's I pointed out above, you'll see what I mean.
BTW, when I told him I'd probably come back and get it on my way out, he told me that they'd all be gone. Well, they were, every one, gone before the day was over.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:54 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Greg is a SPAD flyer??

Well I'll be! That's cool, the father-son story really has a nice ring to it also. We really know it's gonna be more "father" than "son"...that is until it comes time to clean it!!LOL

Sounds like a hoot, of course we will want graphic descriptions of the test flights.

Oh yeah..hows about some better pics of the poor..er I mean proud little plane!!
Old 03-08-2003, 12:11 AM
G.F. Reid

Default Re: Greg is a SPAD flyer??

Originally posted by ChuckAuger
We really know it's gonna be more "father" than "son"...that is until it comes time to clean it!!LOL
You don't know my son. It'll be just the opposite! He's been flying for a while actually, just needs to learn taking off from the ground, engine handling and that kinda stuff..

Sounds like a hoot, of course we will want graphic descriptions of the test flights.
Oh yeah..hows about some better pics of the poor..er I mean proud little plane!!
I hope to get some pics tomorrow after...uh, no, before the first flight!
Old 03-08-2003, 12:21 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Well...

I think ya did good..a $50 practically indestructible plane already built. I know you said Robin had some motor glider stick time, this ought to be a real hoot! Who knows..he MIGHT let you fly it.

P.S. He ought to really be able to "let out some line" on this baby
Old 03-09-2003, 05:29 AM
G.F. Reid

Well, we got three flights with the thing today and the flights went well.
First flight, I took off and got it trimmed out, deadsticked it. Second flight, I took off and handed the tx to Robin. He flew most of the tank out and I landed (over his protests).
The third flight, he insisted that he could take it off. I had my doubts but it's coroplast, so I figured, what can he hurt right? To my surprise, he did it with no problems. He took off, flew the tank nearly out and landed. No problems whatsoever. That was his first full solo and the first time he's done any flying at all since about August. Not bad...I can see I'll be relagated to ground crew pretty soon.
The plane flew well and the TTPro is plenty of power for it.
Might need a little downthrust or maybe I've got the ailerons flexed too far up? Down? I dunno....but it flies with a definite 'nose up' attitude at w.o.t..
This is my first flight with a coroplast plane and the only difference I noticed is when I deadsticked it I WAY overestimated the glide path. I didn't make it anywhere near the runway. No problem landing it though, I just had to walk out a ways to get it.
Good experience with the overall design.
Oh yeah Jeff, I got a picture
Old 03-09-2003, 02:48 PM
ChrisSpad

I usually end up adding a bit of downthrust to mine as well, so don't feel bad. But, i only add it if i trim it at half throttle, and it climbs when i go to full throttle, and only a little, then, just a couple of degrees.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:42 PM
G.F. Reid

Thanks, that's what I'll try because that's exactly what his is doing. Flies fine at half throttle.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:06 AM
G.F. Reid

Default The Hobgoblin

Ok, here's the pic Jeff-